Popular Ballet

Big Toe Problem by hokiedancer
Hi! I'm an Irish dancer, but many times, we aren't as technically trained, so I am reaching out to...

Forum: Gym / Gymnastics

Gymnastics
My Daughter is 13 she is wanting to start Gymnastics - Is She Too OLD en>fr fr>en
By TheKidsMam Comments: 1932, member since Mon Oct 04, 2004
On Sun May 25, 2008 03:50 AM
Edited by TheKidsMam (108337) on 2008-05-25 03:53:22 spelling
Edited by TheKidsMam (108337) on 2008-05-25 03:54:17 more info

Hi All

My 13 year old is wanting to start Gymnastics. She is a Freestyle Dancer at the moment, she can do all three splits, front walkover, back walkover, she has nearly mastered her back catch.

Will she start at the basic level? When she was younger she went to Gymnastics and did rolly polleys (mind she was only five) etc but feel she would be embarrased doing these, or will she have to start at this level again. I Hope this comment doesnt offend anyone but we don't understand the Gymnastic world! Sorry. When I phoned to speak to the coach she actually remembered Demi from all those years ago, she said she was really good on the beam, which I thought was really nice.

How long will it take before we see results in strength etc? Or is she just too old?

Lots of Love
Andrea

10 Replies to My Daughter is 13 she is wanting to start Gymnastics - Is She Too OLD

re: My Daughter is 13 she is wanting to start Gymnastics - Is She Too OLD en>fr fr>en
By horseygymnastmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 480, member since Sat Aug 19, 2006
On Sun May 25, 2008 11:54 PM
Edited by horseygymnast (165386) on 2008-05-25 23:57:04
No, your daughter is definetly not too old. I know many people who started gymnastics as an adult. It's just like any other hobby/sport/ect, as long as she has a passion for it, she well have fun.

She may not be going off to the olympics, but she can still have a lot of fun and depending on how it works where you are (I'm in Canada, so it's a bit different), she could probably even have chances to compete. I know people who just started gymnastics at 16 with some dance experience, and they did so well in competitions.

For classes, they would probably put her in a beginner/ intermediate class at first, and then move her up or down a level to fit her skills. Gymnastics is a bit different form dance. The skills are not just tumbling, but strength and other things for things such as bars and vault.

For strength, it all depends on the person and how hard they work. If they cut corners and don't try, then obviously they won't get to far. I'm not saying your daughter is like that, but some people are.

re: My Daughter is 13 she is wanting to start Gymnastics - Is She Too OLD en>fr fr>en
By thirstykirsty Comments: 589, member since Sun Jan 15, 2006
On Tue May 27, 2008 02:36 AM
well i am 13 and i started gymnastics a few month ago that had just started and found that i was the oldest there and it was too easy
but it depends where you go if there are other people your age then go for it :)
hope this helps
love kirsty
xxx
By RileyA Comments: 2914, member since Tue Jan 03, 2006
On Tue May 27, 2008 05:54 AM
13 is a great age to start gymnastics. Lots and lots of people start up the sport in their teen or even adult years. The fact that she has had dance experience and is so flexible will be of an incredible benefit.

It is hard to say what level she will start at, most gyms have beginners classes for older kids so she wont find herself in a class of 5 and 6 year olds. She may however find that her dance background means she can skip straight to a more advanced level or if not that she will no doubt find she will move up to a higher level quickly. Many of the skills she has learned in dance she will be doing on the floor and beam, it just may take a while for her to develop the basics on vault and bars, aswell as basic gymnastics tecnhinque on floor and beam.

I can garentee you that yes she will have to do rolley polleys as you call them, but they are usually called forward rolls. Nothing to be embarrassed about as they are a basic gymnastics skill that leads to many more advanced skills. Even the top olympic level gymnasts practise these.
By pointe92member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 807, member since Fri May 25, 2007
On Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:13 PM
you are never too old in my opinion! :)
By TheKidsMam Comments: 1932, member since Mon Oct 04, 2004
On Mon Jul 07, 2008 03:46 PM
Hi All
Thanks for your comments
Just thought I would keep you posted Demi started gymnastics two weeks ago and they have moved her up into the intermediate section, she is really pleased.

los of love
andrea xx
By carson53 Comments: 1, member since Mon Aug 18, 2008
On Mon Aug 18, 2008 01:15 PM
nobody is to old to start gymnastics but if she wants to be the best she should of started her when she was 2
By CRDCdancePremium member Comments: 102, member since Tue Oct 09, 2007
On Tue Aug 19, 2008 06:56 AM
I coach gymnastics and I think that at age 13 its gonna be tough, if she had no basics or fundamentals now, but like anything when u start as you grow older its difficult, encourage her that she is capable and dont get frustrated with learning the basics, you need them. Good Luck!
By BecMcLean_xx Comments: 21, member since Tue Aug 12, 2008
On Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:16 AM
Hi :)
13 Is Probably Not Too Old
To Start Gymnastics As Your
Daughter Is Already, By The
Sounds Of It, Slexible Enough
To Catch Up :) Especially As
She Is A Dancer!
Good Luck!
Love Bec
By AmberSA Comments: 80, member since Mon Mar 31, 2008
On Thu Aug 21, 2008 05:19 AM
hi,
In my opinion nobody is too old , if she has a passion for it then why not? I wish her all the best.
Love Amber
By smileywomanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10998, member since Sat Sep 17, 2005
On Sat Aug 30, 2008 08:24 PM
I started gymnastics when I was 13 and I eventually became the Captain of my gymnastics team, and won the Most Valuable Player Award for my team.

Your daughter is obviously flexible which is good. She'll develop strength in gymnastics to go with her flexibility. It's a wonderful experience being on a team and competing together.

ReplySendWatch