Forum: Arts / Crafts & Hobbies

Quilting
By CaffeinePremium member
On Mon Aug 11, 2008 03:24 AM

I'm not very good at sewing, and for some reason, always thought quilting was an odd pasttime to engage in. (I've been caught at the cutting counters when quilters went mad).

But I've bought a quilt kit/pattern. And I really want to make two baby quilts for my friends' twins, even though I'm sure they're inundated with stuff already.

Does anybody have any any hints/tips on how to get started with this project so the babies aren't in their teens by the time I'm done? Any finished projects to show off?

4 Replies to Quilting

re: Quilting
By punkgirl59
On Mon Aug 11, 2008 03:27 AM
I made a quilt for my boyfriend for his birthday but it was just a tie quilt so it was a bit simpler. Are you planning to make tie quilts or patchwork?

~*~Punkgirl~*~

Long live punk rocK
On Mon Aug 11, 2008 03:36 AM
~embarassed~ What's a tie quilt?

I was thinking patchwork, because of all the funky (pre-cut! yay! ) fabrics that are out there. But aside from the "I want to make a quilt" impulse, I know nothing about this craft.
By Naivohwmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:05 PM
I would say your best bet is to go to a local quilting shop and see if they have any beginner classes you can take. Or at the least, they should probably have good books for beginners so you could teach yourself. And they can also tell you what supplies you need. Depending on the type of quilt, you'll need to get a rotary cutter (looks like a pizza cutter) a mat to cut on and at least 1 ruler. And you need a sewing machine that can sew a 1/4" seam. So I would really encourage going to a quilt shop and talking to the employees there. If there aren't any shops you can get to, Alex Anderson is an author that writes really good books for beginners to learn from. Eleanor Burns is another good author. Good luck in your quilting! I've been serious about it for a long time, so PM me if you want.
On Tue Sep 02, 2008 05:16 PM
Thanks for your tips and advice, treblemaker. Unfortunately I didn't see your comments until after I'd started tackling the baby-quilts, but I'll definitely take them into account for the next one I'm plotting. :)

For the baby quilts, I bought a couple of pre-cut packs of fabric in similar colour tonings, and mixed-and-matched until I was happy. I didn't want to do anything too complicated for my first try, so I just stuck to blocks of colours. Zig-zag-stitched them together so the seams were inside, attached a pretty, complimentary polar fleece backing, "quilted" the centre down to the back (if that makes sense - I stitched around the centre squares to keep it all together), and fought with blanket binding to neaten up the edges. The blanket binding was the trickiest part!

And the finished products:
Image hotlink - 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/aragwinity/photos/2008/sewing/blankie3.jpg'

I'm seriously proud of how they turned out. I hope the recipient likes them too.

ReplySendWatch