Forum: Guard / Color Guard

Rifle first year?
By MiniMissAlly
On Wed May 21, 2008 08:54 PM

I'm joining my school's color guard this year as something new. I have danced and done baton before but I don't know how much that would help.

Anyways I really want to spin rifle this year and I plan on working extremely hard at it but even putting in a ton of extra practice time is it realistic that I could maybe be able to spin rifle this year?

Always,
Ally

5 Replies to Rifle first year?

re: Rifle first year?
By Colombian89
On Fri May 23, 2008 06:08 PM
Its very possible to be able to spin rifle on your first year. I heard some schools only allow first year colorguard members to spin flag though. My highschool wasn't like that at all and they had a full rifle sections durring the show. It all depends on your colorguard director and the program.
By iheartband09
On Mon May 26, 2008 12:49 AM
If you want to spin rifle, I suggest start as early as you can working on learning it. Get a vet who has been trained on rifle or your captain or something, and have them teach you the proper way to do consecutives, the stop exercise, flourishes, and at least a triple. Those are the basic things you are going to want to know. Another thing about rifle: When learning it will be very easy to want to give up. It is very difficult to do things with good technique and it is very easy to get frustrated with yourself. If you want to be good at it, the most important thing is to NEVER give up.
By Munki03
On Wed May 28, 2008 11:00 AM
Yes, begin practicing as much as you can. Once you feel let go of being scared, the better. And it may or may not depend on what has been done in the past. For instance, the high school guard that I teach did not spin rifles before I was a coach. I had to include freshman on the main rifle line....there was also a section of our winterguard show where the whole team spun rifle as well.
By Munki03
On Wed May 28, 2008 11:01 AM
I also recommend practicing with someone who can teach you the technique, otherwise you will develop very bad habits. Good luck! ;)
By Flitzcgcg06member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jun 01, 2008 05:06 PM
It just depends on the guard you are a part of. A requirement for the guard I was in in high school was that you could only spin a weapon after you had spun flag for at least a season before. It could be different where you are though.

ReplySendWatch