Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Competitions

Spotlight Dance Cup
By DizzyLizzie
On Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:09 AM

I was wondering what everyone thought about the Spotlight competition.

I have been going to this competition for about 4 years and their nationals for 4 years also. I really do not like it personally. The judging has gone down hill since the first time I went, and the staff treats the smaller studios very different from the larger ones.

I was just wondering if anyone esle felt the same way or has an opinion about it.

8 Replies to Spotlight Dance Cup

re: Spotlight Dance Cup
By AsPiRex333
On Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:17 AM
I've only been there twice I think so I haven't really noticed anything like that. If I remember right though, that's the competition that gives out "Diamonds" and "Rubys" instead of Platinums and Golds, right? I don't really like that. It's kind of confusing =/
By KCDanceparent
On Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:06 AM
Showbiz is the comp that gives out Diamonds and Ruby's. They are our favorite comp. We went to Spotlight this year for the 1st time. Although we did really well, our studio did not like the comp and will likely not go back. Without getting into much detail, there were some things that that went on with the comp that were disappointing.
By Dancer11C
On Sat Jul 26, 2008 09:02 PM
Personally, I love Spotlight! At our regionals it was so well run and organized! The judging, I felt, was fair. And I love all of the creative awards they have. It really made our team feel like we were recognized for our hard work.
By dancerocks9
On Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:03 AM
My Studio is an itty bitty stuido of about 100. There are about 14 of us on the team. This is the first year we did competitions. I didn't go to that one I had national history day but our studio got ruby is that good? We also got a plaque with our teachers name on it. I wasn't there so I'm not sure hhow we were treated.
By AsPiRex333
On Sat Aug 16, 2008 07:53 PM
When I went to Spotlight they gave Diamonds, Rubies, and Emeralds. For Showbiz, Diamond and Ruby are the different divisions for nationals. You have to qualify to be in the Diamond league. (Like how Hall of Fame has American and National) I went to Showbiz nationals this year with my company.
By DizzyLizzie
On Wed Aug 20, 2008 03:59 PM
Dancerocks9-Yes, a ruby is good:-)
They do give plaques to every studio, and it has all of the group routines on it and a stone(fake of course) of what the routines recieved. That is the only thing that I like about this competition.

My studio is not very big I would say about 30 people max. The staff just treats us like we don't matter, like they can always get other studios to take our spot.

At regionals last year(2007), one of our dancers shared an elevator with the judeges and they talked about routines and dancers that they did not like. If you are going to discuss something like that do not do it in front of a dancer that is competing.

It just is frustrating how a competition that started out good has gone down hill.
By DanceEnthusiast2
On Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:15 AM
Hi...

I know this thread is 11 years old but I had to add something to it, by 2019 nothing has changed.

Just recently my dancer competed at one of their competitions, and is was more than obvious that the "awards" are fixed. By no means am I saying that my dancer is better than the competition, but, after competing at 10 competitions over the past 3 months, where my dancer placed 5th overall at the worst, came home with overall high score, received perfect overall score in her age group, Spotlight did hand her a Diamond award, but no placement what-so-ever.
First we thought, "Ok, wasn't her best day." But when we reviewed the program to see how many dancers competed at her age (award) level, it became apparent, that the awards ARE 'fixed". Out of the 13 competitors in her age group, 10 belonged to 2 dance studios, that had numerous entries that weekend, and guess what - these 10 (out the 13) got "high scores", "top category placements", "judges awards"... What else are we left to think than "Fixed Competitions"... there are also some reviews on FB supporting our theory... I guess we'll be looking at other, more objective options for the years to come.
By Bratbyt
On Tue Apr 16, 2019 03:00 AM
Edited by Bratbyt (324507) on 2019-04-16 03:00:54
Thanks for the topic. I was just looking for an answer. It also helps me essaysource.com to solve issues related to education. I am pleased with the service.

ReplySendWatch