Forum: Disco / Disco - 18+

Sportsmanship (karma: 1)
By Danztarmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jul 10, 2008 07:14 AM
Edited by Danztar (73934) on 2008-07-10 07:15:47
Edited by Danztar (73934) on 2008-07-10 07:18:24 added something

I thought this would make an interesting discussion topic. I was browsing on a social networking website earlier and saw a message from a disco dancer written to another dancer, discussing a comp she'd been to recently.
It went something like this.

Well so and so were judging so no comment. I might as well have gone home before I even started!

I just can't believe that attitude, blaming the judges and disputing their integrity because you haven't got through!
This dancer competes in Adult Champs which we all know is such a hard level, whatever happened to good sportsmanship?

This kind of thing really annoys me, in my other dancing competitions there's this girl who thinks she is going to win all the time and is just so arrogant - it starts to take the fun out of it you know?

Carly

19 Replies to Sportsmanship

re: Sportsmanship
By moomintrudemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jul 10, 2008 07:25 AM
I think thats just disgusting. The only reson you wont get through at a comp is because you didint dance as well as the other dancers (or at least the judges didnt think you did!) I once heard someone saying something similar, and took great pleasure in pointing out that they were independent judges! hahaha the look on their face!

I think dancers who expect to win or moan if they dont - even if they haven't tried - are just the worst types of dancers. if you dance rubbsh dont expect to get through, and dont moan about it!

after all - you win some you lose some! thats life!

xxMOOMxx
By KeenBeen_Nomimember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jul 10, 2008 08:09 AM
O god that is disgusting! i agree^^ the only reason you didnt get through is because the judges didnt think you were as good as the others!
my goodness adult champ as well you would think by now they would have learned its not always about winning!
i know some people who have this attitude and it just makes me so angry - like their not even grateful for any of their achievements or the fact that so many younger dancers look up to them!!

Naomi
x
By KeenBeen_Nomimember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jul 10, 2008 08:10 AM
O god that is disgusting! i agree^^ the only reason you didnt get through is because the judges didnt think you were as good as the others!
my goodness adult champ as well you would think by now they would have learned its not always about winning!
i know some people who have this attitude and it just makes me so angry - like their not even grateful for any of their achievements or the fact that so many younger dancers look up to them!!

Naomi
x
By paula4
On Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:09 AM
Edited by paula4 (151899) on 2008-07-10 11:18:36 add something
My Daughter Danni has just moved up to adult champs which is as you say a hard heat my daughter loves dancing and taking part in competitions,and seeing her friends from other school`s i personally think that it should be about the taking part and enjoying yourself. If you get through then great if you dont try next time. Paula.
On Fri Jul 11, 2008 01:39 AM
^Yes I agree, and one of the things I loved about Disco comps was meeting other people especially when they were in your section, I got to know quite a few people on the circuit I was on and it was nice! Why some people have to make it bitchy I really don't know - it's not a good example to set to the younger ones, that's what bothers me.

Thanks for your views :)
By Noodlesluke
On Fri Jul 11, 2008 01:46 AM
I agree, Very Bad Sportmanships at alot of the competitions. I don't like it at all. Not very mature
On Fri Jul 11, 2008 02:29 AM
paula4 wrote:

My Daughter Danni has just moved up to adult champs which is as you say a hard heat my daughter loves dancing and taking part in competitions,and seeing her friends from other school`s i personally think that it should be about the taking part and enjoying yourself. If you get through then great if you dont try next time. Paula.

Thats excatly how it should be! Its a hobby after all (even if it is a very competitive one!) When I was younger my mom always told me and my sister that if we ever stopped having fun or thinking of dance as a hobby we'd stop. as simple as that. She also wouldn't stand for us throwing strops about not getting through. We'd say we danced rubbish out there today, we didnt deserve to get through. she always agreed if we had! I never ever expected to get to a final, let a lone to win. if I did it was a bonus.

and like most of you have said. The best bit for me was meeting up with friends and just having fun! isn't that what its about?

xxMOOMxx
re: Sportsmanship (karma: 2)
By calandniamhmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jul 11, 2008 03:13 AM
Edited by calandniamh (183428) on 2008-07-11 03:15:19
Hi

During the couple of years that my kids were competing I heard soo many different things similar to this.

Things like, oh those judges will put each others kids
through as they are friends, and that judge didn't put
my child through as too much competition for their dancers,
hasten to add that my child did make that final so obviously
they weren't any competition!! CHARMING EH!!

Freestyle is EXTREMELY COMPETITIVE, BUT, it is a hobby
and remember it is judged on OPINIONS, and if on that
day the judges maybe missed you or thought you
weren't up to scratch then its hard luck really,
(sometimes understandably hard to take).

Judging must be such a hard thing to do when you have so many good kids and such little time to mark them and I would imagine that ADULT CHAMPS is a rock solid section as are most these days!

All I would say is try as much as you can to not get
drawn into this sort of discussion as it can be offensive if
overheard and very hurtful to others.

Sam
x
By chloedhul
On Fri Jul 11, 2008 04:04 AM
my chloe understand that you must be a good sport, she understands that you have be, she never get upset anymore if she dosent make any finals because she thinks of friends a other girls and boys that dont make the final when see does. all we tell her is to go out on the dance floor and enjoy it, been there and taking part is what it is all about. if you do make the final or even win well that a bonus. sarah x
By Jessi_gurlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jul 11, 2008 08:58 AM
Hiya,

I completly agree with where youre coming from! i have been to several comps in the past where you hear dancers complaining that the reason they didnt get in was because a judge was being biased against them. Or something sill along those lines.

Its even gone as far as some of the dancers making fun and laughing at other dancers to make themselves feel better. Which really knocks the confidence of other dancers.

I believe if you didnt make a final then no ones to blame, you may just need to try harder, or you wernt what the judges were looking for that day. I dont see the point in saying that just because a certain judge is judging i wont get in, because isnt there normally 4-5 judges anyway.

I hate seeing dancers who think they are better then everyone else and expect to win, then when they dont blame it on some one else. AT the end of the day everyone who competes it just as likley to do well as everyone else in thier section!

Lets just go back to enjoying competing and being able to dance, then expecting to win!

Jess xxx
By sammyjo
On Fri Jul 11, 2008 03:56 PM
well said sam!! :)
i get what you are getting at with this post, but why quote what someone has said- they were probably having a bad day feeling a bit sorry for themselves, i mean doesnt everyone once in a while especially when you dont get a recall all day!

i know freestyle is a hobby, i have been doing it for 12 years but everyone and i mean everyone is competitive in it, otherwise why compete? everyone wants to win even if they dont make it obvious.

some people take the sport alot more seriously then others, for some its just a hobby and for others its there life

but of course good sportsmanship gets you a long way!

hope that all makes sense and doesnt come across going against your thoughts as im not im just stating some points lol

sammy jo xxx
re: Sportsmanship (karma: 1)
On Sat Jul 12, 2008 09:36 AM
Hi Sammy Jo,

No problem, I see what you are saying :)

Of course it's competitive and we all have our moments when things haven't been going so well and maybe feel a bit down about it, but my point was this wasn't just an isolated comment. I just think that kind of attitude is wrong as it takes it away from dancers who do get through and also sets a bad example to younger ones who look up to older dancers for inspiration.
I didn't post to make any kind of trouble but it made me angry when I saw it and I thought it would make an interesting discussion.

Carly
By sammyjo
On Sat Jul 12, 2008 03:18 PM
i understand exactly what you are saying! lol
older ones definately need to set a good example from younger ones

just thought i would express it from the other side a bit! to make to discussion more interesting lol

sammy jo xxx
By amy_lou1
On Thu Jul 17, 2008 06:36 AM
I don't want to offend anybody here but I thought I would add my opinion.

I understand why the girl in question made this statement (although I agree whole heartedly it should have been kept quiet as to not set a bad example and make a show). It can sometimes be obvious that judges are bias toward certain dancers whom they know quite well (mainly at non independant comps) and it can be disheartening when you know you or other dancers in the room have danced much better.

If I don't make the final, I always watch to see what the dancers are doing differently and always admit when I am beat. It is a hobby, but it's an expensive hobby and I compete to win. If I am fairly beat I have no arguement and take it on the chin. If I feel unfairly treat, I too would voice my opinion (in a discreet mannor of course).

I hope you understand where I am coming from with this x
By groovygranmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jul 17, 2008 07:21 AM
^^^
If you know that this is happeneing and you have proof ..then it is your duty to report it as is against ethics of teaching and judgingand a judge can be struck off for it

Sometimes dancers read judges entirly wrong as you cannot know what that judge is doing or thinking and without proof that this is happening you cannot comment ...like wise if you have proof then do something about it

Mama DD's xxx
On Thu Jul 17, 2008 07:29 AM
^^ good point, the only person who knows what a judge is thinking or doing is that judge. Just becasue they might not seem like they are looking at you, that doesnt mean that they aren't.

and yes, if you know someone who is definately doing this (you must have firm evidence, and not just I didnt get through and that dancer did,eyc) then you should report them to the ADFP for them to deal with.

Chances are the well known dancers who gte through week in week out are well known for a reason - they are good dancers, work hard and perform on the floor week in week out. you dont get well known in dance without working hard and being good.

xxMOOMxx
By Kaytexmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jul 17, 2008 07:45 AM
Hmm i can half see what this could turn into...lol(please dont)

at a comp not that long ago the trophys were not to everybodys standard..(please let me finish and you will see where i am going).. 1st/2nd/3rd were okay size and standard trophys.. then from 4th to 7th they were the plastic onces.. but at the end of the day i would be gratefull to make the final!

a girl walked past me(i am not stating the age range or abilty) but she snapped her trophy in half(i think she got 4th.. maybe 5th.. i thought this was terrible!!!! she danced for that place even if it was not up to her expectations thats where she got placed THAT DAY... there will be more days and more time to practice and perfect if she feels she wants to be better..
**i just thought that it was terrible very bad sportsmanship and i had of done that i think my mom would have gone mad at me!**

now onto this judge thing..

i may read this the rong way but some people think that some teachers/judges mark there own kids..
after being told this about some judges i like to watch for myslef at comps(when i have time) as i dont just like to go on what others say..

i think that at times some judges make it look like they are just watching there kids and marking there kids.. i think that it not always the case! some judges may mark quicker than others then use the rest of the time to watch there kids or who ever else they want to watch!(you cant shoot them for that!)

not too long ago in a class at dance we were tlaking bout how judges judge ie what they look for ect.. my teacher explained it us like this:

*as soon as it starts most of the time one or two will stand out straight away...
*then after that you have to look more carefully obviously and each judge will look for something diffrent
(some like you to be fast on the beat/some like smiles peronality/flexibilty)
*she also said at times she hasnt noticed who is who even if they are from her school until they come in her face..
(ie judges watch across the floor)

i have to totaly agree with sam
Somebody wrote:

Freestyle is EXTREMELY COMPETITIVE, BUT, it is a hobby
and remember it is judged on OPINIONS, and if on that
day the judges maybe missed you or thought you
weren't up to scratch then its hard luck really,
(sometimes understandably hard to take).

i am gonna leave it there though as i have wrote enuff for today lol!

kayte xxxx
By amy_lou1
On Thu Jul 17, 2008 07:48 AM
I agree which is why I like to keep an open mind and watch anybody who gets further than me. Maybe take some tips and congratulate those who do better than me. Obviously some judges look for different styles and techniques and I have nothing against that. I just merely understand the fact that some judges are bias toward some dancers or schools.

I only commented to show both sides of the discussion, not to offend anybody. I am entitled to my opion as others are entitled opinions on my comments. I love dancing and creating problems within the industry is not what I want to do. Proof or not. I won't moan, just carry on enjoying competitions, learning new fashions and admiring the work of other dancers!!

Amy x x
On Mon Jul 21, 2008 08:29 AM
Some interesting comments and views here.
Thank you Kayte for some insight on what judges might look for.
I do understand feeling disheartened, we've probably all been there at some point. In fact, at a comp earlier this year, there were 8 dancers to start with in the Over 18 Champ section. They were meant to bring back 5 for the final I think and they brought back 7! I was the only dancer not to get through and I felt really upset by that - I think it was the one time I've ever been brought to tears at a comp because I just felt so embarrased! It made me feel really down but I didn't go around saying they were biased against me or whatever - just had to take it on the chin but I was gutted - has that ever happened to anyone else? Pretty harsh! Going back to the topic, I just think it's a real shame when certain dancers are just really arrogant and expect to win or do well - I've seen it happen. Like the look on their face if they don't get through or do as well as they hoped, or the comment 'I don't mind not getting through/winning if the dancers are better than me but they are not'. Yes I've heard that one - imagine how that would make you feel if you were the dancer they were referring to?!
Yes, of course it is a competitive hobby and of course everyone wants to do well as that's what it's all about - but there's a line. You win some and you lose some - I think that's a good lesson for anyone to learn.

ReplySendWatch