Forum: Ballet / Ballet Choreography

How do YOU chorgraph a solo?? Hints, tips.. share your advice!! Wisdom lol
By Dancecutie38
On Tue Aug 05, 2008 02:57 PM

Hey, so I really havn't honestly looked throughout this whole board and i am guessing this is the only "Chorgraphy" blurb on here.. if not like if there is a jazz section or wutever please feel free to move this post. But, yeah I wans't sure if this was teh only section strictly foused on JUST choraphy.. but im guessing it is! :)
Anywayz, so I am a beginner chorapher u may call it lol. I Just make up solos by myself.. usually a minute or a minuter n a half. ONe of them I've showed at an audition, and the other Im gonna take to a competition. But, i guess i just want to make this post user friendly and ask any masters of choraphy or anybody, whats yoru secret to chorapher? How do you choraphy a solo? how long does it take you? etc..

If you could just share your chorpahy wisdom i wud really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Erin

ps. hoepfully this makes sense!

3 Replies to How do YOU chorgraph a solo?? Hints, tips.. share your advice!! Wisdom lol

re: How do YOU chorgraph a solo?? Hints, tips.. share your advice!! Wisdom lol
By get_over_itmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:03 PM
Improvisation has always been my greatest choreographic tool. If you're planning a contemporary routine, this may be the best route. However, if its more classical you may find that improv doesn't help. If you know the music you want to choreograph to, improv to that. If not, find something that inspires you.

Improv to a the song at least 3 times and video tape it if you can. If not, write down things that you like as soon as you do them. The longer you improv, the more you will explore your boundaries and step out of your normal choreography. Once you've begun setting things, try altering the dynamics, quality, energy, timing, etc.

Good luck.
By angeldancer92
On Thu Aug 07, 2008 03:53 AM
Listen to your music over and over again so you know the beats if theres words the exact meaning, and also it prepares you to hear it over and over again to make sure you wont get sick of it to easily :P

now think of what the point of your solo is, is it to express the words, to show off the talent of the dancer? etc.

now you can start to improvise, a good idea is to video what you do so you can take phrases and moves and work on them in more detail.

Now you can fuss around tweaking things here, adding bits in here.

voila a solo!

P.S remeber to have a floor atern! (draw where you move on a peice of paper in the shape of a stage to see what it looks like froma above

Good luck and have fun!
By LuthienPremium member
On Fri Aug 08, 2008 07:57 AM
I pretty much just...improvise and dance around and that somehow turns into my choreography. Usually what I improvise is the dance, sometimes I'll try 3 or 4 things, but after I decide on something I rarely change it. I usually have an idea of what I want before I start choreographing.

ReplySendWatch