Page 1 of 2: 1 2
passports!
By J_Raybouldmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jun 12, 2008 04:07 AM
Edited by jraybould (111932) on 2008-06-12 04:15:04 spelling
Edited by jraybould (111932) on 2008-06-12 04:15:32

hiya,

my boyfriends passport has run out so he is applying for a new one

the price for an adult passport is now £72!!!

i think that is totally too much, but it's one of those things that you kind of have to pay (well at least if you want to go anywhere within the next 10years!)

you can get a flight ticket for less then that haha!

what are your thoughts?

xx

26 Replies to passports!

re: passports!
By Supergirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jun 12, 2008 04:10 AM
Yeah, I had to pay that for mine, well my mum paid :P
It does last for ten years though. You can't really not pay it if you want to go away on holiday.
-Lauren
By Rhi_Annmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jun 12, 2008 04:13 AM
Hi Jess,
No-one in our house has a passport.
We thought about going abroad last year, but worked out to all get passports (4 of us) it would cost more than the holiday itself!!!!
Think its mad.
Ann xx
By Hannah_spana
On Thu Jun 12, 2008 04:17 AM
Hi I just had to get a new one recently to go to New York, my dad sorted it out but I think it did cost around that :O at least it does last ten years, and for that holiday it was sooo worth it!
Hannah x
By Helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jun 12, 2008 05:25 AM
This is a touchy subject for me.

I'm getting married this year and in order to go away next year i need to get my passport changed.

I currently have 4 years left on my passport but when i get my name changed they will only give me a maximum of 9 months back.

Yeah punish me for being happy why don't you!

Helen xxx
By MadMooPremium member
On Thu Jun 12, 2008 06:33 AM
Heya Jess
Your so right
Last year i had to get 4 !!!!
nearly as much as going to Eygpt !!!!
Love MadMoo
By Kaytexmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jun 12, 2008 06:42 AM
yess i no !

it is awfull but luckyly my mom paid mine !

but either way who ever pays it it is still a stupid amount i mean anyone would think the pages are edged in gold!

how can it cost that much really?
By groovygranmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jun 12, 2008 06:46 AM
Re Helen
You are so correct there in fact if you change your name for whatever reason [like dead poll when divorced etc]it is the same only 9 months carry on

Mad Moo that happens when you all get the first passport together they all need renewing together
Mikki and Lala had to renew theirs last year and they also used the post office chek and send which was another £7.50 each but was good as new passports came back in four days [although post office say two weeks we had been told can be much quicker]
So that cost £159.00 just for two renewals as you pay the same for renewals as you do for a new one

Mama DD's xxx
By AIMEE1member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jun 12, 2008 07:03 AM
£72!!! Oh no!! Mine runs out next year so I'll be applying for a new one soon! I had no idea they were that expensive now! Oh well, I'd rather pay that than not go on holiday.

Aimee x
By sarah_jayne
On Thu Jun 12, 2008 07:10 AM
My passport ran out last year! But i didn't realise and had booked flights to go away!

So i needed it quite quickly, so had to go all the way to Liverpool and get it done the same day! I think it cost just over £100!!!!!! then we had to pay for petrol aswell so very very expensive lol

Glad it lasts for 10 years!

Sarah xxxx
By Vickiliciousmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:59 PM
It is utterly ridiculous. Don't get me started. I think my argument is a little unsuitable for dance.net but as you can tell I am not happy!! lol. I had to send mine off a couple of weeks ago and it cost £80 after the check and send thing! xxx
By cazza3
On Thu Jun 12, 2008 04:47 PM
Hi

This has actually put us off going abroad this year! My hubby and Lauren's have both ran out and I need to get Aiden (my baby) his 1st one. I am going to renew them one at a time as its too expensive to do all 3 at once!

What really bugs me though is a childs passport is only for 5 years but they charge more than half the cost of an adult one! £72 for adult 10 year and £42 for childs!! Hmmm bit of a con if you ask me!!!

Caroline x
On Thu Jun 12, 2008 05:08 PM
Edited by groovygran (82337) on 2008-06-12 17:22:40
^^^ re the childs passport after the five years you have to renew with a new photo but it is done for free for another five years ...so it is £42.00 for ten years for a child

Mama DD's xxx
By torchie
On Fri Jun 13, 2008 04:11 AM
Hi all
Re Grovygran Children's ppt's are only issued for 5 years & not renewed free.

The fee's are set to rise again in Sept/Oct this is now an annual increase & the UK is still one of the cheaptest countries for a passport.....

Louise.
On Fri Jun 13, 2008 04:28 AM
^^ Sorry I aparently have given wrong Info
but I do know my grand daughter had hers extended for another five years free of charge ...perhaps it has as you say changed

Mama DD's xxx
By princessamimember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:42 AM
i totally agree, why should a childs be so expensive and only for 5 years :O and its not free to re-issue, you again pay the £40 odd pound and get another 5 years?? when do childrens stop being 5 years and change to ten??

we had to travel to london last year and renew ours as i left it too late before our holiday and for 2 adults and and 2 kids it was about £350 + the petrol to get there :O disgusting!!

i would love to know why they are so expensive
By EvieandIslasmummember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:05 AM
I know, it is a right rip off. Plus children change so dramatically in 5 years it's silly if you ask me! I have to get Evie and Isla one each for next year because I want to go away but it's just a joke.

Keeley x
By cazza3
On Fri Jun 13, 2008 05:15 PM
Hi

Doreen - It used to be that a child's full passport was only issued for the 5 years and then updated with a new picture for the remainder of the passport (the next 5 years) Im not sure if the 2nd passport was issued free of charge or not.

I got my 1st passport when I was 12 as I was going to Canada with my gran and was only on my parents passport. I know when I was 17 I got a new picture on it and this lasted till I was 22. (I have a good memory even though Im old now!! :P )

All children applying for a passport after 1997 (i think) have to get their own one and can no longer be added to their parents ones. Im sure this was introduced to try and prevent kids being taken out of the country in custody battles!

Caroline x
On Sat Jun 14, 2008 03:21 AM
Yes I know that children were added to parents [mostly mums]passport but mine had their own from being 5 as that used to be the youngest age for a childs passport
Yes and it was free to update from the five years to ten for child ...we even did that for Lesley-Anns not so many years ago [although she now has adults one

I do think it is good that children have their own as so much easier for other then the parent whose passport they were on could take them away [like if on Mums then dad could not take them away on his own without applying

It does seem bad that a childs now costs more than an adults for ten years as was always cheaper before ...but I suppose this is the way the world is going and not for the BETTER

Mama DD's xxx
By dizzylivvi
On Sat Jun 14, 2008 04:01 AM
A childs passport is £46.00 for 5 years.I've just done my daughters and got it back within the week without doing the check n send.

I believe passport fees are set to rise again too.

Karen xx
By annemarie1Premium member
On Sat Jun 14, 2008 04:26 AM
hi,

I've just had mine renewed and couldnt believe how much it cost. I also did the 'check and send' at the post office so another 7.50 (personal choice, i know).

Thank god they only need to be renewed every 10 years. lol!!

Annemariex
By torchie
On Sun Jun 15, 2008 06:57 AM
Hi all
I actually work at the Passport Office & will say it was 26 March 1998 that free extentions were stopped the same time that all children could not be added to their parents ppts...

The fee's are set by the Privy Council & Treasury they have to recover the costs of fee's at the consulars abroad. (ie lost/stolen ppts abroad)

But we are still the cheapest ppt to purchase in the world...

Louise X
By LisaDaNcErmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jun 20, 2008 03:04 PM
Hi!
I just renewed my passport and here in Norway it costs 45 pounds for an adult, and it lasts for 10 years. The price used to be 90 pounds but they cut the price when we got a new prime minister I think.

I found an article which explains why the price will rise in the UK and its because of the biometric passports.
Hopefully the holiday will be worth it :)
By little_gemmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:59 AM
hi
our passports expired last october
so we just managed to use them for
our holiday to cyprus which was in aug,
but both my girls were on our passports
so now we have got to get 4 new ones!
just can't afford it yet so good job
we have no holiday abroad planned this year!
jane x
By cheekysmiler
On Wed Jun 25, 2008 01:26 PM
he he Jess What have you started!!!

I totally agree it's a complete rip off, they are saying the increase is to help cover the cost of the extra security checks they need to do because of terrarism etc.

I get very annoyed though that we have to replace the kids every 5 years which ends up costing more than the adults.

Another point is the likes of bank managers and doctors can also now charge to verify your photo etc!! I work for local government so makes me eligable to sign and witness applications I willingly do this for friends etc (maybe should charge I could make a fortune!!)

We have no choice but to go abroad if we fancy a bit of Sun so as others have said we can't win we have to just put up and shut up

Jane
xx
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch