Popular Teachers

Looking for a great tap arrangement of any of these song...help! by teachtap
For adult advance tap dancers.....hoping to put a medley together with these songs: Gotta Dance,...

Forum: Hip Hop / House

House
What is house en>fr fr>en
By aly12345 Comments: 69, member since Tue Mar 25, 2008
On Tue Jun 17, 2008 06:07 PM
Edited by aly12345 (194000) on 2008-06-17 18:07:45

WOW!!!!

Ican't belive this post isn't a sticky.

Well anyway, I am a ballet dancer trying to learn about different styles of dance.

I have been researching DDN, you know chekin' out the stickies and seeing what the different dances were, when I stumbled upon House.

So, What is House?

Thnx,
aly12345

3 Replies to What is house

re: What is house en>fr fr>en
By weavers Comments: 246, member since Fri Feb 09, 2007
On Wed Jun 18, 2008 03:10 PM
you know what a club is? well in the early 1970s there was this club/warehouse, in new york called "house" they had a different kind of music that wasn't quite funk or disco, it was a bit of both with bass drums, electronic beats and sometimes vocals. and all different kinds of dancers went to these clubs. so house dance has ballet, it has jazz, it has hip-hop, it has break dancing, it has disco, it has all of this mixed together, and things elements browed from other forms of dance to create house dance.

wikipedia, isn't to great for history, but it gives a basic outline for stuff. if you want a real history or know more about the dance, then you gotta hit the clubs and find out yourself then, then find someone that teaches house and knows about the origins of house.

en.wikipedia.org . . .
By lare Comments: 88, member since Wed May 31, 2006
On Fri Jun 20, 2008 09:32 AM
Edited by lare (160026) on 2008-06-20 09:33:19
Hello Aly. HOuse Dance itself is an umbrella term involving several dance forms. To really understand the dance you have to look at the style of music that came about in the mid 70s to 80s. House music originated in Chicago in a club known as the Wherehouse. At this club a phenom that came about was something known as jacking which is primarliy the body movement segment of house dance. At the wherehouse a man named frankie knuckles played disco tracks that were re-touched to have a beat sequenced 4 on the floor structure bring a much harder and raw sound.

Also during the mid 70s another club in New York called The Loft was running and it brought a much more different sound. David Mancuso was the main force behind the event in which he thre private parties at his Loft. It was here that many different styles were exchanged and meshed since there were many trained dancers as well as street dancers that would attend. You had trained ballet, jazz, modern, tap that pretty much developed into a unique style in which people today label it as "lofting". The key elements in lofting involve sensuality, and being really prolific in spins, graceful groundmoves, and graceful big moves per se such as dives, flips, etc. But the key thing in "lofting" is realling taking a lyrical feel, being really in sync with the music and getting lost with the ambiance of the deep sensual sounds of the music. David Mancuso played a unique form of music that was pretty much the foundation of deep house. where in chicago you had a harder sound that became the foundation for things like acid house, techno, funky house, etc.

So this leaves the last element in house dance which is footwork. Im not exactly sure as to whether chicago/nyc holds the crown with the development of the techniques but overall it involves primarily takin on latin feels, african feels, tap, lindy hop, bebop even, and redefined hip hop/bboy movments.

I think the unique thing about house dance is the fact that it covers many grounds, being senusal, lyrical, feminine, msuciality, and flow. It brings alot of dance forms together and sort of redefines things.

Hope this helped you for more info check housedancer.com
and feel free to watch our house dance practice at youtube.com/takid886 in San Diego.

Lare - Vibe Tribe
By JackDaniel Comments: 62, member since Thu Sep 01, 2005
On Tue Jun 24, 2008 02:40 PM
Yo Larry! Great break down of the history man!

Let me touch on a few aspects of the dance that larry did not cover.

House Dance is similar to most classical dances in that it has basic fundimental/foundational steps and moves that define the dance.

While being a purely freestyle expressional social dance, it is often thought of as an abstract dance with no mold or structure but in actuality it is governed by its foundation. Many have applied these elements to form choreography but the roots of this dance lie in the clubs, on the dancefloors, and in circles where a form of non verbal communication is exchanged with its practitioners.

House Dance is now found on most continents of the world and most commonly found in the cities of:

New York
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Paris
Tokyo

if you want to know more go to youtube and watch as many house dance videos as possible. There are many so some are good and some are bad... Should give you a general idea.

Search for dancers such as:

Ejoe Wilson
Terry Wright
Brian Green
Caleaf
Tone McGreggor
Marjory
Meech Onomo

that should be enough to keep you busy for a while.

Hope i could be of some assistance.
My 2 cents,
Danny

ReplySendWatch