Forum: Guard / Color Guard

complaining.
By danzinchyk416
On Sat Jun 07, 2008 08:53 AM

Sorry but I'm just really kind of mad right now. I tryed out for weapon at my school, and I got cut after like 2 weeks of doing weapon line, but I was the first one cut, and the only one cut so far. I thought I was doing pretty good! I could do everything Rosie wanted us to be able to do, probably not perfectly, but some of the girls couldnt even do that. My tosses were pretty good too, I'm really surprised I got cut. One of the girls always has tosses that spin like a flag and are high and lofty. Why did I get cut and she didnt? I think thats completely unfair. Especially because I worked so hard practicing whenever I could. I even got private lessons with one of our instructors, and I started the lessons before fall season even started. Anyway, I'm just really upset about that. Also, it turns out I have severe tendonitis in my wrist, so I'm out of guard for 2 weeks, unless I can find some way to spin without my wrist. Drop spins and peggy spins I can still do, but thumb flips, tossing, etc are impossible. Wow this kind of sucks.

20 Replies to complaining.

re: complaining.
By dancrgrl783
On Sat Jun 07, 2008 03:19 PM
ouch. well all that really stinks. being cut is no fun, especially when you know that you are better than another person. like last year I knew that was a really good weapon, but I got cut and some girls that I didnt think deserved the spot got it. but I practiced all the time and I made the winter line. injuries are bad also. 2 days beore band camp, we were all running and I tripped and sprained my ankle. I was out for almost 2 months and they were the worst. but you just have to push through as much as you can and do whatever you can, but know your limits so you dont hurt yorself (turns out that same summer I was tossing gun and i broke my nose 2 seperate times too lol). but remember its all worth it to step on that field at nationals so dont give up!
By danzinchyk416
On Sat Jun 07, 2008 05:10 PM
yah. thank you. it sucks though..because if you dont make fall weapon line, you cant do it in the winter either. so i have to wait a whole nother year. and then the year after that, i probably cant do winterguard, and she generally only takes weapons that will be doing winterguard. and i wouldnt want my senior year to be my first year of weapon.
re: complaining. (karma: 1)
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jun 07, 2008 05:12 PM
Why not ask your instructor why you got cut and what you can work on for next year? Maybe with your wrist being messed up it's a good thing to not do weapon line and possibly mess it up even more.
By dancrgrl783
On Sat Jun 07, 2008 07:42 PM
haha I like how im talking to you on two different posts. well yeah that really is a bummer. just try really hard and if you coach sees that you are really improving then maybe she'll change her mind. it happens all the time. why arnt you doing winter though? lol our winter probabally wont even happen this year unless we find someone. our visual and color guard heads both quit this year, but then for medical purposes our band director had to step down so they are just comming back for this season and shes like well I already made a comittment to odyssey, the new blast type show in japan. so shes like if you cant find someone then you cant have a winterguard. our drumline already got cut this year n its really bad
By danzinchyk416
On Sat Jun 07, 2008 07:46 PM
well i can do winterguard this year..but the yaar after will be my junior year, and my mom wont let me because she said i'll need to look for colleges and focus more on my studies. because illb e taking ap psych, ap us history, and ap physics. ahh.!
By dancrgrl783
On Sat Jun 07, 2008 07:49 PM
thats insane i should be doing that but im only taking one ap (goverment) and i pretty much know what im gonna go into and im not that worried about it but if my grades dont get up then i wont even be able to do fall this year!
By danzinchyk416
On Sat Jun 07, 2008 07:51 PM
get your grades up! taht would be sad if you couldnt do fall guard. its sad your probably not going to have winter either.
By dancrgrl783
On Sat Jun 07, 2008 07:54 PM
yeah but if theres no winter then ill probabally goin some independent guard to keep my skills up cause im aiming to do saber this fall and if i do it and i dont practice its gonna b bad next year. and as for the grades im studying like all day for my finals tomorrow so *hopefully* some mirical will happen and ill get a b on my math final
By danzinchyk416
On Sat Jun 07, 2008 07:58 PM
oh my gosh, are you still in school?
By dancrgrl783
On Sat Jun 07, 2008 08:04 PM
haha yeah our school is weird and we have one more week. it stinks but ohh well im used to it. when did u get out?
By danzinchyk416
On Sat Jun 07, 2008 08:05 PM
we got out may 30. but you probably start later than us.
By dancrgrl783
On Sat Jun 07, 2008 08:08 PM
thats crazy lol I wish we got out that early. next years gonna b different though cause all of michigan is going to be the same so we'll get out earlier n yeahh we start the week after labor day
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jun 08, 2008 03:28 AM
If you've already decided that you're going to quit in two years, that will definitely affect my your instructor's decision to put you on the weapon line. You have to realize that your instructor is planning YEARS into the future. If you've already made the decision to quit, I wouldn't put you on the weapon line either. But don't take it personally. It's basically a business decision. You have to do what's best for you, and your instructor has to do what's best for the team. If you're going to quit, putting you on the weapon line is probably not best for the team.

That said, I was always a weapon, but I REALLY wanted to be on the flag line. Less pressure, more fun. Being on the flag line definitely has benefits.
By danzinchyk416
On Sun Jun 08, 2008 07:14 AM
I'm not quitting in 2 years..? I just cant do winterguard.
By Flitzcgcg06member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jun 08, 2008 08:11 AM
Definitely ASK why you didn't make it. If you got cut (not to sound harsh) then there was something wrong with what you were doing. You need to try and find out what you were doing wrong so they can help. Trust me, your instructors have a reason for all decisions. It may even mean that they think you are a strong flag and want you to be over there. Just ask them and I'm sure they will be happy to help.
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jun 09, 2008 05:50 AM
I don't know how your program is structured. But usually, the weapons during football season are being "groomed" for the winter season. So if she knows you aren't going to stick with the winter program, that will likely play a part in her decision. Why train someone for 2 years if you know they're not going to perform when they're actually at their best? I know that probably doesn't seem fair to you, but most instructors consider that a legitimate concern.

And the tendinitis doesn't help either. Even if that's a legitimate medical diagnosis (is it?), if you can't rehearse full out, you're at a disadvantage. That probably doesn't seem fair either, but it's just a fact of life. If I had ever said I couldn't do a part because I was in pain, I'm pretty sure I would have been demoted, too. I actually had tendinitis when I marched, and I just bought a wrist brace and took a LOT of advil. I also bit my tongue off (seriously), put my teeth through my lower lip and broke my nose (twice) with a rifle, but I was never allowed to miss a rehearsal or slack off with the equipment work.

It just depends on your particular guard and your instructor. If it makes you feel any better, I didn't really understand a lot of the decisions my guards' staffs made until I started to teach. HAHA, but that probably doesn't make you feel any better, does it? Anyway, I'm sorry you got cut from the weapon line, and I hope your tendinitis improves. You just can't please everyone when you're dealing with a whole team. Believe me, I know that sucks sometimes.
By dancrgrl783
On Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:50 PM
yeahh about the asking thing...deffenately ask questions, like how you could improve and what are some things that can be cleaned up. I constantly ask those questions even if im not cut...like if i feel like i had a bad block i'll go up to our instructor, jenifo, and ask her what i can do to fix my problem. yeah, you'll feel stupid asking lol i get made fun of all the time for asking but it really helps and its better than being called out for your mistake later =]
By danzinchyk416
On Mon Jun 09, 2008 07:32 PM
at our school, winterguard is not required or anythign if your on weapon line or anything. many girls get cut from winter also. but yeah i was going to ignore my wrist pain if i made weapon. but since I didnt, they said it would be fine to sit out when necesary, like for tossing, since I can already do eveyrhing that we're learning. and plus i can help out some of the girls that need help.
By Flitzcgcg06member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:48 PM
Edited by Flitzcgcg06 (42105) on 2008-06-09 22:51:17
Hi, I totally already responded but to back panic up I never understood some things until I started teaching as well. They see things that you don't because they can see everyone all at once and how everyone compares to everyone else. I had to make decisions last year about who were alternates and even though some girls were close to each other on ability, I would choose whoever had that little extra to get a definite spot on the field. It makes you feel kinda bad but you have to make the right choice for everyone. Also, if you make it known that you might not be there all 4 years, they won't want you to do it (like panic has also said) Unless you are REALLY REALLY good, they aren't going to just keep you as a weapon for a couple of seasons. Make sure they know you really are committed.

ANYWAY

You're from Carmel right? (I thought I saw that on another post) You have some of the same people that teach that I did or they come from the same place and some I know. Honestly, they are going to be really nice about your injury but they are all about getting stuff done. They would rather have you do something that you are already trained with an injury then have you learning something new. If you are learning with pain and a messed up wrist, you aren't learning it to the best of your ability which can throw off how you spin and toss and everything when you get better. Also, being in a world class color guard it's very competitive and they don't have time to train someone who isn't physically up to par like others. That's why color guard is such a difficult activity. You honestly won't understand half of their decisions until after you graduate and there are some incidents that happened to me that I STILL don't understand. World Class color guard instructors pretty much are thinking about how they will place in WGI finals asap and the training they do in the summer affects how they do in winter. That is their life and what they do for a living, which isn't a bad thing. It's their job to make sure you all have good training and can be the best you can be and if you guys do poorly, it looks bad on them and their job can be compromised. And nobody wants to lose their job based on someone else who is not to "perform" to the best of their ability.

All in all, I wouldn't worry about it or feel like you suck. It doesn't mean you are a bad person. Try to get your wrist better if possible and try again next year.

THE END!!! lol (sorry for the novel)
By danzinchyk416
On Wed Jun 11, 2008 08:21 PM
yeah. im from carmel. the thing is though, i totally understand what your saying about not being able to do winterguard ands tuff..but also in our program many weapons make it who dont do winterguard at all. its not really required or anything, and also none of the instructors know that I woont be doing winterguard my junior year. and i got my wrist injury after i tryed out for weapon..yesterday was the first time i got to practice with it. and i actually was able to do just about everything even with the brace on. so thats good. i had some difficulty with this forty five toss becfause the prep is all your wrists. and also doing pushups...so they said i didnt have too. woohoo. haha. but other girls got cut from weapon. and i actually found out the reason i was cut was so I could be on dance line. so thats good. so thanks everyone.

ReplySendWatch