Forum: General / Tap / Tap - Advanced

Tap - Advanced
So, does this ever happen to you?
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Tue Jun 17, 2008 09:22 PM

Okay this summer my studio is only offering one tap class, and it's an adult tap class - I decided to take it.

The class has different levels - there are two people who've never tapped before in their lives, two people who started tap last fall and me (I've been tapping for 12 years).

We do barre together then break off into our different levels.

They barre is Grade 3 of the Al Gilbert tapes/cds. It's so slow! I feel like I'm just standing there - it's killing me to go that slow.

This is probably a sign I shouldn't teach tap. Does it ever kill you to tap slow?

8 Replies to So, does this ever happen to you?

re: So, does this ever happen to you?
By glitterfairyPremium member Comments: 12135, member since Tue Oct 01, 2002
On Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:31 PM
As a student, it kills me. As a teacher, it's probably 60% of what you do ;)

Bear in mind that when you are teaching (properly) your mindset willbe completely different. You're frustrated now because you know that in a 'class', you should be learning something, or at least being challenged. As a teacher, you will be completely focussed on the progress of your students.
By LilDancerGalmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 269, member since Sat Jan 24, 2004
On Thu Jun 19, 2008 07:49 PM
Oh yeah..
During our past summer intensives, we'd have tap class now and then, and even though I was in the advance group, it would go soooo slow. See, our studio isn't much of a tap studio, and it's the one class that isn't required. So most of the girls are only taking a tap class a few times a year and that's during the summer intensive.
It pretty much kills me, but our teacher would give me harder things to do now and then so that helped.

But like the about poster, when you're teaching you're in a different mindset. I've helped teach the younger kids during the tap classes, and all you're worried about is their improvement and success, not your own. If you're a pretty patient person in most everything else, then I'd give teaching a try. :)
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:57 PM
If I had to do Al Gilbert level 3 it would kill me. I was raised on Al Gilbert and while this syllabus is fundamentally sound I really disagree with teaching with his voice or records. The same combos can be done to much better music and you don't have to use the barre (though some teachers like it.) I think it makes students want to gnaw off their own arm, and have had success with doing all those exercises center floor.

As a teacher going slow, and doing things OVER and OVER again is the name of the game. Remember as a teacher if you are bored so are your students. So, you can spruce things up anytime. Why does the teacher do the same set up in class week to week. It is predictable and that alone can get boring. Why not start across the floor to shake things up a bit. As a teacher you can do all of those things. Think out of the box. Use different music...country, classical, jazz, rock, hip-hop, R&B. Show your dancers how versatile tap is. You can work on counter rhythms, improv, across the floor, tricks, center exercises, rudiments, make up new time steps etc. There are so many things you can do with a tap class even with mixed levels to keep it fun and interesting for all.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:39 PM
It's good to see I'm not alone.

A new girl joined the class. She was in my normal class but it was her first year in that class - she has only had tap for 3 years.

Sometimes the teacher will have us do grade/level 4-5 while the others work on other stuff. It's all stuff I remember doing a long time ago. But to be honest I have no clue which one my normal class does...I think we use level 7 as a warm up barre, then the teacher would make up stuff for across the floor or center. Now I'm just rambling.
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 14381, member since Mon Aug 11, 2003
On Sat Jul 26, 2008 09:11 PM
When I was in college, I signed up for an "advanced" class...got there to find out "advanced" only meant that they had taken the "beginner" and "intermediate" semesters. OY.

Finally hoping I can get into a class this fall somewhere around here...
On Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:22 PM
Munkenstein wrote:

When I was in college, I signed up for an "advanced" class...got there to find out "advanced" only meant that they had taken the "beginner" and "intermediate" semesters. OY.

Finally hoping I can get into a class this fall somewhere around here...

AH. That must've sucked.
By glitterfairyPremium member Comments: 12135, member since Tue Oct 01, 2002
On Mon Jul 28, 2008 04:17 AM
Edited by glitterfairy (42646) on 2008-07-28 04:17:58 nah this doesn't need elaboration to be funny
lolz. I can do one better!!!

I was reading the classes for a community college once, and found some tap classes. Know what the definition of 'advanced classes' was?

"Tap shoes required"
On Tue Jul 29, 2008 06:32 PM
glitterfairy wrote:

lolz. I can do one better!!!

I was reading the classes for a community college once, and found some tap classes. Know what the definition of 'advanced classes' was?

"Tap shoes required"

wow. That's shocking.

ReplySendWatch