Forum: General / Tap / Tap

I need loud taps! What kind do you use?
By Ahusk89
On Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:32 AM

Some of my students have been struggling with their taps, the new shoes we've gotten have very dull sounding taps and I cannot remember the name of the taps I used to use. We bought them separately and they were VERY VERY loud. Anybody use any different kinds of taps?

15 Replies to I need loud taps! What kind do you use?

re: I need loud taps! What kind do you use?
By blochpointesalltmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:20 PM
The tap itself isn't really gonna effect the loudness. The shoe, the tappers skill, and the loose/tightness of the tap can/will. Almost everyone that I know uses and recommends Capezio Teletones.
By dadcdancer
On Sun Jun 01, 2008 03:07 PM
ummm we have these Capezio black and white taps that are really good sounding!
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jun 01, 2008 07:14 PM
I use Capezio Teletones...

I agree with Blochpointesallt.
By adageacemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jun 02, 2008 01:49 AM
What shoes do they wear? What style of shoe? Are the taps nailed on or screwed on? If they have adjustable taps, are they still screwed at their tightest? Do the shoes come with a sound board? Leather soles?

Like Blochpointes said, it's a lot more than just the taps.

If the taps are screwed on, try loosening them a tiny bit so that there's space for a little resonance behind the tap.
By Ahusk89
On Mon Jun 02, 2008 01:44 PM
I'm thinking its the tightness of the tap. We have teletones as well but I couldn't understand why my shoes were ten times louder. And in this case, it isn't because of the skill level. The tap sounds were just dull all together. Anyways, I losened one of the girls taps and immediatly it was fixed! Thanks everyone!
By blochpointesalltmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jun 02, 2008 02:41 PM
^Do they have sound boards? Also, if they're using capezio screws, super glue them in once you loosen them. They WILL fall out if you don't. If they wear split soles, that could be part of the problem, also.
By jenna_dance
On Wed Jun 04, 2008 07:32 PM
I use Teletones as well - my most recent heel taps (just broken actually) were sounding excellent - my dad replaced the screws with his own and took off the soundboard because it got all buggered up when the tap came off with the crap capezio screws.

The resulting sound was lovely and clinky. It had a good round tone as well, it wasn't dead.

You can get teletone heel taps for about 5 quid in the UK. My tap shoes came with teletone toe taps but they're about the same price. Do loosen them slightly though it makes all the difference
By edancer71
On Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:46 PM
I agree with most comments.
1) Skill is most important
2) Pre-mounted can sound duller that ones you buy separately and have mounted.
3) Use a soundboard.
4) Slightly loosen the screws.

I am currently using Capezio Teletones on Capezio Men's Oxford 445. Great sound since the first day.

When I was a kid,we'd sometimes put a penny under the V-shaped toe tap that was around in the early 70's. (Like the current Capezio Master Tap) I never noticed a big difference.
By Taphead25Premium member
On Thu Jun 05, 2008 04:03 PM
It's hard to beat Teletones, if you can keep the screws from falling out! I used to carry a small screwdriver in my back pocket every tap class. The old Fred Astaire tap, created by "da man" in 1948 and sold through Selva Brothers, was a robust wing tap with recessed standoff washers that allowed the screws to be tight, while the tap rang freely like a little gong! You could clearly hear one pair of these over 20 others in a tap class! Sadly, they disappeared around 1980 when Capezio bought out what was left of Selva. (One of the founders died.) I'd love to bring this old war horse back; but I'm afraid of patent infringement. The extra machine work for the washers made the tap too expensive to manufcture. I made a pair from 2024-T4 aluminum once and was delighted with the sound. But 12 hours on a milling machine is a long time! Hurry retirement! I want to make patterns and cast a few just for fun.

But back to the Teletones: make sure the holes in the fiberboard EXACTLY line up with the holes in the taps. 2 classes later you'll be sounding great.
By dancegirl11b
On Wed Jul 09, 2008 09:59 PM
Use Super taps, the size depends on your shoe
By Tappercise
On Thu Jul 10, 2008 09:18 PM
Edited by Tappercise (182290) on 2008-07-10 22:13:45 spacing
There was a time I would have said clarity was more important than loudness and tap dancing was more about tapping the floor than pounding the floor, but times have changed and tap dancing means different things to different people. The fact that I keep the screws in my taps tight is probably the result of wearing Capezio shoes and getting tired of having screws fall out or having the taps ripped off my shoes after one or two screws fell out. Now that I use SoDanca TA 700s, which have anchors to hold the screws in place, I could probably loosen the taps without being worried about losing a tap, but the shoes produce good sounds when the screws are tight.

In addition to the other good suggestions that people have made, there are three things that often prevent you from getting enough volume from your taps: a lack of flexibility in your ankles, not keeping your legs relaxed before and after your taps make contact with the floor, and poor balance. Coordination, strength, and speed can also be factors, but they are usually less important than the first three factors.

Endurance is more likely to affect the quality of sound in tappercise than it would in a basic tap-dancing class. A typical tappercise class has fewer breaks and uses a larger percentage of the body than most basic tap-dancing classes. In most cases, the tempo of the music used in tappercise is faster than the tempo of music used in a basic tap-dancing class, and almost everyone should be sweating and breathing harder than normal by the end of the class.
By shelabbyuk
On Wed Jul 16, 2008 05:22 AM
I always feel that new tap shoes always sound dull to begin with even if you do loosen of the teletones a little bit.
What I normally do with my taps is wear them in without loosening the taps for a good month or two..Once the teletones have been worn a little bit then loosen them a little bit not much.
I always wear bloch tap shoes as I find they are the comfiest and they do me good :)
Depending on what type of floor you have as well can depend on how loud your taps might be too..
By luvs2dancealot
On Wed Jul 16, 2008 03:11 PM
You can just loosen the taps. Or the taps that I LOVE are Capezio Tele Tone II they were used ont the Capezio CG09 and The Capezio Shirley which were both discontinued but can still be found on some sites or ebay. They have only one screw which makes it easier to adjust the sound.

Here's A Picture:
www.danceworld.demon.co.uk . . .
By Nic79
On Wed Jul 16, 2008 03:55 PM
I definitely think that teletones give the best sound. I've got Bloch shoes with their techno taps at the moment but I'll be going back to Capezio after my exam on Sunday
By PureTapPremium member
On Thu Jul 17, 2008 06:12 PM
I'm a Teletone girl, also with the screws loosened off a little.

Has anyone found that what they're attached to also makes a difference (ie; wooden heels, as opposed to resin/plastic heels)?

I've found that my cheap Sansha's make a duller sound even with the Teletones attached, however my Capezio 561 Tap Footlights with the wooden heel and teletone taps have a definitely better quality sound when I used my heels.

Also, has anyone had any experience with the Leo's Ultratone taps and the sound they make? My new Leo Crescendo Pro shoes (still 6 weeks away, apparently, because they're in such high demand :( ) will have Leo's Ultratones attached.

If they're not as good as the Teletones, maybe I'll have to start thinking about ordering some Teletones now to match...my local store only has Size 3 toes and heels, so if you have anything a different size than that, you either have to order them in or 'put up and shut up'...

Cheers
Di

ReplySendWatch