Forum: General / Tap / Tap

What is the hardest tap step?
By Tappercise
On Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:23 AM

What do you consider the hardest tap step you have ever learned, tried to learn, taught, or tried to teach? If you use a name that most people are not familiar, such as a Slurp, please describe the step.

16 Replies to What is the hardest tap step?

re: What is the hardest tap step?
By PureTapPremium member
On Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:21 AM
My hardest tap step is related to timing, rather than the step itself. In my beginner class, we were taught a R Treble Ball Change Shuffle R Treble. It is meant to be done fast and I can do it fast but, as the others in my group are a still a bit more beginner than me, our teacher has slowed it right down to a third time and it doesn't really fit with the music.

Throws me out every time when the step comes up!

She's given me the okay to do it in the real time (fast), but I'm conscience of the other two, so I try to do the slow one and end up messing it up each time.
By my0nlyhope
On Fri Jul 25, 2008 06:12 AM
I've been tapping my entire life, but there is one step I've never been able to get. All my friends can do it, but I think it's really hard.

I'm sure you know what wings are. What the step is, is that you normally do your wings, but on one foot. It's hard because you have less force to push off with and you have to get all three sounds in (the brush out, the pull in, and the toe at the end).
By Tap_Dance_Kid
On Fri Jul 25, 2008 09:15 AM
Wings...PERIOD. No IF's AND's or BUT's about it! I AM RECHID AT WINGS! I can do toe stand tricks and 6 count pull backs until I am blue in the face...but ANY type if wing throws me through a loop!

I can explain them clearly to my students, but I cannot for the life of me pull them off correctly!!

I think this might turn into a rant thread LoL!!
By imadanseurPremium member
On Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:52 AM
That is a hard question. I think the hardest step for my students to consistently do are "shiggy bops" It's really easy to muffle the sounds or not make all of them. I think teaching them to relax their feet enough for triple pullbacks or 6 count pullbacks are hard also.

Me personally I found doing a funky version of a wing time step my teacher taught me quite challenging.
By Gumbydancer
On Sat Jul 26, 2008 07:33 PM
This might not count since it's not just one a step but, I don't have trouble with wings or anything what I can't get is the soft shoe routine. You know the Tea for Two one? I can do it slow but can not do it fast no matter how many time I go through it.

Comment #7419857 deleted
Removed by oz_helen (35388) on 2008-07-30 04:10:41 Why are you shouting random words? Typing LIKE this IS annoying and MAKES your posts hard TO read.

By dadcdancer
On Tue Jul 29, 2008 03:37 PM
I think the hardest tap step is grab offs its like step shuffle then like a pull back on one foot then switch I don't know why but i just can't do them !!

but i can do wings :)
By dance27
On Thu Jul 31, 2008 01:33 AM
I absolutely cannot do one-footed wings. I look like a fish out of water, using my arms and winging my other foot at the same time. One of my choreographers tried everything to keep the rest of my body still- hands behind my back, resting foot in coupe, but nothing worked, I just have to mimic with the rest of my body or I can't get off the ground! When I was young I used to mirror my feet with my hands (ie right shuffle, I would shuffle my right hand as well, pullback, there go my hands...) and while I got over that, I just lose it with wings on one foot.
By Taphead25Premium member
On Fri Aug 01, 2008 06:34 AM
SINGLE WINGS!, at least if you're a 200 lb guy. Practice; practice, practice...and you will learn the little gravity cheaters that finally give your toes time to brush-tap while you're in the air. It's a lot like learning to ride a bicycle...one day it just happens and it sounds right.
By Rubberband17member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Aug 04, 2008 09:52 AM
Since I'm going into a more advanced class (this will be my 3rd year tapping) I'm sure things will get a lot harder, since I'm a late starter and I'll be with girls that have tapped their whole life. But right now, I totally, 100% agree with my0nlyhope. The hardest step for me is by far one footed wings. I just can't get all 3 sounds in! But wings on 2 feet took me 6 months to gets, so I knew I'd have problems with 1 footed wings. Also pick ups, where you hop backwards and brush back in the air then land. (Its 3 sounds.) I've been working on these forever, but I only get them half of the time. Great thread!
By miraclefrmheavnmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Aug 04, 2008 06:50 PM
Oooh, this is my first post in the tap forum. I used to do ballet, tap, pointe, and jazz. In tap, I feel the worst steps for me were pickups and wings. I absolutely hated them at first, however, one foot items were the worst. - ISH!
By ShirleyTemple
On Mon Aug 04, 2008 09:24 PM
double pickups. I just cant do them

I can do wings though (which makes everyone in my class amd hehe)
By dancerocks9
On Sat Aug 16, 2008 03:28 PM
This is my fifth year of tap and this year I learned Cincinatis (is that spelled right?) and for the life of me I can absolutely not even start to comprehend them.
By superSTaR312
On Sun Aug 17, 2008 04:05 PM
One footed wings to a toe stand. Basically instead of coming down when you finish the brush out and brush in, you land on your toe. This is done in place of the third sound. This is by far my hardest step. I can do them with two feet and hit all three sounds but when we move on to one foot it is always a bit more difficult.
By edancer71
On Mon Aug 18, 2008 08:41 PM
Triple wings

It's a double wing with an extra sound on the way in.

Double
sound 1 - outward brush both feet AST
sound 2 - inward brush both feet AST
sound 3 - jump feet together

Triple
sound 1 - outward brush both feet AST
sound 2 - inward brush both feet AST
sound 3 - inward brush both feet AST
sound 4 - jump feet together

When you do it, it feels like two nerve taps on the way in, because you have to stay airborne.
By DancingDiva123
On Thu Sep 17, 2020 08:50 AM
I just started tap a year ago, and wings and pickups are the hardest for me!

ReplySendWatch