Forum: Highland / Highland - Costumes

Page:
Page 3 of 41 2 3 4
re: Hose Knitting Pattern
By tartandancer59member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 26, member since Wed Mar 17, 2010
On Tue Jul 06, 2010 05:49 PM
Last year I decided to knit a pair for my DD. I only taught myself to knit a few months before that. I jumped into the deep end and bought the kit from wool express. It took me 7 months of part time knitting but I got through it all.

My DD wore her hand knitted hose to her first Championship placing and considers them her lucky hose.

Now I have started my own business in sewing costumes, bought a knitting machine and I am quite happily learning to do them on the double bed machine.

It is so satisfying.
By crestdale Comments: 9, member since Fri Feb 19, 2010
On Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:34 PM
Hi,

Would you tell me where I could purchase a machine knitting pattern for Highland hose, as I would like to try knitting a pair on my machine for my neice.
By crestdale Comments: 9, member since Fri Feb 19, 2010
On Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:36 AM
Hi,
Do you know where I could get a pattern for use on a knitting machine to knit hose for my wee neice.?

Regards

Crestdale
By tartandancer59member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 26, member since Wed Mar 17, 2010
On Wed Sep 08, 2010 06:50 PM
I am not aware of any patterns for the dance hose that are out there for sale. I have had to derive my own pattern. This pattern is for my daughter's feet right now. Of course, knitting machines come in different brands and styles so a pattern for one machine may not be possible on another machine.
By Shackmom Comments: 116, member since Sun Jan 09, 2011
On Tue Jan 18, 2011 08:27 AM
To Dundee Dancer, I was wondering if you could send me in an email the photos and copy of the patern on the socks patern. My email is dj5shacks@centurylink.net I am not yet a full member yet and would love to get this from you!!
Thanks Jennifer
By amymacd Comments: 1, member since Sat Jan 29, 2011
On Sat Jan 29, 2011 09:00 AM
Has anybody got a copy of the charts and spreadsheets for these socks? I would also love them. I am a new member so cannot PM the original poster. Please help! I really want to make kilt socks before purchasing the kit. Thank you! My email is amymacd@hotmail.com
By TETrus Comments: 70, member since Sun Apr 01, 2012
On Sat Apr 07, 2012 09:18 AM
I am trying to research before I begin this project. I am looking for some tips (I read so many helpful things before I made my daughters first aboyne costume)

Has anyone bought the new Tartan Hose book from Wool Express? They are not selling kits anymore.
www.woolexpress.com . . ..
I also found a kit online For £15, including yarn, but there aren't many details, and it does not seem designed to match specific tartans or include marl
mobilecrafts.co.uk . . .

Also, found a great tip for keeping the yarn organized while knitting the socks ( note these are just argyle and not true highland hose)
www.siskiyouknits.com . . .
This also includes a pattern for shorter argyle socks which may be able to be modified to make hose...not an experienced knitter, so unsure.

Thanks in advance for any comments
By sockerMom Comments: 56, member since Mon Nov 21, 2011
On Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:26 AM
I bought the book. It's very good. It would help you to make adjustments to the pattern depending on the yarn you use and the gauge if it's different from the kits. I did get enough yarn to make a pair of hose which did offset the higher price. I don't know if they still have yarn available with the book orders. Also, the author and partner have been helpful with a few questions I asked via email.

The kit you found online is a bit strange. There is no marl. That is, the mixed of white and main color using one of each ply. I think I'd want to see this kit before buying. 3 ply sounds like it would come out quite thick and the colors are very limited and probably wouldn't match exactly. It is a great price, though. Maybe you could buy the 2 ply yarn that they offer and make your own marl.

I made that exact argyle box from the link you show. I didn't find it helpful. The colors still get very tangled. Maybe because dance socks are so much longer. I found the WoolExpress kit pattern advice much better. You can use shorter lengths of each color that don't get tangled. You can pull them through, rather than having them get twisted. I think that they suggest about a meter, but I probably use 2 to avoid as much splicing and loose ends. I use a braided splice to join the new piece of yarn. I found a video on youTube. This splice works well with the 2 ply yarn used. I can't find it now. :(

There is also some good advice on the forum on ravelry.com. Search for woolExpress or Argyle or Highland Dance.
On Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:30 AM
Thanks for the quick advice. Much appreciated.

Sorry to hear the box didn't work... It looked like such a smart idea...
By GailyBmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 126, member since Fri Dec 05, 2008
On Sat Apr 07, 2012 04:18 PM
anyone who is bored is more than welcome tae knit my wee lassie (age 2 and half ) a pair oh socks tae match her kilt lol i did try talking my mam into knittin her a pair but she refused sadly :( lol x well done tae all u ladies brave enough tae try making them ..... i so wish i could knit lol x
On Thu Apr 12, 2012 06:57 PM
1 more wonder about marl... I know that this is traditional and the marled yarn mimics the area in the tartan where 2 colour threads are combined, but has anyone tried using a colour that looks similar from a few feet away... as in perhaps using a muted blue instead of making your own marled yarn from white and royal blue. From what I've read, people seem to be winding yarn together themselves to make the marl....maybe I'm headed back to sewing...
On Thu Apr 12, 2012 08:00 PM
TETrus ... Making the marl isn't a big deal. There are much bigger challenges. :) GailyB ... I wish I could knit everyone's socks. It's very additive. Once you learn how it's hard to stop. :)
On Thu Apr 12, 2012 09:53 PM
Oops. I meant addictive.
On Thu Apr 12, 2012 09:56 PM
Oops. I meant addictive, not additive.
By KathyP Comments: 464, member since Thu Apr 06, 2006
On Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:44 PM
Tetrus-
I make up hose kits for sale. I use the same yarn manufacturer, weight and most of the same colors as Woolexpress did. Each kit is made up special, it is not an off the shelf item and I will dye to match for an extra fee. (For dyeing I either need a swatch of the tartan if it is a new kilt or must send you yarn first to match.)
I have a "recipe" that is included...it won't teach you to knit a pair of socks but if you are good on the knitting front the chart and directions will be enough.

bonnietoes.bigcartel.com . . .
On Sat Apr 21, 2012 07:59 PM
Glad to hear you are doing kits - Kathy P. (had been on the Bonnie Toes site before but with the calendar mentioning dates from last season, I wasn't sure if site was current) glad to hear they are still available. I will consider this when I have a kilt to match. I am just trying to learn the process now, and wanted to try it out with no deadline ...My daughter has a full outfit and 2 pair of socks right now.
By KathyP Comments: 464, member since Thu Apr 06, 2006
On Sat Apr 21, 2012 09:42 PM
Been meaning to update the site...thanks for the reminder. Sounds like your daughter is set for awhile which is a great thing!!
By pinky58 Comments: 2, member since Sun Mar 18, 2012
On Wed May 02, 2012 09:46 AM
I am trying to find 3ply sock yarn in the Uk so that I can have these socks made up for me. Does anyone know of a suitable yarn and supplier please? I can find 4ply but not 3ply anywhere. Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated!
By emlougar Comments: 25, member since Thu Jul 14, 2011
On Mon May 14, 2012 07:28 AM
Lovely socks am going to attempt my own and have fingers crossed they will turn out half as well
By HighlandDafty Comments: 6, member since Wed Jan 23, 2013
On Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:59 AM
Hi Dundee Dancer Did you use the pattern above and where did you get the wool from or what kind did you use? Thank you in advance
By DundeeDancer Comments: 513, member since Mon Apr 02, 2007
On Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:05 PM
Hello HighlandDafty,
I originally used the pattern and wool sold by WoolExpress (as a kit). They are no longer making the kits though. The weight of yarn is the same as the Maine Line of Jaggerspun yarn - if you can find the colors to match that is a great option. Otherwise, there are some DDNers that dye yarn to match, and will use the proper weight yarn too - you may be able to purchase from them.

Good luck,
DundeeDancer
On Fri Jan 25, 2013 05:20 PM
What colours did you use for the red socks and how do you get the marl effect? X
On Fri Jan 25, 2013 05:37 PM
Hello Highland Dafty,
Which red socks are you referring to?
The marl is just like in the tartans where two main colors cross - generally in dance tartans this would be white and another color (ie: red) - so you would wind the two strands together and knit with it. For the main colors you would take two strands of the same color, then you would have the same yarn weight.

DundeeDancer
On Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:08 PM
Edited by HighlandDafty (256378) on 2013-01-25 12:13:15
Thank you hope mine turn out as good as yours. How long did it take to knit socks? X
On Fri Jan 25, 2013 08:24 PM
The time to make a pair of socks would depend on your ability, and if you are knitting by hand or by machine.
Someone mentioned above it took 70 hours - that was probably true of my first hand-made pair as I knit for an hour or two most evenings over 6 weeks. Now, I use a machine and have made quite a few, so if I had to, I could make a pair over a weekend (~20 hours).

Good luck.
Page:
Page 3 of 41 2 3 4

ReplySendWatch