Forum: Disco / Disco - 18+

Something has to go. Which would you pick
By disco_natmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri May 16, 2008 06:36 PM

Hi all
i work and i pay for everything myself to do with dance. I also like to go out with mates like any teenager but the thing is i have just passed my driving test and need a car to get me about and i can't afford everything. So i'm thinking something has to go either i dont go out, or i quit dance n save for my car OR i dnt save for a car.
Im stuck :( so wanted to see what others would do

18 Replies to Something has to go. Which would you pick

re: Something has to go. Which would you pick
By Hannah_spana
On Sat May 17, 2008 10:44 AM
Hi
thats a tough one, I havent had lessons yet and Im always using a bus so personally I think I could live without a car! I dont think you should quit dance, you may regret that, and I also understand you want to go out! If you have a bit of spare time maybe see if you could get a few extra hours at work?
Hannah x
By AandKDesignzmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat May 17, 2008 10:46 AM
Ooh thats a toughie!
Maybe get an extra wee job to help pay for the car? and you can still do the things you love.
I understand the importance of having a car when you pass its like a need :P haha! I was lucky though and got a car for my 18th :D
Love Amy xxx
By LottieLou
On Sat May 17, 2008 11:08 AM
Well done on passing your test.
I personally wouldn't buy a car just yet.
Emjoy your dancing AND going out whilst you
are young (and full of energy !).
You'll find a way to get to where you want to go.
Have fun
Love Michelle
By Fizi_Kal
On Sat May 17, 2008 11:21 AM
If you buy a car the expense dosn't stop there.

Theres the insurance, road tax and petrol just to start.

Then theres MOTS, tyres and those unexpected repairs which add up.

If it means giving up going out or dancing, personally i,d give up the car till you can afford all of them.

Why not start saving and see what happens.

Tracy
By sammyjo
On Sat May 17, 2008 11:27 AM
It depends how much you love to dance and how desperate you need a car??
Is there anyway you could share a car with your mum- this is what I do and it works perfectly!! I know obviously this wouldnt work for everyone though just a thought
If I was in your situation I would prospone having a car as you have all your life for a car and only a few years of dancing left!
sammy jo xxx
By Smartiesx2member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat May 17, 2008 11:31 AM
Hi there, life throws up some difficult choices... once you give up dance its really hard to go back.. how much are you enjoying your dancing?? a car is really expensive to run...
The real choice seems to be to continue dancing or not... you need to decide how important dancing still is to you or whether you want to move onto your adult life with all its responsibilities now... good luck with your choice... love...x
On Sun May 18, 2008 04:18 AM
Thank you everyone. Ive decided to look for another job as mine doesn't seem to pay enough..
By claire_tomlinson
On Mon May 19, 2008 03:57 AM
nooo nat you cant leave dancing!! you know we have too much fun. who am i supposed to laugh at when you get the slow routine completely wrong at the show :D

ive told you, you can borrow my car when you want,lol :)

my advice is to still go out but cut down how much you go out and just save the best you can to get a car. also getting a better paid job is a good idea!

just dont quit dancing (come on everyone, help me persuade her never to leave,pmsl) :D

claire xx
By princessamimember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon May 19, 2008 04:01 AM
would you be interested in retireing from dance and teaching it instead?? then you still get to be totally involved with everything from comps to lessons but instead of using your money to pay for it all you will be getting paid for something you love

if you are loving competing still then dont even consider this for a second but if not it might be a way to keep up with everything you want to do

elle xxx
By dancingrachmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon May 19, 2008 05:48 AM
Hi,

As others have said, is it possibel for you to share a car with a parent or sibling, that way you could contribute to the petrol etc without having the full expense of running a car (insurance, tax, mot's etc).

Maybe cut down a little on going out or have more girly nights in?

Love Rach
xox
By Helen_elise
On Tue Jun 10, 2008 07:54 AM
Hello,

A few people have mentioned about getting a part time job which sounds good. Maybe hold back of comps for a while and if you get a Saturday job for a bit...cut back on spending when you go out (that could be on an evening with your friends) so you can save for the car then once you have enough go back to dancing comp!!

It sounds easier than it is!!

Good luck.

Helen x
By Beckie_Dancer
On Tue Jun 10, 2008 03:24 PM
Hmmm a very tough one!
I was very fortunate to still have my lessons paid for me but ive passed my teaching exam now so im teaching myself and ive passed my driving test too but i havent got a car yet.
I would say think of what you want most, because the chances are if you gave dancing up now you more than likely not going to get back into it. Youve managed so far to get around without a car but if you feel you want the car more then go for it :D

Hope this helps!
Beckie x x
By gill_cmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jun 16, 2008 08:13 AM
You have your driving license for life! Keep dancing while you're still young! :D

Gill x
On Mon Jun 16, 2008 04:05 PM
Thank you everyone. Iv decided that im going to dance till december then take a break from comps next year and do less to save a bit
By sophistikat
On Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:56 AM
Hi,
Its mot the car thats going to brwak the bank, its the tank of petrol!
sharon
By pink_dancer14
On Mon Jun 30, 2008 08:54 AM
If you still enjoy dancing then continue with that but if you feel that you want the car more than you want to continue dancing then you should buy a car.
xxx
By pauline5
On Sun Jul 20, 2008 01:36 PM
i have been in the same position as you and work pay for my car but dont stop dancing. just cut down on the amount you do i work in bar which pays for my car and one dance comp a month and just go to one dance lesson as your older now so can do alot of it without teaher help!!! - and i also find time to go out down town with my mates!!!

Pauline x x x
By pauline5
On Sun Jul 20, 2008 01:37 PM
i have been in the same position as you and work pay for my car but dont stop dancing. just cut down on the amount you do i work in bar which pays for my car and one dance comp a month and just go to one dance lesson as your older now so can do alot of it without teaher help!!! - and i also find time to go out down town with my mates!!!

Pauline x x x

ReplySendWatch