Forum: Adults / Dance Therapy

Dance Therapy
Anyone know of any good books about dance therapy?
By mazie Comments: 772, member since Thu Feb 10, 2005
On Mon Jun 16, 2008 04:13 PM

Hey,

I'm taking my foundation certificate in dance movement psychotherapy next year (in QMU edinburgh). It's a part time evening course that i'm doing while still at medical school. Once i'm through my medical degree i hope to go back and do a masters in dance therapy.

Anyway basically i was just wondering if there are any good books on dance therapy. I've read the stickies about dance therapy but i was wondering if there would be books out there with more details: maybe more about the history, methods and uses of dance therapy etc.

thanks in advance for any help
x

1 Replies to Anyone know of any good books about dance therapy?

re: Anyone know of any good books about dance therapy?
By dancebiscuit Comments: 95, member since Mon Dec 20, 2004
On Fri Jun 27, 2008 07:43 AM
Here are some that we had to read for class (I am currently working on my masters in dance therapy)

"Dance Movement Therapy: A Healing Art" By Fran Levy
This is a great one about history, and helps you to get an idea of what dance therapy is, it also tells about some of the methods, but I have found that I really did not understand what DMT was until I experienced it...but this is a GREAT BOOK!

"Foundations of Dance/Movement Therapy: The Life and Work of Marian Chace" Edited by Susan L. Sandel, Sharon Chaiklin and Ann Lohn
This one also gives history...especially of Marion Chace, who is one of the leading pioneers of dance therapy.

"Dance and Other Expressive Arts Therapies: When Words are Not Enough" Edited by Fran Levy
This one has a lot of case studies, to see how it has worked with different populations...very interesting book.

And since you are into the medical field, this is one written by one of my teachers, one of the leading people in medical DMT:
"An Introduction to Medical Dance/Movement Therapy: Healthcare in Motion" By Sharon Goodill

I am sure there are more that I am forgetting...but those were some of my favorites! Happy Reading!

ReplySendWatch