Forum: Disco / Disco - 18+

Bit of a rant about my job...
By gill_cmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jun 16, 2008 07:50 AM
Edited by gill_c (107244) on 2008-06-16 08:04:31 spelling x

I work in a hotel and I also go to college so I'm part-time...

My hours change everyweek so it's pretty hectic when I don't know what shifts I have coming! Also the job can be VERY demanding as the manager expects all of us waitresses to be able to do everything.

One night I was carrying a buffet tray full of curry up some stairs for a wedding... and on the way up the tray (which was far too big for someone of my height and build to be carrying) started to burn my arm. I knew if I dropped it I would scald all of my body so I kept hold and let it burn my arm, also because the manager would have went mental with me had I dropped it. So I went back downstairs and my arm was in agony, I showed the manager who was in the kitchen and he just asked if I was ok, told me to run it under the cold tap and carry on. So far I think he hasn't taken much interest as I was in a lot of pain and I think there should have been more notice taken.

So afterwards, (me not knowing about accident books etc) I kept pestering the manager to write it in and he continued to delay it... which is illegal? Took 3 weeks to FINALLY get it put in the book. I was only new at my job so hadn't been trained for buffets so they wrote in the book that I should use cloths on my arms in future. However, I did have cloths but I wasn't shown how to carry the huge tray properly hence the burns.

I now have bad scarring on my arm and feel that the management didn't take enough notice about my injury and other girls are allowed to carry trays in this way even 4 months on.

Picture of my burns about 2 weeks after
Image hotlink - 'http://i28.tinypic.com/qnpr88.jpg'

I don't know where I stand? Am I insured to carry large hot trays of food? I know I am a waitress, but we all have limits! And is there any point in making a claim?

Gill x

8 Replies to Bit of a rant about my job...

re: Bit of a rant about my job...
By Danztarmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jun 16, 2008 09:00 AM
Ouch! That burn looks really bad and if you weren't trained properly then the responsibilty lies with your employer I would have thought. That being said, if you knew the tray was hot then why didn't you use a cloth? It could be said that the burn was caused by a lack of common sense in that case. I would perhaps contact your local citizens advice bureau for some advice. Good luck!
By gill_cmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jun 16, 2008 09:01 AM
I did use cloths, the bits of my arm that burned were where the cloths had moved while carrying it. Thanks for the advice,

Gill x
By Helen_elise
On Fri Jun 20, 2008 07:41 AM
I think thats terrible that you felt obliged to carry the tray.

I work in a HR department but the advise I can give you is too look into your policys as much as you can and see whats started in there? If it states that the incident needs to be recorded within a time scale then obviously you have evidence to back this up.

Going foward you might want to speak to a doctor who can give you a written medical report to say you cant carry something over a certain weight, this way they will have to make reasonable adjustments to accommodate this. If they continue to ask you to carry then you have evidence to make a claim.

I think the advise above about contacting the local citizens advise burro is good. Also a company called EEF are good when it comes to employment law.

Good luck!!

Helen x
By Helen_elise
On Fri Jun 20, 2008 07:45 AM
I think thats terrible that you felt obliged to carry the tray.

I work in a HR department but the advise I can give you is too look into your policys as much as you can and see whats started in there? If it states that the incident needs to be recorded within a time scale then obviously you have evidence to back this up.

Going foward you might want to speak to a doctor who can give you a written medical report to say you cant carry something over a certain weight, this way they will have to make reasonable adjustments to accommodate this. If they continue to ask you to carry then you have evidence to make a claim.

I think the advise above about contacting the local citizens advise burro is good. Also a company called EEF are good when it comes to employment law.

Good luck!!

Helen x
By groovygranmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jun 20, 2008 08:02 AM
Edited by groovygran (82337) on 2008-06-20 08:03:50
Firstly the incident should have been put in the book straight away
You also were not trained for the job which you had been asked to do ...which is very wrong
Hope you take advice and also have all the evidence like your photos etc but also will need statement from the doctor who treated you etc
You will be able I am sure to claim for this from your company as looks to me like misconduct on the mangers part on several points

Please go to citizens advice or is there anyone at College?[as seems you probably are doing a Catering course to be doing this type of waitressing ]and start the process as quickly as you can

Good Luck

Mama DD's xxx
By TobyTmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:47 AM
came to this thread late !!!
I am sick of hearing about employers exploiting their younger workforce !!!
they need to pay you for the scarring, pain and downright shoddy way of handling this
get in contact with no win no fee solicitors there are loads in the phone book, on tv and on-line, go for a big firm !!
I am positive you have a case, and £5000 would go a little way towards recompence and your future
get angry !!

lots of luck and take care
Teresa xx
By indigo_dancer
On Sun Jun 29, 2008 01:15 AM
Oh my Gosh! that is absolutely horrible! I think you need to talk to your manager and explain to him how extremely serious the matter is and how much trouble he/she could get into for not taking proper care and helping employees with work saftey. If you wanted to you could probably make this a case. Let them know how you feel and if they still don't show any care, I think it may be best to act on it or find people who actually do care about your safety.
By dancinmum
On Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:15 PM
Sorry came on this post lte but this is what you need to do,

As your line manager has not acted appropriatly over the incident you have to go to the next highest person - as you work in a hotel this will prob be the general manager, tell him exactly what happened and let him /her know that you will take it further if not sorted out. Give them time to invstigate but make sure you are kept up to speed with things, and dont let them drag along at a snail pace.You have 5 years in which to make a claim so keep this in mind.

I burned my arm lke you on a tray when at catering collageand luckaly after a few years the scar dissapeared so fingers crossed

Mikki

ReplySendWatch