Forum: General / Tap / Tap - Advanced

Tap - Advanced
New Bloch tap shoe
By blochpointesalltmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1689, member since Sun Oct 14, 2007
On Sun Jun 22, 2008 06:52 PM

Its apparently endorsed by Jason Samuels Smith.

www.blochworld.com . . .
www.blochworld.com . . .
tapdance.info . . .

11 Replies to New Bloch tap shoe

re: New Bloch tap shoe
By glitterfairyPremium member Comments: 12135, member since Tue Oct 01, 2002
On Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:02 PM
I still don't understand all the fuss about stacked heels. A heel is a heel - due to body physiology heel sounds are generally louder than tap sounds anyway, so why double-sole the toe and triple-sole the heel? I don't get it. I don't get it. I don't get it.

That aside, I'm afraid to say I think the shoe looks silly. Any self-respecting tapper would avoid patent leather like the plague, and something about the lace-up area just looks really silly to me. I point to hwww.salvios.com.au . . . as an example of how I think an oxford shoe could be cut - if you look closely you'll see the extra sewing and reinforcing around the laces.
By blochpointesalltmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1689, member since Sun Oct 14, 2007
On Mon Jun 23, 2008 09:22 AM
I think they're silly looking, too. The Oxford cut doesn't even look like an Oxford. I'm not a fan of Bloch tap shoes anyway. It looks like they're trying to compete with Capezio's K360/other SMU built up tap shoes.

Regarding the patent leather: I've actually seen some really cool patent leather tap shoes on someone in MADD Rhythms. They were really nicely name, too. I'm almost positive it was either Lee Howard or Jabowen Dixon; not sure. But they looked cool then. However, I've seen other patent leather ones on advanced tappers (that weren't the little kid mary jane kind) and they looked ridiculous.
On Tue Jun 24, 2008 06:08 AM
My biggest issue with patent leather is a) it doesn't stretch, and b) it doesn't wear - it CRACKS! Like those fake leather handbags you buy *hides her own fake leather handbag with worn-away-fake-leather-patch-on-inside*.

So in terms of functionability, it's next to nothing, especially if you tap hard. The 'box' part of the shoe is usually one of the first places to go. Of course, if you're sponsored and can get shoe replacements whenever you need them, go for it...

The rest of us will stick to regular leather :P
On Tue Jun 24, 2008 08:35 AM
Heh. I had no idea patent leather did that. The last time I've worn patent leather was in maybe 1st grade before I got real tap shoes.

On a similar subject, I might have to do a little patent-leather-wearing-down-fast research before I convince my grandparents that I really do want this: www.coach.com . . . as my only christmas AND Birthday present this year.
On Tue Jun 24, 2008 08:49 AM
Properly taken care of, I imagine patent leather lasts the same as any other kind of synthetic leather. The problem is when people expect it to last under serious strain, eg tap shoes. So long as you're not planning to drag that bag along the concrete you should be ok ;)
On Tue Jun 24, 2008 09:21 AM
Lol. thanks, Glitter.
By adageacemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3982, member since Thu Sep 01, 2005
On Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:21 AM
Yeah, bags get a heck of a lot less abuse than an advanced tapper's shoes ;)

Can't say I'm keen on the look of these, though, issues of durability aside. I'll stick to my regular leather and non-built up heels, thank you very much. My heel beats are quite loud enough and deep enough without it, and I imagine I'd feel like I'd be dancing in platform shoes.

Maybe it's a hangover from ballet or something, but I quite like to be able to feel the floor when I dance.
On Wed Jun 25, 2008 01:21 AM
Me too!

I don't even like soundboards and have them removed wherever possible. Still debating whether or not they're neccessary though... it's possible they could be...
By adageacemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3982, member since Thu Sep 01, 2005
On Wed Jun 25, 2008 07:25 AM
Hm. I'm wondering what my Capezios would sound like without a sound board. I might take it off one of these days, just to see the difference.
On Wed Jun 25, 2008 09:35 AM
I like the sound boards that are made of... well, they're really thin and I would compare them to some of what pointe shoe shanks are made of, really hard, really thin, not metal, not cardboard... I don't know. I like those fine, but I can't stand metal soundboards.
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:50 PM
2 words...sell out. When have you seen Jason Samuel's Smith wear a pair of Bloch tap shoes? Capezio K360's, Miller and Ben's, but Bloch? Come on. Doing it for the money, getting his name on a shoe etc. Yeah he'll be dancing in them at his tap festival to promote them, but don't tell me that is the shoe of choice. I just don't believe it.

How much are the shoes going for? I couldn't see myself wearing patent leather shoes. Takes a special person to pull that look off!

ReplySendWatch