Forum: Guard / Color Guard

A Question About Left-handed Rifle Spins...
By Red_slippers2009
On Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:04 AM

I've been in color guard for two years, going on my third year now and I'm just starting a weapon for this season's show. We're using sabers in the actual show, but because most of our guard is so green, our coach decided to start us on rifles because they're easier to control and don't hurt as much as a saber does when you catch a toss or halt.

I was curious as to what a left spin with a rifle is supposed to look like, or even how you do one properly. My coach said that the nose is always pointing to the left and that when you do left spins on a rifle, your fulcrum's at the barrel, close to the bolt. When I looked for videos online to refresh my memory as to what they should look like when done properly, I was surprised to find that the teacher in the video (who apparently is an expert trainer and choreographer that specializes in guard) didn't have the nose pointing to the left at all times. In fact, when she did her left spins, she had switched the rifle around so that the nose was pointing in the opposite direction and her fulcrum at all times was the neck of the rifle. I'm a little confused as to what's the right way to tackle my left spins. I kind of want to clear it up before I set in some seriously bad habits.

Any advice or tips?

3 Replies to A Question About Left-handed Rifle Spins...

re: A Question About Left-handed Rifle Spins...
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jul 14, 2008 02:57 PM
The rifle GENERALLY stays pointing to the left. There is no rule that says you CAN'T turn it around like a saber, but it's usually not done. Yes, your instructor is correct. You should spin just in front of the bolt. And if you're doing slower spins, it helps to spin slightly closer to the tip.
By Colombian89
On Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:51 AM
i was first taught just like the video you mentioned. Our instructor is one of the movement directors of code black world. When I got to independent guard though I had to learn the other way. Most guards I have seen spin left handed rifle spins with the nose of the rifle on the left though.
By Red_slippers2009
On Tue Jul 15, 2008 01:14 PM
Thank-you for clearing that up for me. I really appreciate it.

ReplySendWatch