Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Beginners

Jazz - Beginners
Russians
By iTz_iN_My_sOuL Comments: 13, member since Wed Jul 09, 2008
On Thu Jul 17, 2008 05:29 AM

I was wondering to inprove russians someone told me to "cheat" and sit in them in the air (suck my bum under) then someone else told me thats not good technique and I shouldn't start with bad habbits. So what do you guys suggest?

6 Replies to Russians

re: Russians
By PointeDancer07 Comments: 66, member since Wed Jul 26, 2006
On Sat Jul 19, 2008 07:16 AM
sitting into your russians helps a lot when you firs start but i wouldnt suggest it . If it helps you though, just make sure you dont get used to doing them that way. also practicing your middle /straddle splits helps. when you are doing the russian its self just concentrate on going higher in the air . when you find a good plie possition then foccus on getting your legs higher.

byeeas
By Polestar Comments: 427, member since Sun Mar 16, 2008
On Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:53 AM
Sorry... what are Russians?? (I'm starting Jazz after the holidays, so I've got no idea and Google or Youtube didn't help me eighter)
By Dancing_cutie05member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 250, member since Sun Feb 18, 2007
On Wed Jul 23, 2008 05:54 PM
just practice,practice and practice. I would try to do a russian like 20 times everyday until I got it. Then I just kept practicing and kept improving. Whe you do it, developpe your leg and then quickly throw the other leg up. Don't think "travel" think "up".

Comment #7408256 deleted
Removed by oz_helen (35388) on 2008-07-30 04:14:11 Why are you shouting random words? Typing LIKE this IS annoying and MAKES your posts hard TO read.

By sabrinaadancee Comments: 4, member since Mon Aug 18, 2008
On Sat Aug 23, 2008 09:25 PM
hi I am also trying to work on my russians and I was just wondering what you meant by devlopeing your leg?
By DDCdancerx Comments: 300, member since Sat Jul 12, 2008
On Sun Aug 24, 2008 06:47 AM
By developpe, she means that you have to first bring up the leg that is going to be traveling out first, lets just say its the right, and have the knee/thigh up first, then kick out the calf/foot. Then you are trying to kick up the other leg after the developpe to have a Russian down. Splits are necessary to perform this, and if you don't have your middle split down, you probably won't be able to do a Russian. (How your legs look on the floor is how they will look in the air.)

ReplySendWatch