Forum: Highland / Highland - Costumes

Page:
Page 4 of 41 2 3 4
re: Hose Knitting Pattern
By sockerMom Comments: 56, member since Mon Nov 21, 2011
On Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:55 PM
I just finished a pair by hand. It was my seventh pair over 2 1/2 years. It took 80 hours over 8 weeks. It was a split-diamond, double marl so lots of ends to weave in.
By HighlandDafty Comments: 6, member since Wed Jan 23, 2013
On Tue Jan 29, 2013 04:35 PM
Does any one what yarn you would use or where I can get from I'm in the UK all the web links seem to not work. Thanks x
On Thu Jan 31, 2013 02:31 PM
Where do you get the pattern for the turn over Highland socks as the pattern on here has rib at the top.
Cant wait to hear from you or anyone else
On Thu Jan 31, 2013 02:32 PM
How do you do the turn over bit as the pattern on here has rib?
By DundeeDancer Comments: 513, member since Mon Apr 02, 2007
On Thu Jan 31, 2013 04:45 PM
I have dug out my instructions from the knit kits (XX is the number of stitches required to go around the knee - at least 2x YY and up to 3x, YY is the number of rows required to complete one diamond, these are both a result of your tension and dancers measurements):

"Sock Top and Cuff:
The sock is knit from the cuff to the foot...
Cast on XX stitches loosely in marl on 2 1/4 mm single point needle. Knit YY rows in stocking stitch. This is the sock top facing.
Knit the sock top following the chart for YY rows... (cuff diamond)
Knit YY more rows in reverse stocking stitch. This is now the front of the sock. If you are knitting for a very slim leg, try using a smaller needle size for this part of the sock..."

I hope this helps you. If you are knitting on a machine (all stitches facing front), start with the diamond pattern, then knit 2x YY rows (cuff facing and undercuff) before starting with the first leg diamond.

Clear as mud??

DundeeDancer
By sew_what Comments: 113, member since Mon Mar 18, 2013
On Mon Mar 18, 2013 03:00 PM
This looks complicated. I wish I could knit though. They are very lovely. So glad someone could post the pattern instructions because someone I know could knit them for my daughter. but how do you adjust the pattern for size?
On Mon Mar 18, 2013 04:06 PM
To adjust for size, it is all in the math -> your tenion and the dancers measurements.

Lets say your tention is 10 stitches/inch, and your dancers ankle is 8 inches around. You need two full diamonds to go around the ankle = 4 inches each = 4x10 = 40 stitches per diamond.

Then, take your dancers calf measurement. If it is 12 inches, then that would be perfect for a 3rd full diamond to make fully fashioned hose with a mirrored diamond at the back where the seam is. 40 x 3 = 120 total stitches for cast on.

To work out how many diamonds to make up the let, you need to know how many rows per inch your tention will give. If you need 15 inches, and your tension is 14 rows/inch, then it is 15" - heel height (~1.5") = 13.5"
13.5" x 14 rows/inch = 189 total rows divided by 40 rows (for a perfect diamond) = 4.73 diamonds. Remember the first diamond is on the cuff, so you have 3.75 diamonds to go down the leg.

Generally, the remaining 0.25 is carried onto the forefoot, and maybe even one more diamond on the forefoot to carry the pattern on. Also, to decrease from the 120 cast on stitches to 80 ankle stitches you would have to plan that out before you get to far down the leg - I normally work it out to me the middle 1/3 of the total leg length.

There are probably many ways to figure this out, but this is the process I go through. Good luck!
By gingermom Comments: 20, member since Sun Mar 24, 2013
On Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:41 PM
Thank you for posting this. It is intimidating enough, but glad to have the info. Wish my granny was still around to help me out!
By StrawberryGirl Comments: 1, member since Wed Jul 31, 2013
On Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:31 AM
Thanks DundeeDancer for all the great info!

Can you pm me your chart and directions? That would be much appreciated!

Question about marl... I used one strand pink and one white but I'm finding that it's knitting up looking more blotchy than "marl". I'm wondering if others have the same problem. Thinking of rewinding the two yarns by twisting them.
By Bril Comments: 150, member since Thu Mar 07, 2013
On Wed Jul 31, 2013 01:23 PM
For the marle, yes you need to ply (spin/twist) the two colours together before knitting. I just finished making myself a pair and definitely prefer the properly marled look over the just knitted together look.
By okiwen Comments: 4, member since Sun Oct 20, 2013
On Sun Oct 20, 2013 09:58 AM
Great info. Now to cheat... I will be making for normal kilt hose so I'll assume a bit thicker is okay.

If someone has a knitting chart they can email, I will try to figure out the decreases and other measurements.

New at this but looking forward to starting.

What about slipping the first stitches or selvage stitch I've heard about? Kinda concerned with a proper seam.

New so I can't PM. Sorry

Thank in advance
On Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:07 AM
Great info. Now to cheat... I will be making for normal kilt hose so I'll assume a bit thicker is okay.

If someone has a knitting chart they can email, I will try to figure out the decreases and other measurements.

New at this but looking forward to starting.

What about slipping the first stitches or selvage stitch I've heard about? Kinda concerned with a proper seam.

New so I can't PM. Sorry

Thank in advance
On Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:12 AM
Sorry. I tried to delete extra post. Won't do it.
By emmyport Comments: 911, member since Thu Mar 13, 2008
On Tue Nov 26, 2013 09:50 PM
Does anyone have the charts & is willing to email them to me? Thanks! :)
On Wed Nov 27, 2013 01:23 AM
Too new to PM Emmyport, if you get a chart, could you send it to me?
By michellecm Comments: 1, member since Thu Apr 03, 2014
On Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:18 PM
Hello - I am new and am looking for the Wool Express highland pattern. It seems their website is no longer active and I would like to knit my daughter some hose. Does anyone know where I can get this pattern?
Thanks!
By highlandgran Comments: 16, member since Sun Mar 09, 2014
On Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:58 AM
Hi,
I have knit 2 pairs of hose for my granddaughter. I didn't have a pattern so my husband downloaded knitters graph paper from the internet and coloured in the pattern. I wrote my pattern as I went along. As regards shaping, my granddaughter needed it so you do have to work that out before starting so you know how many stitches to decrease before you reach the ankle and which row to decrease on. Hope this helps. It worked out great for me and she wore the 1st. pair for almost 4 years!
By travelbug Comments: 25, member since Sun Sep 11, 2005
On Tue Sep 30, 2014 02:39 AM
interesting
By faylan Comments: 4, member since Sun Dec 06, 2015
On Mon Dec 14, 2015 06:38 AM
Like so many others I am in need of charts. My girls are new to highland dance and I was really hoping to knit them each a pair. They dont compete yet so Im not feeling like investing in actual tartan patterns yet but would like them to look authentic. thanks a bunch.
By Eclow1989 Comments: 23, member since Mon Sep 08, 2014
On Wed Jan 06, 2016 06:34 AM
Does this pattern involve the cuff?? Also wondering about yarn options, my cousin said she would love to make my socks for me and I just want to make sure I give her everything she needs to know before we get too into this and find out something went wrong. Also measurements what measurements will I need to give her and how will that apply to this pattern?
Thank you for your help
By Eclow1989 Comments: 23, member since Mon Sep 08, 2014
On Wed Jan 06, 2016 06:41 AM
I also would love a chart and any other information my email is
erin.clow@hotmail.com
I cant get PM yet as I am not a full member
On Thu Jan 07, 2016 09:29 PM
I sent you an email Eclow1989.
By faylan Comments: 4, member since Sun Dec 06, 2015
On Fri Jan 08, 2016 05:47 AM
could I get the info also please. jenny.r@live.ca
By Milli1 Comments: 1, member since Fri Sep 23, 2016
On Fri Sep 23, 2016 02:23 PM
Hi
I was wondering if you could send the charts and spreadsheets please, you've made a fantastic job of the socks
Page:
Page 4 of 41 2 3 4

ReplySendWatch