Forum: Guard / Color Guard

Requirements for college gurad?
By dancer_meggs
On Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:27 AM

I realize that I'm not going to be on a high school team period, at least not at this school. So I was wondering if most college guards have super high requirements to make the team like knowing a bunch of different tosses and what not, or do they teach you what you need to know when you get to the tryouts? If anybody has tryed out or is on a college gurad I would really appreciate a reply. Thanks!

4 Replies to Requirements for college gurad?

re: Requirements for college gurad?
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:38 AM
It really depends on the college you go to. I'm not in guard but I am in marching band and at my college, the guard is really small and moderately okay. They don't do anything super hard (in fact, my high school's guard did a lot more stuff than my college's guard does) and from what I can tell, the tryouts are really easy. So, it just depends on where you go.
By dancer_meggs
On Tue Jun 03, 2008 07:21 PM
Thank you! This is actually quite a relief for me...I'm cracking down for the PSAT's and I'm working on getting into Duke (they don't even have a guard from what I've seen)and so far I've had really bad news about my GPA's and not being in enough extracurriculars and so on...just hearing about something fun and not academic is such a relief!
By dancer_meggs
On Tue Jun 03, 2008 08:24 PM
Wow... I spelled guard wrong in the title. lol
re: Requirements for college gurad? (karma: 1)
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jun 06, 2008 08:21 AM
Most college guards suck (but they're lots of fun). There are only a handful of college guards that compete. Most just perform during halftime, and the focus is usually on getting a beer after rehearsal. That said, almost all college guards will expect you to be proficient before you audition because they aren't interested in training new members. You certainly don't need to be great, but you do need to be decent. But you usually get one college credit for each season you march.

If you're really interested in doing the guard thing, you should forget about the college teams and find an independent winter guard or drum corps. College teams are just for fun, but the independent groups will kick your butt. You just need to figure out which experience you want.

ReplySendWatch