Forum: Irish / Irish

Page:
Page 2 of 41 2 3 4
re: The Ultimate how to break in your shoes post
By dancerincali Comments: 16, member since Sun Apr 26, 2009
On Mon Sep 07, 2009 01:22 AM
i highly recommend not to use boiling water.

i did and it broke the soles of my shoes and they wont break in any more :(

i have heard that hot glove works great. and you can always do the whole rubber band and couch technique :)
By reelirishgirl1 Comments: 29, member since Thu Jul 23, 2009
On Sun Sep 20, 2009 03:19 PM
Helpful post!

I put my hardshoes on and stood in a tub of water(up to the ankle) for 3-4 minutes and rubber band them & let them dry for about a week. It's great but make sure to wear old socks!!
By mom22 Comments: 34, member since Thu Oct 29, 2009
On Thu Nov 05, 2009 06:52 AM
We typically bend the shoes first and then put clamps on them. First we bend the shoes with the toe box folding all the way back so that it rests on top of the arch and next to the heel. The shoe is literally bent in half. Sometimes this takes a bit of strength to bend the shoe this way. Then while holding the shoe in the fold, we put a clamp on it. The "clamp" is one that my husband gets at Home Depot or Lowes and uses in his garage/workshop. They have a metal bar and plastic grips so that you squeeze the plastic handle and the 2 plastic grips close together as you squeeze. I've seen them in orange, yellow, red, etc. Anyway, we squeeze the clamp to hold the shoe in place while folded. Then we leave the shoe that way for a few days. Sometimes, if the back of the heel feels too stiff, we bend the back of the heel backwards so that the opening opens up wider and clamp that too. But you have to be careful with the heel part because you don't want it to break too much. Sometimes the back of the heel can get too worn down so that it doesn't hold the foot in the shoe anymore. Hope that helps. We have done the clamp method on lots and lots of heavy shoes and it always does great. We used to do the couch method, but this is much better. Also, we never stretch out soft shoes because we think the point looks better in soft shoes that are not stretched out.
By DanceChick96 Comments: 40, member since Sat Nov 14, 2009
On Sun Mar 07, 2010 01:29 PM
ThANX!
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4130, member since Mon Mar 08, 2010
On Tue Mar 30, 2010 04:30 AM
Ive always just worn my shoes to break them in but my ex husband was in the army, and he always had loads of boots, gloves, peak hats that needed breaking in. He used to wear them a lot, use leather soap/conditioner from a tack shop (used for saddles??) and yes shaving foam...also brings them up in a brilliant shine. Ha ha. Other uses for household items include toothpaste as wall filler when taking picture hooks out, and beeswax to harden boots for when he was at Buckingham Palace...but that could be an entirely different post
By IrishDancer1495 Comments: 42, member since Sat Apr 03, 2010
On Sat Apr 03, 2010 06:12 PM
Oh my God thank you sooo much I get these terrible blisters from breaking my hard shoes in - I just got a new pair and they are killing me!
By Tokenfire Comments: 34, member since Thu Oct 09, 2008
On Mon Jun 21, 2010 04:06 PM
Thanks for the information
By Tokenfire Comments: 34, member since Thu Oct 09, 2008
On Mon Jun 21, 2010 04:07 PM
thanks for the information. My dd has been having a hard time breaking in a new pair of jig shoes.
By ridrpac Comments: 120, member since Mon Jun 14, 2010
On Wed Jun 30, 2010 08:55 PM
My mom bends them and ties them in rubber bands whenever I'm not using them. The backs get bendable easily and i can go en pointe easily!
By akcelticlady Comments: 52, member since Thu Jun 17, 2010
On Wed Jun 30, 2010 09:52 PM
Very informative stuff...My daughter needs her first pair of new Hardshoes and i just know there is going to be drama...lol. Thanks for this thread, it'll help me get a jump on helping her break in her shoes!
By tamh Comments: 21, member since Mon Jul 26, 2010
On Mon Jul 26, 2010 06:05 PM
I have used another product called "Dr. Glove" thatis also used on baseball gloves, but does not require any ovens!
By Abby14 Comments: 131, member since Fri Jul 30, 2010
On Fri Jul 30, 2010 08:54 AM
Thank you soooooo much!!!! I need a new pair of hardshoes so this will be very helpful!
By laq Comments: 27, member since Sun May 09, 2010
On Thu Aug 05, 2010 05:43 PM
my daughter finds the best way to break in new hard shoes is for ME to bend them back and forth for 30-40 minutes while she is in class then have me hand them to her to dance in then rubber band them bent in half.

repeat the next 2 times she needs to wear them and your good to go.

a bouns is that your arms will be in great shape when your done!
By lockedinside Comments: 15, member since Sun Jul 11, 2010
On Fri Aug 06, 2010 03:02 PM
i have to say i would disagree with most of the things that have been recommended. ive been dancing for over 10 years with at least 4 years in champs and ive never had to do any of that. if you get rutherfords you dont have to do anything but dance in them. and as for soft shoes i dont know anyone that breaks those in. i generally buy new soft shoes when i need them to be tighter. if you have to use any of these methods on soft or hard shoes, chances are they dont fit right and you shouldn't have bought them. doctors also recommend that dancers not break in their shoes especially by sticking them under a mattress.
By leaps4lifemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 182, member since Thu Aug 12, 2010
On Sun Aug 15, 2010 06:16 PM
The only way i've broken in my shoes is by wearing them around the house and it seemed to work for me!
By SaoirseCorPremium member Comments: 91, member since Fri Dec 25, 2009
On Mon Aug 16, 2010 08:44 AM
This is really helpful since we just brought back a new pair of shoes from the last feis. I thought I would mention that tucked inside one of the shoes was a note of warning about what to use when breaking in the shoes. It warned that using some products may cause damage such as the heel falling off. Please check with the shoemaker.
By celticprincessmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1076, member since Thu Aug 26, 2010
On Mon Aug 30, 2010 09:13 PM
THANK YOU!!!!!
I just got new hard shoes,so this post really helps!
By jfrenchy Comments: 48, member since Thu Aug 19, 2010
On Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:53 PM
Thank you so much for all of these tips! These are going to help me so much!
By KathyF Comments: 32, member since Tue Aug 03, 2010
On Tue Sep 28, 2010 08:20 PM
yes, i agree with under the mattress. I bend them in half and wrap the strap around them and put them under the mattress. In the morning the arch is much easier to bend.
By irishdancemum1 Comments: 25, member since Sat Oct 16, 2010
On Mon Oct 18, 2010 02:14 PM
thanks for the tips, lots to think about when my daughter gets new shoes in a few weeks, I had never heard of hotglove before, i must look out for it now!!
By celticprincessmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1076, member since Thu Aug 26, 2010
On Sun Oct 24, 2010 08:34 PM
I used Hot Glove to help break in my Fays with black soles. While it didn't work miracles, It was a little easier to wear them. Try folding them in half so the toe fits behind the heel, wraping them in elastics,and leaving them out in the sun for a few hours. The heat from the sun will help soften the leather. My teacher said you can leave them on the radiator too. Just leave them folded in the elastics whenever you aren't wearing them. It also helps if you wear your hard shoe while walking up and down the stairs a few hundred times LOL :D
By Dancer_em_2k7member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 76, member since Tue Jun 05, 2007
On Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:19 PM
ive always found that I get reaaaal bad blisters on the backs of my heels every time I get new heavies. So I get my dad to hammer the backs down so theyre soft! works for me :)
By dancerpie Comments: 2, member since Sun Jan 23, 2011
On Sun Jan 23, 2011 07:06 PM
wow!!! these work so well! thanks so much!!!
By celticmomof3 Comments: 32, member since Sun Jan 23, 2011
On Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:21 AM
Thanks for the post. This will definitely help with my new shoes.
By IrishDancer1495 Comments: 42, member since Sat Apr 03, 2010
On Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:13 AM
My friend Rachel swears by holding them over a pot of boiling water for a few minutes and then wearing them around the house for a few hours, for two reasons. One, the steam warms up the leather so that it molds to your foot. Second, she swears that holding the shoes over a pot of boiling water intimidates them into doing whatever you say...
Page:
Page 2 of 41 2 3 4

ReplySendWatch