Forum: General / Hip Hop / Hip Hop

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
What's "real" hip hop?
By vballmonkey433
On Thu Jun 12, 2008 06:09 PM

I've been in hip hop for the past 4 years, but I'm thinking of quitting next year. At my studio, I feel like I'm not learning "real" hip hop. We haven't learned any popping, locking, or bboying. I feel like what we learn should be classified as "Jazz Funk". In my numbers we do ripples, isolations, and stunts. For three numbers we've done pirouettes. Are there any experts out there who can tell me what "real" hip hop is?

25 Replies to What's "real" hip hop?

re: What's "real" hip hop?
By weavers
On Fri Jun 13, 2008 07:23 AM
sounds to me like you need to talk to your teachers about the history of hip-hop, if they don't know then all your doing is studio hip-hop.

reguarldess hip-hop is a party dance. if you can't do the stuff that your doing with another person then its not hip-hop. if your facing an audience then your doing exhibition.

the biggest thing that is wrong about hip-hop today, and what is taught is people who teach it or learn it but know nothing about the history. do you know who don cambell is? what he did for hip-hop, who grandmaster flash is, who taught michel jackson his moves, where the moon walk came from? what disco has to do with hip-hop, what the meaning is hip-hop is.(most ppls don't know this, even professional dancers)
By vballmonkey433
On Tue Jun 17, 2008 07:12 PM
Thank you! I think you're right. Most people wouldn't know that Don Campbell taught Michael Jackson his moves and where hip hop originated. I think I will ask my teachers about it.
By SkiiyHiy
On Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:59 AM
No point in asking your teachers if they can't show and prove.

Many dancers taught Michael including Poppin Taco, Jeffrey Daniels etc. Your best bet is to search, discover, ask questions and dis cypher things yourself. Footage is wonderful but don't get too caught up in that.
By LilaButJaymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jul 12, 2008 06:22 PM
I know real hiphop and the history.
But, I'm not gonna lie..studio hiphop is FUN..okay? People put it down because it's not real or the street.
But if people are having fun and excersizing..WHO CARES IF ITS NOT TRUE HIPHOP?
By vballmonkey433
On Sun Jul 13, 2008 06:25 PM
Thank you for all the replies back. I haven't asked my teachers about it because the searching IS more accurate. I've found so much on the history of hip hop. And I'm not saying studio hip hop isn't fun, because believe me, I enjoy it. I just wanted to know some more about the origin of hip hop.
By markese91
On Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:25 AM
LilaButJay wrote:

I know real hiphop and the history.
But, I'm not gonna lie..studio hiphop is FUN..okay? People put it down because it's not real or the street.
But if people are having fun and excersizing..WHO CARES IF ITS NOT TRUE HIPHOP?

It might be fun but what if you are setting out to learn ture hip hop. You join a crew on false pretenses, thinking that you do "real hiphop" and you don't. Or you audition for something only to find out that this is not what you thought it was. Alot of people care what true hip hop is.

But it is true, street hiphop and studio hip hop is very different. Thanks to some recent dance shows though, street hip hop is getting more publicity.
By tresbienmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jul 25, 2008 03:20 PM
okay

i get the whole hip-hop history thing

but how do you know if your studio teaches real hip-hop or not?

my studio does hip-hop and it feels like real hip-hop, who cares if there is a pirouette here and there
i wouldnt call it jazz funk

i think that people can determine real hip-hop themselves, cuz what hip-hop to someone can be funk to someone else

i've done funk before and it is like hip-hop at our studio but its different
:)
By LilaButJaymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jul 31, 2008 09:58 PM
It might be fun but what if you are setting out to learn ture hip hop. You join a crew on false pretenses, thinking that you do "real hiphop" and you don't. Or you audition for something only to find out that this is not what you thought it was. Alot of people care what true hip hop is.

But it is true, street hiphop and studio hip hop is very different. Thanks to some recent dance shows though, street hip hop is getting more publicity.

Okay fair enough, that makes sense. I like both kinds of hiphop. I dance both kinds. I just mean if monkey is having fun doing what she is..it shouldn't bother her it's not "real hiphop".

And to the OP..In classes I've found that with Studio it's alot of choreography like when it's real hiphop you learn things you could use at a club or battle outside of performing onstage.
re: What's "real" hip hop? (karma: 1)
By teran
On Mon Aug 04, 2008 05:59 AM
i think real hip hop is much more than just the streets and the origins of the whole hip hop culture.i think it's more about being true to yourself in the sense of taking something that is so raw and so true in it's essence and creating art ,i think that is where the whole streets element comes in ,it's also about taking pride in who you are ,it not about who you are it's about what you believe in ,it's a unity ,it's about bringing everyone together regardless of the fact of where you grew up.it's about taking a part of you and exposing it to the world regardless of how you show it.so in essence true hip-hop is the true you.
By Rodneyzoe
On Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:22 AM
To learn hip hop, it has to be based in one of it's forms, popping, locking, breaking, house, etc. if your taking classes in L.A. it's gonna be hard to find a teacher that will teach you correctly. find a dancer with actual hip hop experience and seek them out. There out there. Good luck.
By SkiiyHiy
On Tue Aug 12, 2008 09:30 PM
House is another culture, it is not Hip Hop. Although the two share similarities with in the culture and dance.

Studio takes away the essence of Hip Hop dancing. If you go to a studio to dance then to me thats wack. Your not dancing! You mimicking some one else creation, unless they're teaching foundation. Even with foundation you still have to do it own your own and build off of that. I recommend going to Hip Hop jams, events, parties and try picking it up your self, or asking a dancer to teach you. Go to a freestyle session.
By SkiiyHiy
On Tue Aug 12, 2008 09:32 PM
House is another culture, it is not Hip Hop. Although the two share similarities with in the culture and dance.

Studio takes away the essence of Hip Hop dancing. If you go to a studio to dance then to me thats wack. Your not dancing! You mimicking some one else creation, unless they're teaching foundation. Even with foundation you still have to do it own your own and build off of that. I recommend going to Hip Hop jams, events, parties and try picking it up your self, or asking a dancer to teach you. Go to a freestyle session.
By LFHofCFDA
On Mon Sep 15, 2008 03:38 PM
It is hard to find good hip-hop teachers outside of the areas from where the industry originates it, in my opinion - search you tube for video clips of the following choreographers that are LA based:
David Moore
Chuck Maldanado
Nick Wilson
Phlex
Jabari
Havic
Jaffar
etc..
By AeroBeachBaby18
On Mon Sep 15, 2008 06:02 PM
I've seen a lot of "hip hop" routine that should are more along the lines of jazz because in hip hop its more free flowing lose and fun and you don't do piuorettes (not the right spelling I know)
By ChiLBoogie
On Sat Oct 18, 2008 07:21 PM
Now THIS is a discussion. I come from a time when there was no such thing as a hip hop class. we learned hip hop by watching music videos and sneaking into clubs to try to jump into a freestyle circle. I have watched soooo many dancers fail at doing the most simple movement because they're too busy worrying about learning some step or the "proper" technique. Hip hop dance is an art that is about being creative and FEELING the music. A simple head nod to the beat is NOT rocket science and if i judge one more hiphop competition and see a pirouette, i'm gonna scream! Watch videos of heavy d & the boys, mc hammer, mc lyte with her dancers, big daddy kane with his dancers...and research the Poppin' Petes, Shabadoos and Poppin Taco's of the world...that is where you'll find "real" hip hop.
By popergerm
On Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:16 PM
The problem I got with studio hip hop is that it is too clean. I mean yea ok show some flexability, do weird spins at the end of a glide, fine but how to move hip hop style is not something you learn in a class and its not some pop music video of glorified hookers like the pussycat dolls. Its in the nightclubs, its in the street corners of the big cities, its at battles. that is the real hip hop. pop culture takes what ever it is and waters it down and simplifies it to the masses to the lowest common denomiator, that is how it was with the electronic music of the early 2000s, that is how it was with american cartoons immitating anime, story without depth.

That is the problem of popculture. Its a place to start but, boy band hip hop, is a cross between glorified jazz and real street hip hop.

That is my take. Its all about the soul you put into your moves, without fakeing it.

signed Jeremy Popergerm
By killer_queen
On Fri Nov 21, 2008 06:18 PM
my hip hop teacher definetely teaching me jazz-funk. And it's not even jazzFUNK its like awkwardness on a stick. We just got a new teacher and he is so much looser than she is and the choreography is just so free! I love it and if it weren't for him I would have never known what hip hop is all about!
By popergerm
On Sat Nov 22, 2008 01:02 AM
I see well good.
By idontgoonn
On Sat Nov 22, 2008 07:46 PM
Edited by idontgoonn (83003) on 2008-11-22 19:47:39
Edited by idontgoonn (83003) on 2008-11-22 19:47:56
Watch this battle. This is real hip hop dancing (freestyle hip hop)

www.youtube.com . . .
By tatie13
On Tue Dec 02, 2008 05:17 PM
So i'm just curious....would you consider groups like...
The jabbawockeez, kaba modern, and boogie monstarz real hop-hop?
(and other groups like them) Or would that be more studio hip-hop?
By tresbienmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:23 PM
^ I think people call them street dancers?? I'm not sure =]
re: What's "real" hip hop? (karma: 1)
By dwd34mv
On Thu Dec 11, 2008 07:25 AM
I think it is wonderful that you are going out there and researching the style of dance you are learning. I wish I had students that passonate about their skill. I have students that don't know what old school means, who Janet Jackson is, even who great choreographers of today are. I give you props for digging for knowledge. Dance is subjective as far as what style you like the most, but to care about the culture is key. I played some Damien Marley in my high school class and they started making fun of the reggae sound. I felt embarrassed for them.
By vballmonkey433
On Thu Dec 11, 2008 08:07 PM
dwd34mv wrote:

I think it is wonderful that you are going out there and researching the style of dance you are learning. I wish I had students that passonate about their skill. I have students that don't know what old school means, who Janet Jackson is, even who great choreographers of today are. I give you props for digging for knowledge. Dance is subjective as far as what style you like the most, but to care about the culture is key. I played some Damien Marley in my high school class and they started making fun of the reggae sound. I felt embarrassed for them.

Thank you. Now I feel better after posting this topic. I've taken all of your advice and I agree with Teran, that hip hop is about embracing your own style through dance. :)
re: you do you think
By shaq_112001
On Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:42 AM
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch