Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Beginners

how to improve a straddle leap/ spotting?
By keelyyyx3
On Fri Jun 20, 2008 09:14 AM
Edited by keelyyyx3 (193820) on 2008-06-20 09:46:43

hi, i've been trying to improve my straddle leaps alot but it seems like my legs are handicapped when i put it all together. when i kick my right leg alone and my left leg alone they are much higher than when i try to do the leap. does anyone know of any excercises or tips to help me improve my leaps. i also have the problem of flexed feet sometimes when i do my straddle leap. i do have a trampoline but i dont use it at all anymore. would it aid my leaps to try and use one to strengthen or heighten my leaps?

in addition, i'm taking intermediate advanced stretch leaps and turns this summer and everyone in the class has solid turns for the most part. i went to my first class last night and the teacher said to " leave my head where it is in the front" because i keep spotting to the sides when i really need to spot front. i keep falling out of the turns and part of it is because i whip my head so fast that i dont see myself in the mirror when i am supposed to be spotting. am i supposed to see my entire face in the mirror clearly every time or not when you spot correctly? i try to practice fouettes and leaps at home but when i do, i usually knock into something. could you possibly try them in the grass outside or somewhere around the house? any help with spotting or help in general would help too.

any help would be appreciated ! = ]

6 Replies to how to improve a straddle leap/ spotting?

re: how to improve a straddle leap/ spotting?
By wafa_dance
On Tue Jun 24, 2008 08:35 AM
if you have a room with a mirror in your house and have room to turn go there. this way you won't feel pressured by other people and you can practice by yourself. also, go to your teacher and tell her you want to practice. she might let you stay there and practice. as far as turns, put something that stands out on a mirror. this wil help you to spt. as you get better, make this smaller, then eventually take it away. i did this with my dance class and it really helped.
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jun 24, 2008 08:56 AM
If you're having problems spotting, you need to start by practicing one turn at a time. Once you can do one, move to two. Once you can do two proper turns, try three. Don't try to do 15 turns because you're just basically reinforcing your incorrect technique.

Grass is terrible for turns. If you can find a patio with a big glass door, that'd be much better.

As far as the leaps go, you just need to practice more. Focus on tendus, degages, and battements to train yourself to point your feet. And you don't need any special exercises to improve your leap - just do about a million of them, and they'll improve. But make sure you're not sacrificing technique for extension. Start with the legs low, and only increase your extension once you have pointed feet, straight knees, and great posture.
By dancingkitty5678
On Tue Jul 22, 2008 08:11 PM
when you're doing your straddle jump make sure you tuck your bum under and plie`!

Comment #7408266 deleted
Removed by oz_helen (35388) on 2008-07-30 04:14:16 Why are you shouting random words? Typing LIKE this IS annoying and MAKES your posts hard TO read.

By sky_dancer_2010member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:44 PM
Well, lets take this step by step.

To improve your side leaps (straddle leaps as you called the, side leaps is just more natural for me), sit in your straddle streach and make sure that you have your tushy tucked under. Then get a chair and something as heavy as you are or another person and practice just jumping in the air and tucking your tushy under in a regular russian. Eventually, you'll figure out how you can pop your legs up in the peak of your jump and BAM you have it. =]

and about your spotting.

I used to have this problem, but really, what you have to do is just focus on the very very very basics. When most of us at the studio began having this problem in TEAM dances, we did this across the floor...

you start in a right prep for chaine turns, and you do 1-2-3- and on 4 you stop with your body facing the back, and then you do 5-6-7- on the left and hit front on 8. It really does help your spotting.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me! I'm more than glad to help!
By lovelyfiction
On Thu Sep 18, 2008 03:08 PM
In a straddle leap the key is to USE YOUR CORE! You get all your strength from there and make sure you "sit" a little in your leap so that your legs go super high.

ReplySendWatch