Popular Highland

Is Crazy hair colour allowed ? by macthistle
The question seems to be asked a lot with no real definite answer. Will brightly coloured hair(pink/blue etc) get you disqualified from competing or can points be deducted?

Forum: Ballet / Pointe - Beginners

Pointe - Beginners
How do you improve your instep/ankle? i.e. that graceful bump en>fr fr>en
By Primaballerina_3 Comments: 24, member since Sat Jun 30, 2007
On Wed Jun 25, 2008 09:43 AM

I really need to improve my instep (make them higher) if that is what that graceful bump is, and if thats possible. Does anyone know any excersizes for this??

12 Replies to How do you improve your instep/ankle? i.e. that graceful bump

re: How do you improve your instep/ankle? i.e. that graceful bump en>fr fr>en
By Aqualeine Comments: 475, member since Wed Mar 28, 2007
On Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:23 AM
I think the top bump is your arch and the bottom of your foot is the instep. I could be wrong.

I don't think that you can make that bump any bigger. You can improve your instep (the bottom of your foot) which will help you get your heel higher off the floor, but I don't think it will make your arch look any archier. Will it? I could be wrong.

My arch is not very high, but I have improved my instep through countless releves, stretching my feet with a resistance band, and doing forced arches (releve to demi point, then bend into a plie knee bend while remaining on demi point and pushing through the ball of your foot.) And even though my demi point has gotten higher, the top of my foot still looks the same, no bumpier.
By KaptainKlancymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 276, member since Sat Jan 05, 2008
On Wed Jun 25, 2008 01:16 PM
I'm pretty sure that the instep is on the top and the arch is on the bottom, but I could be wrong. I'm also relatively sure that having a high instep or not is a pre-determined trait that you can't alter. Maybe you could ask your teacher and see what he/she says.
By Old_Dancer_Chic Comments: 100, member since Sat Nov 12, 2005
On Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:40 PM
I found this picture on the internet showing the diagram of a well formed instep as well as a article about the subject. It talks about natural bone structure and how some dancers use arch enhancers.

www.britannica.com . . .=

Hopes this helps :)
By sugarfairy_member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1529, member since Sat Feb 09, 2008
On Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:59 AM
I have to say that you can't improve your instep (or whatver it is called) to look like this. Your feet (and everyone else's) are made of bones - and these bones form the instep too. You can learn how to work with your feet properly so they can look beautiful even if they don't have very high insteps, and maybe improve your arch a litte, but people with flat feet will always have fleet feet because you can't change your bones.
By pointe92member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 807, member since Fri May 25, 2007
On Mon Jun 30, 2008 05:52 PM
im pretty sure its just a bone and it is what it is :/ however... you can buy things to put on (like a sock) to make it LOOK like your arch is bigger. see links below.

www.fancyfoot.com

www.dancearches.com.au

www.discountdance.com . . .

i gave you some options :P or there is a machine that might help see link.

www.discountdance.com . . .

lots to read :)
good luck,
pointe29
By Radiant_Smile Comments: 15, member since Thu Aug 21, 2008
On Sat Aug 23, 2008 01:53 PM
My teacher has repeatedly told my class that what makes a pointed foot look bautiful is: Vamp. The concept is "to disappear your heel into the back of your leg". I still have trouble with this, but thanks to that little phrase, I feel MUCH more ready for pointe.
Also, have a friend stretch your feet for you. It really helps. Also remember to keep your leg as straight as you possibly can. If you don't, you won't be able to hold it straight en pointe, onstage, and elsewhere. Stamina! Stamina!
Hope this helps.
Best of luck!!! ~:)
By odile53 Comments: 1913, member since Thu Sep 06, 2007
On Mon Aug 25, 2008 09:43 PM
The arch (actually, the longitudinal arch) runs along the bottom of the foot. The top of the foot is the instep. That is common usage. For some obscure reason, the ballet world has always referred to the instep as the arch.

The instep pretty much is what it is. The longitudinal arch can be strengthened (think tendus and releves) to maximize the appearance of the instep.

Tendus and releves really get fluffed over by lots of beginning and intermediate dancers. But if you think of it, everything builds from at least two of three movements--plie, tendu, and releve. Everything.

I learned when I was quite young to think of the tendu as emanating from the front of the ankle, the place that your ribbons would cross, and think of it as a stretch (which the name means in French) as opposed to a point. The toes are pretty much along for the ride. The stretch starts in the top of the ankle. This change will help emphasize the curve of the top of the foot when pointing the foot. You can't necessarily make it different (unless you are very, very young,) but you can make the most of what you have.
By snowangel Comments: 124, member since Sun May 02, 2004
On Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:22 PM
actually it is possible to improve it, that is if you are still young and stuff your bones can be "moulded" in that sense

however it it NOT RECCOMMENDED because its the bone you are talking about here and by changing the bone structure you may be deviating from what is healthy

take it from me, i had 2 intensive pointe performances last year. like les sylphides corp de ballet all that courus around for 16 mins (thats how long the item was and you cant travel anywhere without couruing) and the likes

that bone got nicer (i.e. stuck out more, protruded, whatever) because of the loads of pointe i did and my feet shrunk in size. yes SHRUNK. i dropped from a size 3C of bloch serenade to a size 2D. the bone kinda curved upwards so the length of my foot decreased and this was manifested in the protrusion of the bone there.

and because i do abit of modern too, all that rolling on the floor = abrasions on that part of the foot because the bone sticks out. ive got a permanent scar there because the skin there has been scraped goodness knows how many times

so the moral of the story is, its pretty, yes we all think its pretty. but be happy with what you have and indeed you can strengthen your arch through all the various exercises that the DDN members have mentioned above. but dont try to deal with things like bone structure and the likes.

and by the way, its not like im that young or anything that my bones are still soft and stuff. im 18 already and i dont think my bones are all that soft (though not that hard either) so yes...just a word of caution :)
By sassandbide Comments: 155, member since Thu Oct 27, 2005
On Fri Sep 05, 2008 02:10 AM
I would recommend therabands for strengthening. You can pic them up at dance stores they are rubber elastic band things and used in pilates also.
By Count8member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 687, member since Mon Jun 25, 2007
On Fri Sep 05, 2008 03:59 AM
It is totally wrong that you can't improve your arch. I've been 19 when I started arch training and yes, it has become better. Nobody will be able to tell me it's impossible :O
There are helpfull links in some of them stickys if I'm not mistaken.
By muckwi002member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 708, member since Mon Nov 05, 2007
On Sun Sep 07, 2008 02:02 PM
It IS possible!!
My foot used to look like a banana... the OPPOSITE way! Now, it's gotten A LOT better.
I did this using a thera-band and pointing it a lot. Whenever I'd sit and study or sit and watch TV, I'd just point and flex my foot a lot.
Releves help a lot too. Also, when you're standing on releve, use the muscle of the inside of the foot. I don't know how to explain it, but on the inside of the foot, there's a muscle.. You have to use it while on releve.
By faheemaballerinamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 79, member since Sun Apr 16, 2006
On Thu Sep 18, 2008 04:57 PM
i recently mentioned in another forum on how incredibly flat my feet once were (maybe in adult ballet? who knows!). they were TERRIBLE. and i even had doctors comment on how ghastly flat they were. i thought they were the ugliest feet in the world, by ballerina standards anyway.

but i agree with the other girls who say it's not impossible. you CAN improve your ability to stretch, and therefore the APPEARANCE of your fully stretched foot. you may never get the full on banana, but a well stretched, turned out foot looks pretty hot. and that, i dare say, CAN be done. :)

ReplySendWatch