Forum: Arts / Crafts & Hobbies

Turning a pair of socks into legwarmers, advice please?
By Niennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Aug 11, 2008 09:50 AM

I have a pair of thigh high rainbow socks that I'd REALLY love to use just as legwarmers, which would require cutting out the toe and the heel so that they can slip on over my toe shoes or ballet flats or bare feet and not have to worry about wearing the socks through. However I'm not sure how the material will react to just cutting, so I'm thinking I'll need to stitch up the ends to prevent them from potentially unraveling. I don't have a sewing machine, I know enough about sewing to do them by hand, but I'm not sure exactly what I should do! Any ideas?

2 Replies to Turning a pair of socks into legwarmers, advice please?

re: Turning a pair of socks into legwarmers, advice please?
By Dancing_Momma
On Mon Aug 11, 2008 09:55 AM
Snip the toe right at the seam line and snip a very small circle on the heel then put it on your foot to see if you need to take a bit more. Always start the circle on your heel very very small as it will stretch out around it. The toe part will likely be where you will need to take a little more. The material probably won't unravel and you want it to stretch, so sewing isn't neccessary.

I like doing this to my socks to make a stirrup legwarmer that's super cozy and tight fitting to the ankle. Soccer socks works the best, they're tall and made out of really nice material.
re: Turning a pair of socks into legwarmers, advice please?
By MissAshleymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Aug 25, 2008 02:11 PM
That sounds like a cute idea. Post a picture for us? :)

ReplySendWatch