Forum: Guard / Color Guard

Ballet or Colorguard aaahhg..
By curlicarly667
On Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:33 AM

I'm on my school's colorguard this year, but I would also be starting pointe and ballet 3. Our colorguard is really really serious, and we've been working on fall stuff even BEFORE school ended. So, should I quit colorguard? Do any of you know if it is really hard to catch up to your level if you are starting pointe? Thanks.

9 Replies to Ballet or Colorguard aaahhg..

re: Ballet or Colorguard aaahhg..
By ghilliegirl1592member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jun 25, 2008 07:21 PM
well I'm a dancer too and it is VERY hard to do both in my opinion. Because in either if you focus on one then the other you will fall behind in.
I think you just have to think about which you are more passionate about, which you want to go further in.
it stinks that you have to choose one or the other though, good luck with your decision.
re: Ballet or Colorguard aaahhg.. (karma: 1)
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jun 25, 2008 09:17 PM
That's not always the case. My senior year, I was guard captain at my high school, I danced, and I also marched in a world class independent guard. Of course, I never slept. But I really think the dance classes helped improve my guard skills and vice versa. You just have to figure out how hard you want to work.
By SLBdancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jun 26, 2008 08:29 PM
I was similar to panic my senior year - I was captain of my high school guard, I marched an independent open winter guard, and I danced as well, and like panic, i also didn't sleep much that year, but it was also worth it because that was the last chance I had the opportunity, time, and finances to do all of that. I loved it all and didn't want to give anything up, knowing that when I graduated high school, I'd be getting involved in new and different activities since the school I am at now doesnt offer guard or dance at all.
By curlicarly667
On Fri Jun 27, 2008 03:39 PM
Thanks. I don't think it's really possible for me to do both. Colorguard would be 4 times a week, and dance would be at least 2. I would do both if I could though! Plus I have all of these honors classes.. OMG I'm going to go insane.

Also: WOW Panic and SLBdancer you must have had reallyyy busy schedules.
By SLBdancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jun 29, 2008 01:57 PM
Edited by SLBdancer (33542) on 2008-06-29 13:59:53
Haha ok, I was thinking to try and help you out a little more...if it were me and I was choosing between guard and ballet, I would probably choose guard and here's why. You say your high school guard is pretty serious, so I'm guessing they are also pretty good, and you are fortunate to be at a school that takes guard seriously, not all schools do, my high school certainly didn't but atleast we had one and it was still fun. You only have 4 years of high school to participate in high school guard, you can take ballet at any age since its not through school specifically. Also, even if you did go on to do college guard or drum corps or another related activity, you "age out" when you are 22, meaning that after that age, you can't compete anymore. (there are some exceptions, like world class guard and senior corps, but the big stuff you usually see on DCI and many of the WGI guards and BOA marching bands, you age out).

So basically, you have sort of a time limit on guard, whereas ballet can be done any time, so if it were me, I would choose the oppotunity to do guard while I can. Plus, I'm in college now, at a school where they don't offer guard, and there really aren't any independent guards I could join around here, so I am glad I got to do 4 years of it while in high school because I miss it a ton now!

I hope this helped a little more. :)
By curlicarly667
On Sun Jun 29, 2008 09:38 PM
Aww thanks for trying to help me some more :) And I guess never really thought of the whole time limit to guard thing. So I guess I probably will do guard. Haha. Thanks for the encouragement!
By btjplgirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:18 PM
Hi, I was in the same/similar situation as you about 6 years ago where I had to choose between ballet or colorguard due to scheduling conflicts. You have to think long and hard about what you are more passionate about and what you think can benefit you more in the long run. Personally I chose ballet because I didn't want to give up something I had been working my whole life for...luckily I know it was a good decision because senior year our guard team broke up :( But it was one of the hardest decisions of my life that took me all summer to make! Plus you might be able to make it work, I did balance it for about a year and a half before they conflicted schedules with each other...
By curlicarly667
On Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:17 PM
Yep, it sounds like we have (had) similar situations! It is a really tough decision..
By btjplgirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:15 PM
Yea it is a tough decision. I remember that summer so well, I asked everyone what I should do, but only I knew what was truly right for me. I hope that you don't stress out too much over it and relax and have a happy 4th!

ReplySendWatch