Forum: Advice / Modeling & Pageantry

Local Miss America Preliminary
By nwtwirlchick09
On Tue Jul 29, 2008 07:09 PM

So I'm thinking about entering a local preliminary for Miss America (ohio!). I've been dreaming of becoming Miss America for forever.
I have never competed in the system before and it will be my third pageant. (The other two were an annual local festival pageant, this past year i did amazing, but unfortunatly didn't place, finds out it was rigged. hahhh.) The pageant is on November 1st. I dont know if i should enter or not. Im a senior in high school and i still have my braces. blehh. Should I hold off and wait? Should i go for it? Any advice?

12 Replies to Local Miss America Preliminary

re: Local Miss America Preliminary
By Dancensations02
On Tue Jul 29, 2008 08:33 PM
DO IT!! The Miss America System is WONDEFUL... however, it can take a few pageants to really understand "the ropes" so although it is not probable you will win your first pageant... you will gain SO much expierence from it!

I competed in MAO for years and loved every pageant... please PM me if you have any questions... since i have aged out i now coach girls for outstanding teen and MAO :)

Comment #7420600 deleted
Removed by Lirit (28370) on 2008-09-10 15:19:30 double post

By fdlgirl_002member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jul 30, 2008 08:21 AM
I am a crossover from USA to America and I love MAO. I ended up competing in four locals last year and gained so much experience and insight into a whole new world of pageantry. MAO gave me the opportunity to attend the private college that I wanted because of the amazing scholarship I received. And like ^^ said, it will take a few pagents to get the hang of it. I posted a thread with some pictures of one of the locals I did and there's also a sticky on the top of the page that has some good information. If you have any questions PM me and I can definitely help you out. Good luck!!
By ballerina_ali
On Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:44 AM
Why not? What's the worst thing that can happen? You don't place, right? That's really not all that bad, and especially if it's something you really really want. How did you find out the contest was rigged?
By nwtwirlchick09
On Thu Jul 31, 2008 06:30 PM
no im just worried im gonna make a fool out of myself :/

i found out through the dance production teacher and the year befores queen. the guy who calculated the scores was the directors husband. the director hates me for no reason at all i might add. i have been nothing but nice and respectful to her.

im friends with the queen and she helped me a lot with my communication skills, modelling, and interview and such. i rocked pageant night in all aspects of the competition, but whatever.
im over it now.
By divamom1
On Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:02 PM
You should absoulutley do it! You will not regret it, and you will gain so much from the experience. You will make friends and network like crazy! You will learn alot about yourself and how you interact with others.
Yes, It is in your best interest to have a pageant coach and yes, especially for the locals. There can be a big difference between the local and state pageant judges. So your pageant coach will help get you focused.
So,GO FOR IT! Good luck and Please tell us later on how you did
DM
By twirlgirl366
On Wed Aug 20, 2008 09:08 AM
Definitely do it. I started in the Miss America Outstanding Teen organization this year, and I absolutely love it. I have met so many friends and gained so much experience, as well as growth. The community service you do really teaches you something, and I couldn't be happier with all my accomplishments this year in the system.
Now, from your screen name, it sounds like you are a twirler. Is that what you are doing for your talent? If you are, you don't need to make it complicated. Use some fast showy music and do as much dance/ flirting with the audience as you do twirling. And in interview, value the importance of a question before you answer it- not every question needs a long explination. You don't want to seem like you are rambling. The most important thing to do is hold your shoulders back and feel confident, because if you feel it, you will look it. And don't forget to look at the judges A LOT. Most likely the pageant will be on a stage so you will have to look down, but still hold your shoulders back and keep your eyes friendly.
Don't hesitate to PM me if you have any questions and Good luck!!
By divamom1
On Mon Sep 08, 2008 09:01 AM
I just re-read the thread and I hope you are still planning on competing. Don't let your braces stop you! After all, they are part of who you are right now, and there is nothing wrong with that. Perhaps you could intergrate dental hygiene into your platform? Best Wishes to you.
DM
By LAFestivalQueen
On Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:28 PM
I definitely think you should enter the pageant. I am a former contestant in the Miss America system and I gained so much experience that I would have never gained else where. I also won pageant when I had braces on. My mom and I direct a local prelim to Miss America here in Louisiana and we absolutely love the benefits of the America system. You should really consider entering because you have nothing to lose.
By dancinqt5013member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Oct 03, 2008 03:18 PM
I say go for it! Miss America is a wonderful pageant. My cousin competed for Miss Maryland and it's true that you have to do it a few times before you win. The top five usually consists of 4 people from last year's competition and one new girl, sometimes two if one of the top 5 from last year got too old or something. My cousin was 4th runner up her first time and everyone just moved up year after year. But do you want to know the ironic thing? My cousin's last year competing she was in the top two with this cheerleader looking girl who "overcame skin cancer" (fron tanning beds, maybe, seeing as she's a pageant girl) and it was her first time competing, and guess who won? So that was a bit of a heartbreak for her. Either way, now she's Cinderella on Disney cruises, and she puts it on her resume. It's a great competition. You should definately do it.
By Dancensations02
On Fri Oct 03, 2008 07:00 PM
Awww Man... i wish your cousin would have won.... that "cheerleader" is very unfriendly :)
By nwtwirlchick09
On Fri Nov 07, 2008 03:53 PM
wow thanks so much everyone for your support

I decided to wait a year before I compete so I can prepare my platform and focus on getting into a college right now.

ReplySendWatch