Priority Dresses & Costumes

Forum: Advice / Emergency

Emergency
younger sister passed out + wet her pants...urgent en>fr fr>en
By allegro13 Comments: 997, member since Tue Oct 10, 2006
On Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:10 AM
Locked by allegro13 (168229) on 2008-08-09 07:03:06 she's better, we have our answer...thanks!

Today at the dentist, my younger sister (age 7) had to have a tooth pulled. They put a numbing cream on it, pulled it, and she seemed fine. Then, about ten minutes later, she passed out cold and wet her pants. We're worried because she seemed to have "lost control." She was white and ghost and blacked out totally. When she came to, she knew where she was, what had happened, etc. She is going to the doctor as soon as possible, but I'm worried sick, and am looking for any idea of what this could be/what caused this. If anyone has any ideas or thoughts, please respond!

*Right now she is laying and talking normally. Still a little pale, but looks better. My mom thinks she passed out because of the tooth thing, it's mainly the wetting of the pants that we're most concerned about.

17 Replies to younger sister passed out + wet her pants...urgent

re: younger sister passed out + wet her pants...urgent en>fr fr>en
By SOADftwmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2654, member since Mon Aug 20, 2007
On Mon Aug 04, 2008 01:23 PM
Sometimes it's a little scary to have something like that done. Was this the first time she got her tooth pulled? Did she see any blood? Has she seen blood before? There's a phobia of blood where people pass out, although I think by the age of 7 you would have discovered that in her before.

Maybe she had to pee really bad and was holding it the entire time. When you go unconscious you can't really control your body functions, especially if you have a full bladder.

Personally, I can't stand seeing when gross stuff happens to me. For example, one of my ear piercings got infected and I squeezed out bloody puss. I had to lay on the floor with my feet elevated because I was so close to passing out. I'm fine seeing gross stuff on other people though, doesn't bother me at all. I just can't handle when gross stuff happens to me. Has your sister had anything gross like that happen to her before?
By KayEllePremium member Comments: 4505, member since Sat Jul 16, 2005
On Mon Aug 04, 2008 01:54 PM
This might be totally off in left field, but that sounded like a seizure to me. I work with kids who are prone to seizures, and they come in about a million different forms (ie. they're not all the twitchy, flailing on the floor kind). I've seen kids have seizures where all they do is stare off into space for about thirty seconds, and then vomit. Or just stare off into space! Or pass out and vomit or wet their pants. Or, occasionally, have an absence seizure and then, while they're recovering, have a full tonic-clonic seizure followed by loss of control of their bladder or bowels or whatever. But it's great to hear she's going to the doctor ASAP. Maybe bring that up as a possibility? It's probably not likely but worth looking at.
By adageacemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3982, member since Thu Sep 01, 2005
On Mon Aug 04, 2008 03:47 PM
^ Right. One of my friends has just discovered that her son is prone to infant febrile seizures. And not the shaking kind, the "not breathing and doesn't seem to be there" kind.

The fact that it happened ten minutes after the tooth was pulled is making me think that it's maybe more likely to be a reaction to the local anasthetic than a blood phobia or anything. If she had passed out from seeing the blood, it would have been right away, I'd have thought. It's happened to me once before.

Hope she's ok and that your doctor gets to the bottom of it.
By ScotchGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5323, member since Fri Jan 24, 2003
On Mon Aug 04, 2008 05:54 PM
Usually, doctor's offices have a nurse on call that could answer questions like these. I would call them and ask if this kind of thing is anything to worry about. It could be anything from, like the others said, blood phobia...to maybe a allergic reaction to the cream they used. Whatever it was, it's good to get checked just in case.
On Mon Aug 04, 2008 06:04 PM
It's too late for me to edit, but I just remembered more. Seizures can occur as a result of a reaction to a drug (apparently this happens to anesthesia more often than you'd think), and stress can be a trigger too.

Anyway, all this is just speculation, and your doctor will be able to tell you much more than we can!
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16117, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Mon Aug 04, 2008 06:09 PM
Edited by kandykane (157761) on 2008-08-04 18:10:12
Did she have any other anesthesia? She may have had a bad reaction to whatever they used. Mom needs to find out what they used, so she can tell the doctor. It doesn't really sound like a true 'seizure', to me. More like a faint. My sister is a fainter.

kk~
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 6829, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Mon Aug 04, 2008 06:37 PM
she could have had a panic attack and passed out. This happened to me while I was getting teeth pulled and was being put to sleep for it but I have a needle phobia and passed out before I got the anestesia. I've also passed out at other doctors before and vomitted after mostly because it was so scary. you can't control functions like that when you pass out
By dance27 Comments: 224, member since Sun Sep 10, 2006
On Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:35 AM
KayElle, my first thought was seizure too; atonic seizures typically present with a loss of motor control and loss of consciousness without the "shaking" movements people typically think of when they hear seizure. I'm not sure if this is a typical reaction to anesthesia, however, and people who experience seizures generally are not completely alert and oriented after an episode, as your sister was. There is a good possibility that she simply fainted, simply as a physical reaction to stress (many people faint after getting injections or having blood drawn) or from standing after being in a dentist's chair for so long- while it is uncommon, it is not unheard of for people to wet their pants during a seizure (especially children). In any case, I don't pretend to be an expert on these things and the best thing for her is to see a doctor and make sure she explains the situation completely. Best of luck to you both!
By BooPopsmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 960, member since Thu Aug 16, 2007
On Tue Aug 05, 2008 01:12 PM
When I was younger, I used to faint roughly twice a year. One time, a couple of minutes after I had fainted, I wet myself. I was absolutely fine and I was told by a doctor that it just happens when you faint. You can also be sick. I felt fine and nothing else was said about it. Don't panic!

Best to check with a doctor though, just to be safe!
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11510, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Tue Aug 05, 2008 01:17 PM
^It's not a typical reaction to anesthesia. More likely, she had low blood sugar and simply fainted (had a seizure - same thing). It used to happen to me when I was in my teens, and it's really common for teenagers to have mild seizures - especially when experiencing physical trauma (like having a tooth extracted). Your sister probably could have prevented this episode by having a glass of orange juice (or a candy bar) before her tooth was pulled. Her dentist should have explained that to her. If I had to guess, her doctor will say it's no big deal unless it happens again. If it happens again, she'll get an EEG (which is completely painless), and everyone will discuss whether or not she should start taking anti-seizure medication (which is very effective but has some fairly serious side-effects). But the bottom line is that adolescent seizures are almost always harmless (unless she falls and hits her head), and she will probably outgrow them. It's good that she's consulting a doctor - just to make sure it's nothing serious - but you really have nothing to worry about. It's very common, and it's probably not something she'll have to deal with for the rest of her life.
On Tue Aug 05, 2008 01:20 PM
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. My sister feels fine today, but is going to have lab tests done ASAP. They are testing her for seizures, being anemic (sp?) and diabetes. She's passed out two other times before, (not in a close-together time span...one was about six months ago and the other was last summer.) so the doctors are thinking that this is not normal. I am still so worried...could this be fatal? I'm still interested in hearing anyone's elses opinions.

Thanks again!
By ScotchGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5323, member since Fri Jan 24, 2003
On Tue Aug 05, 2008 09:32 PM
^ I doubt it is fatal. Many people pass out for many different reasons. Whatever is causing her to pass out, I'm sure the doctors will be able to find and treat it. I've actually read that the fall is actually more dangrous than the actual faint.
On Tue Aug 05, 2008 09:40 PM
Edited by KayElle (136120) on 2008-08-05 21:42:52
Just to clarify, passing out and having a seizure are NOT the same thing.

Fainting is usually your brain going "oops, not enough oxygen/glucose up here, better increase blood flow!" and making you horizontal.

A seizure is when a clump of neurons in your brain basically flip out and start "firing" way more than they're supposed to (sometimes up to 500 times a second). Different types of seizures involve different sizes of areas of the brain - anywhere from the whole brain (which is very scary) to one hemisphere or just a smaller clump of neurons.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to add, neither seizures nor just passing out are fatal. Really serious, repeated seizures can cause brain damage, but if you saw one of those, you'd be calling 911, not posting on DDN.
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12253, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:45 PM
Edited by d4j (104724) on 2008-08-05 22:46:48 clarification...
^Actually, you can have a very serious seizure and it might not look at all like a big deal. Not all big seizures are the "grand mal" kind, so you might not know to call 911. I know, because my mother has a seizure disorder and we have learned a lot about it over the years.

I'm certainly no expert but I have never heard of anyone losing bladder or bowel function from fainting due to low blood sugar or panic or exhaustion, etc. That is concerning to me.
By madseasonPremium member Comments: 1975, member since Wed Jan 04, 2006
On Wed Aug 06, 2008 06:57 PM
I have a seizure disorder and that sounds like a drop seizure to me. Except that she was totally cognitive when she game around, usually it takes me about 10 min to realize where I am/whats going on after a seizure. The only one who can tell you is a doctor. Good luck.
By nouvelles Comments: 25, member since Tue Aug 14, 2007
On Sat Aug 09, 2008 06:16 AM
I'm going to agree on the maybe seizures idea...

I have seizures and they're not tonic-clonic (fall to the ground, flail limbs, have no memory).

Sometimes I stare into space at nothing. Other times I start shaking... like an insane amount, then I'm not able to breathe. Sometimes I just fall over. They happen a lot after I eat especially for some reason. It has nothing to do with glucose for me... 6 blood tests in a month. Originally I was told they were panic attacks at an ER. uhhhh they weren't.

I'm on trileptal, lamictal and sometimes (a lot lately..) I take Klonopin. No bad side effects, really. I get dizzy sometimes... and the first time I was on lamictal I got this crazy rash. Depakote though - seriously, if they figure out it is seizures, suggest an alternative. That stuff is nothing but side effects. I could hardly walk without falling over, was constantly nauseas, headaches, and those are the "not serious" side effects. Then I got this weird thing where my eyes were rolling to the back of my head. Serious, apparently. Ooh.

But really - worst case scenario, low blood sugar or seizures. My biggest problem is I can't drive right now until I've been medicated for 6 months. She'll be totally fine.

Trust me. They'll get it figured out.
On Sat Aug 09, 2008 07:02 AM
Thanks to everyone for all their helpful comments and advice!

She had a blood test done, and everything came back normal. She is just slightly anemic.

Thanks again!

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed