Forum: Ballet / Pointe - Beginners

what to expect for your first pointe shoe fitting
By pointe92member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Aug 05, 2008 03:45 PM

i have noticed lots of questions on DDN about fittings so i created this guide!

ahhh. your first pointe shoe fitting. a lot of us have been dreaming about this day for a long time. it seems like all you have to do is go in,get pointe shoes, leave, and start dancing. but it is much more than that.

to avoid getting confused do a little resarch and let your parents know of the cost of pointe shoes and the hours of classes that go into it.

Be prerared,

first of all you need to be completly prepared.

you will need...

~money, about $75.00 to $110.00 preferably cash because some stores dont take checks or credit cards.
~plenty of time. a fitting can sometimes take hours!
~convertible tights. if you need spacers then these will be nessesary.
~cut toenails. make sure they are not too long or too short. dont cut them the day of the fitting.
~a camera. i made the mistake of not taking a camera and wish i would have!

~if its possible, a teacher or an older dancer from your studio. they can be helpfful because a parent usually wont know much about pointe shoes even if THEY were a dancer.

Parts of a pointe shoe

Before the fitting memorize the parts of a pointe shoes so when the fitter says "is the box to wide?" you can honestly answer them. heres a picture to help...

Image hotlink - 'http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p364/purple_tutu_29/partsofapointeshoe.jpg'

a) inner sole / sock liner
b) shank
c) drawstring / drawstring knot
d) wings
e) box
f) drawstring casing
g) leather outer sole
h) vamp
i) platform

Ouch these hurt! are they to small?

the feel of a new pointe shoe can be over whelming.
the shoe should be snug but not painfully tight. your toes should be able to lay straight along the shoe and NOt be jammed into the end.are your toes overlapping? because they shouldnt be! your fitter will guide you through this process. the shoe shoulnt allow "growing room"

ALWAYS CHECK YOUR SHOES WITH YOUR TEACHER!
even if the shoe fits you fine, the teacher knows your abilities and they dont! so this is very important before you sew ribbons and elastics.

if you are unsure how to sew elastics and ribbons ask a fitter, teacher, or see the link below.

www.youtube.com . . .

for tying tips see this link.

www.youtube.com . . .

i am happy to answer questions.
and i will add more info if suggested.
feel free to share stories about your fitting or about a fitting your preparing for!

4 Replies to what to expect for your first pointe shoe fitting

re: what to expect for your first pointe shoe fitting
By BerensDancermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Aug 06, 2008 09:12 AM
nice!! i wish i would have known all this stuff when i first began... it would have been nice to have some know-how about what i was doing, lol.

g
On Thu Aug 07, 2008 07:51 PM
yes my techer gave me something similar to this when i first started so i thought i would share! :)
By CGTmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:19 AM
i've been fitted for tons of pointe shoes, but I don't get why we would need to bring a camera?
On Sat Aug 09, 2008 06:26 PM
i would have liked to have brought a camera to my FIRST fitting because it seemed like a really big day to me and i scrapbook so it would be nice to have that.

ReplySendWatch