Forum: Skating / Figure Skating

Your Skating Background!!
By TwinkleStar7
On Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:15 PM

The board seems pretty empty, so maybe starting a new thread in skating will help!
How long have you been skating? What is your favorite move/skill/jump/spin? What was difficult for you to learn? Are you in group lessons or private? Are you with USFSA? What tips or advice do you have for other skaters?

To answer my own questions, I skated for around half a year, but I do not currently take lessons. I really enjoyed learning how to do two foot spins (yay!!), bunny hops, and waltz jumps. It was super hard to learn how to go backwards, but now it is like second nature. Also spin entries were hard because of my back posture. I did group and private lessons and I was with USFSA!! My advice for skaters is to practice like crazy!!! You can never have enough ice. And if anyone is wondering when to take private lessons, I would say right around the time you are learning back/front walkovers and beginning jumps. You may not get enough attention in group lessons and then have a really bad technique!

10 Replies to Your Skating Background!!

re: Your Skating Background!!
By cloudii
On Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:06 AM
Well, it's been about a year and a few months since I started skating, but for several of those months I wasn't in lessons and very rarely skating (only every few weeks). Right now, I in group lessons (ISI Learn To Skate). I'm only in Delta (the level where you learn inside 3-turns and bunny hops, etc.) I probably would have passed it already if not for those stupid inside 3-turns :(
I'm teaching myself to do more advanced stuff though,like waltz jumps and scratch spins because I'm too impatient to wait.
Scratch spins are probably my favorite move, even though I can only do them really slowly. I don't really have much advice except never give up.
By sk8starmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Aug 10, 2008 05:51 PM
I started skating when I was 9...I had played hockey since the age of 6 and I saw my friend's figure skating show. The next year my mom signed me up and I was passed up to basic 5 within the first day.

I skated through the USFSA track and completed Juvenile Free and Intermediate Moves and then when I was a senior in High School, I had to stop skating due to a crazy work schedule. When I went to college, I started skating and coaching...Now at the age of 22, I don't really have time to skate, but every summer I try to hit the rink a few times.

My favorite moves include the axel, layback spin and split jump. On a good day, I can still land a decent axel and the occassional full split jump.

Some advice, skate for fun. Don't get frustrated when you don't get a skill right away. Try video taping yourself at practice...it really helps you realize what you look like when you complete elements.
costumes
By momof2twirlers
On Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:08 PM
Where do you purchase your costumes from?
By sk8starmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Aug 14, 2008 04:18 PM
I used to order costumes off the web from sites like Sharene and GK. I also would go to local dance stores (they generally carry a few skating dresses) and buy plain practice dresses. My mom would then add the beading later.
By SkaterEmily_X
On Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:50 PM
well ive been skating for about a year and a couple of months now and i first started off at my local ice rink in the galaxy glider sessions (large begginers group sessions)

but now im in a smaller group lesson and also so a syncronised skating club

my favourite jump is a single salcow and my favourite spin is just an easy up right spin.X
By skateballetPremium member
On Fri Sep 26, 2008 07:10 AM
I've skated since I was 5 and my fav jump is Flip. Axel was most difficult to learn but now I can land a 2axel consistently. I take private lessons and have a moves coach, freestyle coach and choreographer, lol. Cha ching. I've been a member of the USFSA since I was little.

My best advice would be HAVE FUN. So much of the sport can make you really depressed if you let it, especially if you compete. Have fun, don't give up if you get a big, fat "RETRY" on any of your tests (there could be many and still, don't give up, don't look at it as failure-just try to learn from it and move on.)

Another thing is to make sure you're in well fitting skates. Beginners don't need "top of the line" very expensive skates or blades (that can actually hurt you) but rather skates that fit well. If anyone wants fitting advice, PM me or post something here.

Also, a big pet peeve of mine is when people are inconsiderate or rude during freestyle sessions. Make sure you move out of the way of people doing their program or having a lesson, since they have the right of way and always be nice to others, even if they piss you off. You'll set a good example if you don't get mad out there. I really hate it when coaches fail to tell their students to be considerate of others and to not overuse the word "excuse me."

Oh also, never compare yourself to your skating buddies or others. It will bring you down. Just work at your own pace and don't get discouraged if someone is progressing at a faster rate. Because of the nature of the sport, it's easy to get distracted by other people and compare and feel judged, but you'll enjoy it a lot more if you try to watch your own progress and set your own personal goals.
By heavenlybaton
On Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:45 AM
I am 6 time world figure skating champion. My biggest trick is a quad sowcow tripple axel landing reverse leg fly away. And a falling leaf split jump, into toeless lutz delayed axel half loop. I have been a world competitior for 7 years, and have been titled as the most talented figure skater in North America.
re: Your Skating Background!! (karma: 1)
By SunshinePointemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Oct 28, 2008 03:09 PM
^ Considering you're a world champion I'd assume you knew how to spell salchow :P
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Dec 21, 2008 05:36 AM
I'm not a skater, just lurk the boards. I have been skating a few times, it was so much fun. Unfortunately there's no opportunity to ice skate where I live.
By Jumpmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:22 PM
:) Good one Sunshine!
I've not skated for about a half a year and I feel absolutely horrid. One of our local rinks closed with the promise of opening in an olympic size. Unfortunately siting reasons of the economic downturn, all plans have been thrown into the fire!
Terribly lousy news for us and all the budding skaters in my country :(

I started skating about 10 years ago, but stopped for a year each time my school exits came up. I would love to get back to it, but where? My fave jump is the flip too, and spin is the sit spin ++.

I guess my advice is to decide how far you want to go in skating after a while. Then you know how much time/money/sacrifice to make. Also set your goals like - just for fun, exercise, nationals or just showcases. That way you can work towards your goals and feel really happy when you achieve them

Good luck!

ReplySendWatch