Popular Teachers

Custom Costume Help by CDAB
Hi! This year I finally convinced some of the parents that custom costumes would be a great thing to...

Forum: Advice / Girls Only

Girls Only
Very sweaty armpits=sweat marks, stains and strong smell of deodorant.. help? en>fr fr>en
By simply_obsessed Comments: 269, member since Sun Oct 08, 2006
On Tue Jun 03, 2008 08:48 PM
Edited by simply_obsessed (168130) on 2008-06-03 20:49:45

I sweat a lot, especially my armpits... I don't wear t-shirts often because even just hanging out at someones house I get huge sweatmarks, not to mention going outside in the heat. Not only are the sweat marks a problem, but so are the stains they leave behind (after washing the armpits turn yellowish brown). Also, I wear deodorant but I noticed i smell really strongly like the deodorant i wear. I was wondering if anyone had a solution to any of these problems? I wanted to get a strong deodorant like drysol, but my mom scared me a bit by saying how its supposed to be for people with health related sweating problems.. however I know my mom dosen't sweat and dosen't understand why i care about it. For those of you who use a prescription strength deodorant, did you actually talk to a doctor about it before hand or did you just buy it at a drugstore and use it? I have a few new t-shirts and I want to wear one to a school walkathon this friday but it's kind of tight and to have huge sweat marks would be gross.. (i'm 15 lol, don't know if that matters)

10 Replies to Very sweaty armpits=sweat marks, stains and strong smell of deodorant.. help?

re: Very sweaty armpits=sweat marks, stains and strong smell of deodorant.. help? en>fr fr>en
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5021, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:45 PM
Make sure your deodorant has an antiperspirant in it.
re: Very sweaty armpits=sweat marks, stains and strong smell of deodorant.. help? en>fr fr>en
By ShadowLunaCatPremium member Comments: 8709, member since Sun Sep 12, 2004
On Wed Jun 04, 2008 01:00 AM
Baking soda, and/or bleach might be able to get out the stains.

After I bathe, because I have sensitive skin that can do the "itchies" at the drop of a hat..

I find some powder -- talc, baby, and I powder myself in the places that are prone to stay damp.. except for the private areas.

Then, I find a talc that has a scent, if I haven't already used one... and apply that.

Lastly, I use Secret deo anti-perspirant... the baby powder solid... that usually helps.

I've also made a study of various scents (perfumes) that I could wear.. I usually go for the light florals... that are nice.

See if this helps at all.

S.
By ballet_twin_1 Comments: 185, member since Thu Mar 22, 2007
On Wed Jun 04, 2008 02:13 PM
Get Certain-Dri!!! I used to sweat a lot so I bought some and now I hardly sweat that much at all...its amazing. You can buy it at Target for about $4. Basically what it does is it shrinks the sweat glands under your arms to minimize perspiration. :)

Ballet Twin
By Count8member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 687, member since Mon Jun 25, 2007
On Wed Jun 04, 2008 03:31 PM
If nothing works, try getting your sweat adenoids removed. For some people nothing else will work so you might consult your doctor about this.
Getting them removed doesn't hurt at all. It is done outpatient and with anaesthetization in the armpits. The whole routine is pretty similar to getting a liposuction.
That sounds pretty drastic, I know and it is just the last option you are having if nothing else works :)
By PlumeriaPremium member Comments: 3483, member since Sat Feb 26, 2005
On Wed Jun 04, 2008 04:37 PM
Edited by Plumeria (123524) on 2008-06-04 16:37:50
I was going to make a post about this. It's so embarrising to be walking around school with huge stains. I have TONS of graphic shirts that show them easily and I try to deal with it. :P It does get very annoying though.

I don't really have advice, but I just wanted to say that I think going to the doctor about a prescription deodarant is the best solution. Getting the sweat adenoids does sound "drastic", but it's not a bad idea. Although, I doubt my parents will ever let me do that.
By Dancing_Forevermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3138, member since Sun Nov 24, 2002
On Wed Jun 04, 2008 04:41 PM
I have sweating problems sometimes too, although, I tried Mitchum deoderant and it has always seemed to work pretty well for me. However, if it is a day I am particularly anxious of whatever I can still get bad pit stains. And I know what you mean about them staining the shirts, as all of my white t-shirtas/tank tops have yellowish stains. It is quite gross.

The worst is when I am nervous about a date and I can't stop sweating...EWWWW. Anyways, I'd suggest try Mitchum or one of the deoderants another member has suggested, and if the problem persists or worsens talk to your doctor.
By Naoisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1461, member since Tue Apr 20, 2004
On Wed Jun 04, 2008 06:42 PM
Edited by dancingrainbows (91045) on 2008-06-04 19:30:25 ugh
1 Image(s) detached by Theresa (28613) on 2008-06-04 20:22:56 member request
My elementary school teacher had her sweat adenoids removed. I wonder if insurance covers that...

Edit: Sorry about the pic.
By simply_obsessed Comments: 269, member since Sun Oct 08, 2006
On Wed Jun 04, 2008 08:13 PM
Thanks for the tips guys, I will for sure try a stronger deodorant like certain-dry even though my mom doesn't believe I need it lol, and depending how that works maybe make an appointment with my doctor about it. But i'm definetly not even gonna consider getting my sweat adenoids removed until I try every thing else I possibly can before hand lol, it sounds kinda scary :P Shadowsong thanks a lot for the tips for stains I'll definetly try them out! Anyways, I appreciate your comments :)
re: Very sweaty armpits=sweat marks, stains and strong smell of deodorant.. help? (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6373, member since Sat May 15, 2004
On Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:32 PM
You are definitely NOT at the point where you need to consider getting your sweat adenoids removed. This is most definitely a last resort option and has serious side effects and is just absolutely NOT an option for you at this point. So let's not scare people about having unnecessary and dangerous surgeries, ok?

Anyway, this is like the millionth time I've posted about this here (maybe I should make a sticky?) Anyway, about three years ago I noticed I sweat way more than the average person. Obviously everyone sweats a bit during dance class, but within like seconds of entering the room I would have sweat literally dripping down my armpits. When I was just wearing a tshirt at school, even if I was shivering from being so cold, I would have huge sweat marks.

So for awhile, I just wore layers. But eventually I got fed up with that and ASKED MY DOCTOR about it. He said this problem is actually more common than people realize and he recommended a product like drysol to me. (I think it actually IS Drysol, but jsut the cheaper, generic version). In the United States, you can only get this by prescription, but I think in Canada you can get it over the counter.

It was AMAZING. I could finally wear the clothes I wanted and not feel bad about it. Basically it is this liquid that you dab on your armpits. it stings a little bit at first, but your body will quickly adjust. You use it every night for like 5 nights, then slowly cut back. I started using it three years ago, starting out as I described, then used it once a month, adn now I apply it like every six months, if that. It WORKS. I honestly cannot even tell you how amazing this product was...it basically changed my life! Haha.

But I know you already mentioned Drysol and your mothers concerns about it. I can understand where she is coming from. Sometimes excessive sweating is due to some other disease, however that's rarely the case. In fact, excessive sweating by itself has a name: hyperhidrosis. It sounds "scary", but it's seriously just another name for excessive sweating. Some people have a more serious form it where it affects their hands and their feet as well.

I would tell your mom, "Hey mom, I'm having a problem. I know I've already talked to you about this, but I've been thinking about it a lot. I think I sweat more than is necessary. I know it may not seem like a big deal to you, but it is to me. I can't wear the clothes I want and I'm embarassed by it sometimes. I'd really like to talk to a doctor about getting Drysol. I did some reading on it online and it's not just for people with health-related sweating issues. It can be used to people who jsut sweat more than normal, like me."

If you (or anyone else) has any questions about this, feel free to PM me.

I also wanted to mentioned that I haven't tried the new Secret prescription strength antiperspirant yet. Drysol worked so well for me that I haven't really had the need to seek anything else and my drysol stuff was actually cheaper anyway because of my health insurance. So if you don't want to, or it's not convienent for you to go to a doctor, you may want to give that a try. :)
By mirrimmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 753, member since Sat Apr 05, 2008
On Thu Jun 05, 2008 05:42 AM
I tried the Secret Clinical strength antiperspirant. It didn't really help me at all. It worked better than regular, but ot much. I would put the clinical strength on at night, like suggested, then again in the morning to get it managable. It was got way too expensive to keep that up, so I stopped. I've been meaning to try Dry-sol. I also have the problem with stained white shirts, its depressing. I've tried bleach, and it hasn't really worked so far.

ReplySendWatch