Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Professionals

Jazz - Professionals
what do these leaps mean?
By redfury Comments: 1, member since Sat Jul 12, 2008
On Sat Jul 12, 2008 02:12 PM

under the dance team requirements for my school is says "barrel leaps and surprise leaps".. what are those?

11 Replies to what do these leaps mean?

re: what do these leaps mean?
By Franticanticsmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 173, member since Sat May 24, 2008
On Mon Jul 14, 2008 02:11 AM
Well, i know a barrel leap to be like a jete lanses (turning leap)
But both legs are in attitude, your arms are on a diagonal and your back arched

an example of this is around 1.10 in
uk.youtube.com . . .

as to suprise leaps...i've no idea
xxx
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Mon Jul 14, 2008 04:10 AM
^That's not a barrel leap - it's a calypso. When you do a barrel leap, your torso should be completely parallel with the ground, and the axis of rotation should be perpendicular to the direction you're traveling.
By Franticanticsmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 173, member since Sat May 24, 2008
On Mon Jul 14, 2008 04:44 AM
Yes it is a barrel leap.
BOTH legs in attitude.
Also, i said 'Iknow it to be'
different countries different terminology.
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Mon Jul 14, 2008 02:48 PM
I don't know whether you're blind or just on crack. But his front leg is straight.

But the legs don't matter anyway because you can do a barrel leap with any kind of legs - not just attitudes. What makes it a barrel leap isn't the legs - it's the pitch of the torso. In a barrel leap, the torso should be parallel to the ground (usually with a FLAT back), and the leap does not usually make a big arc like that one.
By Ic3ang3lmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 116, member since Thu Feb 09, 2006
On Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:25 PM
surprise leaps are like forward jetes...
chasse forward (facing the side) step on your left foot, then when you leap, switch directions to face the front, (right foot in front)
By bedaZzlemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1733, member since Sun Nov 12, 2000
On Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:24 PM
Here is an example of barrel turns.. We call them turns instead of leaps but I believe it is the same thing. It is common to see both legs in attitude, but this dancer does several variations of the barrel turn.
www.youtube.com . . .

I agree with lc3 about the surprise leaps. It is when you chasse as if you're going to do a normal jete (for example, chasse step jete traveling stage right).. then instead of doing the jump as you normally would you change and jump from your prep to face a different direction, usually a 90 degree turn from where it would normally be. In our example, for instance, you would do chasse step traveling stage right, then from the step you would do the lean facing downstage. Reverse jetes are a form of surprise jete where the leap is 180 degrees from where it would normally be.

Hope this helps and makes senese,
Stacey :)
By lovetoriff Comments: 113, member since Tue Aug 07, 2007
On Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:19 AM
If I am reading the posts correctly then the "surprise" leap is what we refer to as a Center Leap. We also have always referred to barrel leaps as barrel rolls....often taught by rolling over a partners back until you get the hang of it and catch enough air...lol.
By createthedance Comments: 26, member since Tue Jul 22, 2008
On Thu Jul 31, 2008 05:47 PM
Barrel leaps are turning leaps where both legs are in attitude and your bak is almost parallel to the floor

Surprise leaps are when you start doing a jete one way and rotate your hip 180 degrees so you end in a jete facing where you came from

one of my classes recently learned both of these =]
By ballet_rox_sox Comments: 428, member since Sun Jan 20, 2008
On Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:23 AM
panic wrote:

I don't know whether you're blind or just on crack. But his front leg is straight.
one.

Sorry but that is an awful thing to say! It was an "example"!
By barbeedancer Comments: 29, member since Thu Jun 26, 2003
On Fri Sep 12, 2008 06:46 PM
From my point of view, this is a calypso leap. Right stamp turn...right leg fans up and out as the left jumps into back attitude while arching the back, it is a jete (a leap).
By dancerforever123 Comments: 29, member since Fri Oct 17, 2008
On Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:52 AM
what some people are calling the barrel leap with te both legs in attitube, we call a double attitude where we are turning at the same time

ReplySendWatch