Forum: Skating / Figure Skating

questions about figure skating
By plie90
On Tue Aug 12, 2008 07:24 PM

hey everyone! I'm a fashion design student and for my design class we had to pick any sport we wanted and do some research in order to create a collection inspired by it. I chose figure skating because it has been my life's dream to be a figure skater.. anyway, I have some questions for you.

1. What are the fabrics used on costumes?
2. What works and what doesn't? (for example, too much volume on the top/bottom part, etc).
3. Has the costumes changed over the years?
4. Are there different styles for figure skating?
5. What are the strengths you need in order to become a professional skater?
6. How many hours do you practice?

feel free to leave in blank some of them.. thanks a lot in advanced!

3 Replies to questions about figure skating

re: questions about figure skating
By sk8starmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Aug 14, 2008 04:17 PM
1. Generally you will find competition costumes made from Lycra and Stretch velvets. Anything that moves and stretches well.

2. The costume can't be too heavy. There are actually rules in the USFSA handbook that state the costumes can't have over the top beading...basically as long as every sequin stays on, you're ok. Costumes that have long flowing sleeves are usually avoided so that the sleeves don't get caught on the blades.

3. Costumes have definitely changed. If you google skating videos from the early 90s and recent years you'll definitely see longer skirts and lower necklines now.

4. There are four popular disciplines of skating. Singles (ladies/men), Ice dancing (no jumps), Pairs, and Synchronized skating (large group events).

5. Most professional skaters are both musical and athletic. Greta skaters are able to complete the required elements, yet maintain the grace and musicality of ballet/dance.

Hope this helps! good luck with your project!
By plie90
On Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:42 PM
thanks a lot for your reply!
By SkaterEmily_X
On Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:46 PM
the materials most commonly used for costumes are lycra because they are genrally more comfy than others to be moving around in and i train 5 hours a week on the ice and about an hour off ice in my lounge......Sorry but i cant remember any more questions.

hope ive helped.X

Emily

ReplySendWatch