Priority Teaching Jobs

Forum: Irish / Irish

Irish
How do you build a dance floor? en>fr fr>en
By TuniePremium member Comments: 1901, member since Mon Aug 08, 2005
On Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:56 PM

I'm attempting to find a way to practice at home. The best option is looking like building a little floor in the living room. The sprung wood kind, like you would see at a feis. Only mine would only be about 4 ft. x 4 ft.

One question before I get too carried away: Can these be put over carpet? I was looking at Jubilee Floors, and they can't be (not easily anyway) so I ruled that out.

I'm sure posts have already been made on this, but I have no idea where to even begin looking. If someone could point me in the right direction, that would be really helpful.

Thanks everyone :).

18 Replies to How do you build a dance floor?

re: How do you build a dance floor? en>fr fr>en
By ReddishRocksmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 99, member since Sun May 25, 2008
On Fri Jul 18, 2008 01:41 PM
Edited by ReddishRocks (196725) on 2008-07-18 13:51:13
Yep! This is definitely a frequently asked question. :) Here's the oft-given link to building your own floor:

zandb.blogspot.com . . .

I used these directions to build mine and I love it! :)

Edited to add that building this particular floor on carpet shouldn't be a huge deal except that at only 4 feet by 4 feet, you might have problems with rebound of the floor as you dance. I mean that it might move around as the impact of your body pushes at it. That and you'll probably beat up your carpet pretty good. ;) Hope it's not expensive!
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4008, member since Sat Feb 03, 2007
On Fri Jul 18, 2008 02:18 PM
I don't know that it would move/bounce much. There is definately some weight to it, even if it was only 4x4.
By ReddishRocksmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 99, member since Sun May 25, 2008
On Fri Jul 18, 2008 05:17 PM
I suppose it'll depend on your carpet. :) If it's thicker, then no, I don't think it'll move. If it's apartment carpeting... and you're aggressive... then it might. ;)

Truly though, mine is 8 x 8 and it isn't going anywhere! But it's also on concrete. I suppose if it did wiggle or slide, you could put a layer of that rug-stay-put liner material down (sorry, can't think of what it's called!).
By wildwoodflowermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 829, member since Sun Nov 04, 2007
On Fri Jul 18, 2008 06:25 PM
I lay a piece of wood with carpet glued to the bottom on my carpet and it doesn't move at all, although it did have some wiggle before I glued on the carpet. Granted it was just a sheet of light plywood, not nearly as heavy as the Z&B floor.
By treblejiggernaut Comments: 1301, member since Sun Dec 02, 2007
On Fri Jul 18, 2008 09:37 PM
I have been thinking of doing something similar, but my question is how do you make it look nice? If you build the dance floor in a living room or guest room or family room, what can you do so that it looks more presentable? Wish we had basements in CA but we don't, so we will have to build it elsewhere. Any ideas would be appreciated.
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4008, member since Sat Feb 03, 2007
On Sat Jul 19, 2008 08:12 AM
Ours is in our basement, so it is not in the main part of the house, but what we do is this: we have a large carpet remnant that is cut to the exact size of the dance floor. We roll it up (and off the edge of the floor - ZandB's floor is slightly raised) and then we unroll it when we are done. If you had the right sized remnant, it is possible to get the edges finished so it doesn't look as "casual"

We do have furniture strategically placed at the one "exposed" corner of the raised floor so we don't break our toe by smashing into the edge of it!
On Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:01 PM
^ That's a really great idea, using a carpet! Maybe you could even get a rug or something that would work well over it.

If money's not a big deal (ha!), you could cover it with hardwood floor tiles. They also make edging / framing for floors. My floor is actually a re-purposed portable chess board that my father made for his "life-size" chess pieces. It's been a really nice solution.
By treblejiggernaut Comments: 1301, member since Sun Dec 02, 2007
On Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:42 PM
Hop_123 and ReddishRocks I love both your ideas. I need to go and check at HomeDepot and see what will work best after we build the floor. Who knows when that will happen LOL!! I kind of want to have an idea to what I put on top before we build so that it will help us figure the cost and what we can afford to make the whole think workable and nice. Thanks for your ideas!!
On Mon Jul 21, 2008 05:51 PM
Ok, so those of you who have already built a floor, how big was it and how much did it cost?
On Mon Jul 21, 2008 07:51 PM
Edited by Hop_123 (173279) on 2008-07-21 19:53:12
Edited by Hop_123 (173279) on 2008-07-21 19:53:38
We used the ZandB plans (in fact, the photos in his instructions are of our dance floor). It is 12 ft x 16 ft. It cost $328 USD in January of this year.

The breakdown was this:
$220 -wood/oriented strand board
$12 -construction glue
$84 -exercise mats for the padding
$12 -glue to attach mat strips to wood

We figure it is well worth it. Both my dtr and I dance on it. It is saving us from getting shin splints on our concrete basement floor, it makes a great sound, and we are not leaving marks on our regular floor.

It's awesome to dance on! We love it.
By hornpiper08 Comments: 92, member since Sun Feb 12, 2006
On Mon Jul 21, 2008 09:53 PM
I have a 5' x 8' piece of plywood that i lay, as is, on my carpeted bedroom floor. It doesn't move at all, and the carpet gives it just enough spring.

I spent about $25 total on it, and it was a wonderful investment.

The 3' x6' mirror and 12' barre were a bit pricier however, but, ultimately, I gave up half of my bedroom and a birthday present to have my own miniature dance studio.

Good Choice, I say.
:)
By dancingsmurf Comments: 95, member since Thu Jan 10, 2008
On Tue Jul 22, 2008 02:06 PM
I like the thought of the Z&B floor but it just wouldn't work in my limited apartment space with roommates. Instead, I used the laminate snap together floors (similar to this: www.lowes.com . . .) I just got the cheapest kind they had at the store, around $25 and put it over exercise mats (2 taped togeter). The floor works out to about 5'X5' and can be unsnapped when I'm done and the mat gets rolled up- takes maybe 5-10 min to put together and under 2 min to take apart, and can be leaned up against the wall out of the way. If my roommates know I have a feis coming up I can get away with leaving it up for a few days, great for hardshoes, but not quite sprung enough for good softshoe practice.
On Wed Jul 23, 2008 09:35 PM
$328?! OMG! I'm never going to get a dance floor if it's that expensive :(.
By Cinnawiz Comments: 3126, member since Tue Jan 03, 2006
On Thu Jul 24, 2008 06:22 AM
Actually, for that size of a floor, I think that's pretty good price. Thanks, hop, it's good to have an idea of the pricing.

I'm going to build one in my new house.
On Fri Jul 25, 2008 06:32 PM
I'm not saying it's not a good price. I'm saying it's a lot of money. Money I don't have. The most I could probably swing right now is about $100.
By smileywomanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10998, member since Sat Sep 17, 2005
On Fri Jul 25, 2008 06:53 PM
plywood on carpet works very well. I created my first dance floor at home that way.
On Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:19 AM
Before we got our awesome dance floor, a piece of 4x8 plywood was what we had too. Worked fine for years. I suggest going with the slightly more expensive, thicker plywood. When we had the thinner stuff, it flexed too much on the carpet and the sound wasn't as good. When we got the thicker piece it was much better. It might have been as thick as 3/4".
On Sun Jul 27, 2008 02:32 PM
I currently have a piece of plywood over carpet. It's just not cutting it for me. I need something springier. I've been having a lot of problems with my ankles, I need to dance on a proper floor.

ReplySendWatch