Popular Teachers

class structure for young tap classes by cateyed
Hey everyone, first time teaching on my own here, and I'm due to be teaching beginning tap to...

Forum: Arts / Fashion

Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3
re: Horrid fashions of your past en>fr fr>en
By Aqualeine Comments: 475, member since Wed Mar 28, 2007
On Thu Aug 07, 2008 08:35 AM
I never heard them called SEX BRACELETS!

Here are some things that were IN and SO IMPORTANT in my middle school, which I was never allowed to have because they were too expensive, and the lack of which ruined my social life in my mind. I got over it quickly. I guess I should be grateful for the character it built in me.

Brown buckskin oxford shoes everyone called "bucks" (so ugly!)
Guess jeans
Brown leather suede bomber jackets
Huge puffy Starter coats (this is hard to explain to people who don't know what they are)

And lots of girls wore their hair in a bun on top of their heads, with a scrunchie wrapped around the outside of the bun, and wispy strands of hair left down from the temples, curled into little sausage curls.
By Soleil2213member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1313, member since Tue Sep 14, 2004
On Thu Aug 07, 2008 09:03 AM
^ at my grade school we had the opportunity to order starter coats in our school colors, with our mascot embroidered on them. I was *crushed* that my mom said they were too expensive and I couldn't have one :(
My "boyfriend" at the time let me wear his dallas cowboys one though, so I still felt cool.
Must have been in '96-'97
By undercoverdancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 214, member since Fri May 02, 2008
On Fri Aug 08, 2008 04:12 PM
My mother made the mistake of letting me pick out my clothes in second grade.

Nothing ever matched. Ever.

One outfit I recall is a pair of shorts and rainboots. And not cute Teen Vogue-y style. More demented-like.
By teenagewitchmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1063, member since Thu Apr 20, 2006
On Sat Aug 09, 2008 03:23 PM
Edited by teenagewitch (156949) on 2008-08-09 15:25:41
I went through this strange phase when I was 11 or 12 (around 2002/2003) during which I was trying to "find" my fashion sense. I would wear pretty much anything. So while I did wear a couple of cute outfits, there were others that were downright horrifying.

-Light pink pleather jacket with my faded jeans and pink platform sneakers
-Head to toe tie dye
-Black bellbottoms with metal studs all down the front, worn with my chunky black platform boots
-Super wide leg jeans worn with tight sweaters
-Jeans with chains hanging off them, worn with my way too big black bomber jacket (who did I think I was?)
-plaid skorts with my hair in pigtails
-bright pink jeans with a cheetah print belt
-Giant flashdance-esque off the shoulder tops

How did my mother let me out of the house in some of this stuff?
By MangoTangomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1449, member since Fri Dec 10, 2004
On Sun Aug 10, 2008 02:15 PM

Anyone remember popcorn shirts? They looked like doll tops at first, but had the capability of expanding to rediculous sizes. Yeah, I'm gonna bow my head in shame for owning one of those.

Lauren
By ChoChomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4151, member since Fri May 13, 2005
On Sun Aug 10, 2008 03:23 PM
^I remember those. Everyone around here got them from Limited Too. My mom never let me have one :P
By Allymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3182, member since Sun Dec 11, 2005
On Sun Aug 10, 2008 04:23 PM
Edited by Ally (147405) on 2008-08-10 16:26:00
Oh god, I had one of those stretchy tee's they came around in like 6th grade for me. As well as those horrible head band that had spikes in them. Pretty much anything from Limited Too between 1997 through 2000.
What were those bead bracelets called? The different colored bead, I can't explain

Back in elementary, I had an addiction to lacy tights, frilly socks under skorts or shorts

I forgot about the addiction to Silvers Mavi and Miss Sixty jeans
By Jadamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1491, member since Fri Aug 24, 2007
On Sun Aug 10, 2008 07:02 PM
Aqualeine wrote:

I discovered Delia's magazine in 9th grade and wanted everything from them!

Hey now! Don't be dissing Delia's! ;) I don't know how they were when you were my age but they are totally awesome...although some of their graphic T's are odd (but then others are pretty sweet!)

Those one-size-fits-all shirts that stretch out when you wear them (some one posted them above). Oh my gosh *headdesk* I can't believe it. My sister and I were 2 of a handful of girls who had them and everyone, including us, thought we were the "it" girls. I look back and cry...because I'm laughing so hard.

The jelly bracelettes. I've heard them called sex bracelletes but I never knew why or what they meant (like did a certain color mean a certain thing? I'm clueless). I had pink and black ones and I wore them all at once. :?

Ties. In 5th grade I was going through a small "punk" phase. I had a black sweater attached to a white shirt and it came with a tie. I wore it with a super short mini pleated jean skirt and those jelly bracelettes. Yuck :P

Pocketed jeans. I had a pair of jeans that had the regular front and back pockets, then 2 on both sides lower down and one of those pockets had another zipper pocket on it. It was like pockets galor.

Someone mentioned those big puffy vests. 2 years ago Old Navy had some and my mom bought my sister and I one each. I thought I looked so cute. One day I wore it and in the middle of History class (I'm talking dead middle of a discussion on the Civil War) a guy raised his hand and goes "I was just wondering. Jada, are you drowning?" I just looked at him, while the rest of the class was looking at me, and said no and asked why. His response "Well why are you wearing a life jacket?" Oh I was so embarrased. Lets just say that vest went straight to the back of my closet until I grew out of it.

Hmmm...that's all I can think of so far. Hopefully I won't wear anything else horrid.
By RingingPhonePremium member Comments: 3506, member since Thu Nov 10, 2005
On Sun Aug 10, 2008 07:30 PM
Can I just say that big puffy vests are still worn in Canada? I have two in my closet and I wear them when it's really cold in the winter :P
By agirlinatutumember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1832, member since Mon Sep 18, 2006
On Mon Aug 11, 2008 05:31 AM
Edited by agirlinatutu (167000) on 2008-08-11 05:35:22
I was definitely a victim of the platform white Reeboks trend. I almost broke my ankles, but hey, I was hot. No, I was literally burning up, because I was also wearing my lime green puffy Old Navy vest in southern Virginia. :P

I desperately wanted one of those expanding shirts, but my mom wouldn't let me get one (bless her heart).

I also went through a extreme tom-boy phase (3rd grade?) in which I would wear nothing that my brother hadn't worn at some point.

And then those horrible zip-up shoes? In 3rd grade I had a purple pair, and then in 5th grade a blue-and-white pair which I bought because they were identical to my best friend's shoes. And a shirt, which, when she pointed out that she had it too (way before I did) I go "Oh, I knew I saw that somewhere." Yeesh.

I've always been a victim of being copied (after being made fun of) though. In elementary school I was the first at my school to start wearing the two chunks of hair at the front of my head in colourful hair-ties. I DID look like an alien, but it's not fair that months later everyone else was wearing it too ):

The worst one though was in 7th grade-- the Dark Ages of my fashion. I wore a skirt over a pair of jeans. I was picked on MERCILESSLY for this. One girl (the evil Prep Queen as I referred to her then) was like "Oh hey I like your outfit." Poor, naive me replies "Uhh.. thanks." and then her and her little posse burst into a giggle-fit. I could have strangled her. Then, maybe a week later, one of the cheerleaders wore jeans under her cheerleading skirt. Suddenly, it was COOL to wear pants and skirts-- even pyjama pants under a skirt. And that stupid cheerleader got all the credit. She also got the rolled-up-pants-with-tube-socks thing from me, and again, when everyone started wearing it, she got the credit.

I have NO idea why I want credit for these trend disasters now, but dammit it was cool at the time! :P

I then went on to dye my blonde hair jet-black and I lived in Tripp pants and toddlers' t-shirts. *shakes head in shame*

8th grade was a fashion Golden Age for myself, actually. Except for the INSANE amounts of neon make-up.

The beginning 9th grade was pretty sad. Raver bracelets, toddler shirts (again), and I pretty much lived in a grey Flashdance sweater.

Then my style just got boring (but not horrid) and I'm trying to spice it back up again.

Whew. Sorry for the novel, I just have a lot of horrid fashion in my past heh.
By Armwarmermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3105, member since Fri May 20, 2005
On Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:25 AM
I'm just shaking my head here...

I totally had butterfly clips! Loved 'em!

And I STILL wear things that I'll probably regret.
On Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:41 PM
When I was in 5th grade up to about 8th grade, I had a sock obsession. My socks always had to match my outfit. I wore thick crew socks that I folded over once, and I had 2 drawes full of them in every color imagineable. If I had a pink shirt, I had to have the same color pink socks. I thought it was normal, and important to match your socks with your outfit. It didn't occur to me to do any different until one of my friends showed surprise that I did that. I guess I never noticed that no one else was so matchey-matchey.
By Peridotmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2389, member since Mon Dec 27, 2004
On Mon Aug 11, 2008 03:34 PM
MangtoTango, I think I had that exact same popcorn shirt that you posted. It was that color!I was also a victim of the butterfly clips, and clips of any kind, for that matter. I had them in many different colors.

Image hotlink - 'http://www.cheerleadingonline.com/img/AC244SM.jpg'
In middle school the big trend was to wear ribbon in our hair. I remember getting my mom to take me to the craft store because I had to have 1 inch ribbon in all different shades so that I could wear it with any outfit I had. We'd put our hair in a ponytail and tie the ribbon in a bow around it. All the cool kids did it...

Image hotlink - 'http://www.gifttimeshops.com/Images/Gallery/Large/$2.60%20sequin%20belt.jpg'
Remember the sequin trend? I had the belt and the purse. Looking back now, I don't know WHAT I was thinking! That wasn't even that long ago, actually! :O

Image hotlink - 'http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper868/stills/400e313195aaf-36-1.gif'
And oh, how we loved the initial purses! I remember thinking I was such a grown-up when I finally got to carry around a purse at school.

Image hotlink - 'http://twentyfivedays.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/flipflop.jpg'
We also did the DIY flip-flops with fabric strips.

I had socks of all different colors and fabrics. I loved fuzzy socks, socks with bells or bows, socks with animals on them... oh man, how embarrassing!

~Dot
By MaxwellPremium member Comments: 1476, member since Sat Oct 27, 2007
On Mon Aug 11, 2008 04:58 PM
I had many of those stretch shirts, and though they were the greatest thing ever. It was a shirt...that you could play with. And so could your friends. It provided my eight-year-old self with hours of entertainment.

When I was nine, my favortie bathing suit was...ugly. One-piece, metallic-y shine, glitter, and a bunch of swirly colors, in no particular pattern. I remember exactly what my older sister (who was then 14 or 15 at the time) said about it: Ew. It looks like rainbow puke. But I still loved it for as long as I could fit into it.
By balletpoodle6 Comments: 676, member since Wed May 16, 2007
On Mon Aug 11, 2008 09:19 PM
OMG!! I did so many of these things (and I'm only in 10th grade!)

-Sex bracelets! I wore those all of 5th and 6th grade. My best friend told me that they meant something very bad that she didn't want to discuss so I stopped wearing them.

-Initial purses! I always really wanted one but they never had an 'h'. I finally found one right when they were going out of style.

-Butterfly clips! I was obsessed!! My mom would braid my hair then put them in. I also bought crystal clips that I would wear to ballet.

-Big bows! My BFF in elementary school wore one everyday! People at my school (including me) still wear them around their ponytails.

-Anything from Limited Too! I actually didn't like the store but almost all my friends and family would get me gift cards from there so I had to use them. I do still wear bras and undies from there.

-Anything the Lizzie McGuire or Hillary Duff wore! I was obsessed with that show and I really wanted to look like the people on the show.

I know that in like 10 years I will be regretting what I am wearing now but looking back on what I wore then is so fun (and horrifying)!
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11196, member since Sat Aug 10, 2002
On Tue Aug 12, 2008 09:09 AM
Edited by oz_helen (35388) on 2008-08-12 09:44:22 clarified
I did some things that were intentionally a bit... weird. I mean, everyone thought I was off my tree anyway, so I figured I'd at least have fun with it.

Back in the 70s and early 80s, it was common for dancers to wear belts made out of those thick stretchy sequins (an inch thick at least) in costumes. I found all of my sister's belts and I wore them to school as headbands in the mid-90s, so this was before the sequinned belts posted above. We had a uniform, so that was pretty much the most out-there thing I could do. On uniform-free days, I'd totally be dressed in some outrageous costumey outfit. I wish I had photos of these because they were seriously deranged. I also used to dress up for school socials (you Americans call them "mixers", I believe).

As for things that were unintentionally bad, can I just mention patterned cotton-lycra leggings with oversized, shapeless long-sleeved t-shirts. *shudders* That's the only thing I thought worked that really didn't. I do not think I rocked that look, not even from a nutso perspective.

Oh and the butterfly clips - I STILL own them and occasionally wear them if the occasion warrants it.

Helen
By ChoChomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4151, member since Fri May 13, 2005
On Tue Aug 12, 2008 09:39 AM
Peridot - I forgot about the sequins! That was when I was in 8th or 9th grade..which was just a few years ago haha. I had the light pink belt and two purses..a white one with multi-colored sequins and a pink one. Everyone had them. I wore the belt around Christmastime last year and I used one of the purses not too long ago!
By amarathPremium member Comments: 5926, member since Sat Apr 19, 2003
On Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:40 AM
Has anyone ever found something useful with all this stuff? I actually did a little while ago ...

You remember those tattoo necklaces? The plastic ones--there's a picture on the front page. Anyway, I found one, and I discovered that it actually makes quite a decent headband, especially with long hair or with a bun.

I was really shocked!
On Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:20 PM
I guess you could cut up some old pleather pants and use the material to patch holes in vinyl seating.
By x_Nic_xmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2157, member since Sun Jun 10, 2007
On Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:28 PM
Pretty much everything I wore below the age of 15 was disgusting.

I do remember having these really hideous, disgusting shorts when I was a kid. They're so horrible and gross, I can't even describe them (they're weirdly complicated). I wish I had a picture...
On Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:32 PM
I had a pair of MC Hammer pants. They were olive green. I got a lot of compliments on them at the time.

I also had a jumpsuit that looked like it was a black floral print (hammer pants) overalls thing worn over a long sleeve white t-shirt, except that the t-shirt was only neck and sleeves, and was attached.

Did anyone else "peg" "tight roll" or "french roll" their pant legs and shorts legs? I did. I had to! I would have been made fun of if I didn't.
re: Horrid fashions of your past (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
On Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:33 PM
Also, something very important to my fashion sense:

Clarissa Explains It All
By Allymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3182, member since Sun Dec 11, 2005
On Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:40 PM
I completely forgot about Clarrisa Explains It All. I went through a phase of wanting a pet to live in my room because of that show

I forgot about those tattoo chokers.
I was on pom squad in middle school and we were all obsessed with ribbons in our hair, even out of uniform. We thought we were so sophisticated
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3113, member since Tue Apr 24, 2007
On Wed Aug 13, 2008 03:15 PM
I was all about the peg leg jeans in middle school, and early high school.

I felt like the height of fashion when I wore my turquoise jean skirt with white tights, and white socks with eylet lace around the edge.

I went through a whole vest phase, I think I had six to eight vests, in all colors and patterns.

I still love wearing my long dusters (jumpers/sweaters whatever you call them) I have one that is just past my knees and one that almost reaches my ankles. Last year I couldn't wear them because my classroom was too hot, but they're coming back next year!
By MissAshleymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8229, member since Sun Sep 18, 2005
On Wed Aug 13, 2008 04:15 PM
I remember the choker tattoo neck things. I think I wore mine for a year or so straight without taking it off. Some guy was like, "you shower with that on????" and I didnt see the big deal.

Someone gave me a popcorn tank top. I think its in the salvation army give away bag right now.

Wearing the SAME sneakers everyday. They were like..blue and white. And I'd wear them with everyday outfit all year round. Heh.

I use to wear sequin belts like..2 years ago. They are both faded and with sequins are falling off. But I still have them. :P

Butterfly clips for me too!!

What about the plaid school girl mini skirts?

Bandanas. I had EVERY color. And wore them every day in the 4th and 5th grade.

I had the Skechers platform sneakers.
Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch