Forum: Disco / Disco Advice

Page:
Page 1 of 51 2 3 4 5
Disco Advice
Some advice on FOOD & DRINK for competitions. (karma: 11)
By Nicola_xmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2257, member since Sun Dec 21, 2003
On Wed Aug 13, 2008 07:27 AM
Edited by Nicola_x (80323) on 2008-08-13 07:32:37 layout
Made sticky by Nicola_x (80323) on 2008-08-13 07:33:51 In answer to regularly asked questions
Edited by Nicola_x (80323) on 2008-08-13 07:34:50 added

I have noticed that there are regular posts about what people eat and drink whilst competing, to increase, boost or sustain energy. Since the question is often asked I thought I would put together some information that may help.

Drinks...

Fluids to try
Fluids are essential wether competing or not, in order to function well our bodies need to be hydrated. We should all aim to drink at least 2ltrs of water a day.

When exercising (so dancing or competing) our bodies will lose water during perspiration and so it is even more important to ensure that we are drinking enough fluids.

Some types of drinks recommended are;
Water
Water will;

* Improve Your Energy

* Increase Performance

* Remove Toxins from your body

* Encourage healthy skin

* Reduce dizziness

If your not a fan of water, why not add some sugar free squash to improve the taste?

Isotonic drinks
Isotonic drinks (such as lucozade sport) differ from water because they contain a small amount of carbohydrates and sodium. The carbohydrate gives a bit of extra energy fuel to your body and the sodium is absorbed, replacing the sodium lost through sweating etc.
Isotonic drinks are reported to not only do what water does but also to have that extra edge necessary due to physical endurance.
According to planet-science.com you can make your own Isotonic drinks by adding a small pinch of salt to some squash.

The above are the ONLY fluids recommended during physical activity and exercise.

Fluids to avoid
The following are a list of fluids which I feel should be avoided during physical activities;

* Red Bull or other similar energy drinks;
These energy drinks contain high volumes of caffeine, which can cause dehydration. Caffenine has a recommended daily limit and often these energy drinks exceed that. These drinks offer short bursts of energy which can increase heart rates and as it contains caffeine and other stimulants, it ofter increases the need to urinate which means your body is losing fluids rather than retaining them. Also these drinks are carbonated, meaning they have gas in them which can lead to bloatedness, wind, nausea and a general sluggish feeling - not what you want before you go shooting round the dance floor. Also be aware of drinks containing guarana as this is a similar stimulant.

* Carbonated drinks such as coke, fanta etc;
For the same reasons as above, these drinks will leave you feeling bloated. Also many of these drinks also contain caffeine.

* Fresh fruit juices;
Fresh fruit juices are high in natural sugar and although they are good for you in general they are not the best thing to drink for endurance or high levels of activity. This is because they provide burst of energy and the natural sugars can encourage a 'fast high' and a 'fast crash' they can also leave you feeling heavy and sluggish.

Foods.....

Foods to try;

* Carbohydrates: such as bread, pasta, pulses. Do not have large quatities of carbohydrates but perhaps try them with something else. For example sandwhiches, pasta salad, a rice bowl or a fruit muffin.

* Vegetables: many vegetables are a great energy source so salads or crunchy vegetable sticks are a good option.

* Fruit: fruits such as oranges, bananas and pineapple are good sources of energy too. Avoid fruit like melon which can sometimes encourage water retention and bloating. Bananas are particularly good as they give slow relaeses of energy.

* Yoghurt: Yoghurt contains vitamin B which helps your body convert other nutrients into energy, so a yoghurt would be beneficial.

* Nuts or seeds: If you like nuts and seed then they are a great source of energy, although be careful as some venues will not allow nuts due to allergy reasons.

Foods to avoid;

* Fatty Foods; Foods that are high in fat are not good before or during exercise, they make your body feel heavy and bloated and do not provide any additional energy.Meats, doughnuts, chips, crisps, and chocolate bars should be avoided before exercise. These sorts of foods can be harder to digest and remain in the stomach for longer.

Ultimately it is up to you what you eat during a competition, you will know what works for you. Above is just some advice in response to questions often asked.

I sourced some of this information from various internet sites such as planet science, about.com, kids exercise and health for life. I hope you found the information useful.

Feel free to add tips and advice to this post.

Nicola x

120 Replies to Some advice on FOOD & DRINK for competitions.

re: Some advice on FOOD & DRINK for competitions.
By KIERRA_N_CHARLEEmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2655, member since Tue Aug 10, 2004
On Wed Aug 13, 2008 07:31 AM
great post - good information there x x

coll
By moomintrudemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2579, member since Mon Mar 10, 2003
On Wed Aug 13, 2008 07:32 AM
some great advice there Nicola. I remember once trying to drink coke at a comp, not a good move! :P

xxMOOMxx
By groovygranmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12545, member since Mon Jan 19, 2004
On Wed Aug 13, 2008 08:25 AM
Good advice there

Can I add eating a Bannana or a spoon of Jam will give a quick burst if feeling in need of a little extra energy [advice given to my son at olympic camp training]

Mama DD's xxx
By FreestyleDiva581 Comments: 141, member since Sun Feb 24, 2008
On Wed Aug 13, 2008 08:46 AM
Jaffa Cakes Are great for energy! lol =)
By hannaht566 Comments: 121, member since Mon Jul 14, 2008
On Sun Aug 17, 2008 01:33 PM
hiya
bananas are really good for energy.. I dont like them though lol
xxhannahxx
By BLINGBOUTIQUE Comments: 707, member since Sun Feb 24, 2008
On Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:17 AM
hiya
thanks for the grat post never really thought of certain foods like that and drinks
zoe x
By DancerxBeth Comments: 20, member since Sat Sep 06, 2008
On Sun Sep 07, 2008 02:17 AM
great post -- good advice. thanks, i will take this in mind when im dancing

x
By little_lilz_96 Comments: 158, member since Sat Jun 21, 2008
On Sun Sep 07, 2008 03:13 PM
Hey, VERY good post :D

& DancerxBeth (aka my best friend :P)

That is advice to keep in mind for competitions

Beth you don't compete! :P
By DancerxBeth Comments: 20, member since Sat Sep 06, 2008
On Sat Sep 13, 2008 02:48 PM
Thanks for the advice. this will help me lots :D really good advice and a really good post. good :)

x

Comment #7578145 deleted
Removed by oz_helen (35388) on 2008-09-23 21:38:13 Typing Like This Makes Your Posts Very Hard To Read

By megans_mum Comments: 324, member since Thu Sep 04, 2008
On Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:48 AM
Hi

Thanks for the advice, its really useful.

Amanda x x
By AilsaMPremium member Comments: 94, member since Wed Oct 15, 2008
On Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:46 PM
Excellent advice I'll try my best to encourage my 6 yr old whats best!!!! Thanks
By georgiegirl99 Comments: 20, member since Wed Aug 06, 2008
On Sat Nov 22, 2008 08:31 AM
Hello
Great advice
i will rate you
love from Bethany
By harri_starmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1893, member since Wed Aug 31, 2005
On Wed Dec 24, 2008 02:20 AM
Hiya,

Really good advice! :D

At a comp I drank half a bottle of the fizzy Lucozade before I did my first dance, I came off feeling very sick so I have now changed to the still version!

Harri*xx
By weeDancinclaire Comments: 305, member since Sat Jan 12, 2008
On Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:44 AM
Thanks for the information :D
By dancinava Comments: 197, member since Thu May 22, 2008
On Fri Jan 02, 2009 02:26 PM
some really useful information , thanks for putting the time in to putting this post together, helpful advice.
By catherinetall Comments: 11, member since Tue Nov 18, 2008
On Mon Jan 12, 2009 08:54 AM
excellent advice if only everyone followed it.... ive seen 7yr olds drinking redbull
By nataliedukes Comments: 21, member since Sun Nov 11, 2007
On Mon Jan 19, 2009 03:58 PM
Great post, This is very helpful. i will be using these tips. Thankyou!
By QueenDeemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3552, member since Sun Feb 26, 2006
On Mon Jan 19, 2009 04:05 PM
great post nicola , i was just thinking what i should drink at competitions which would be best , because im not too sure whats best - last time i drank red bull at a competition , i had a panic attack !

everybody lets try & stay off red bull lol !

danielle xxxx
By jellymum Comments: 49, member since Sun Jan 18, 2009
On Thu Jan 22, 2009 03:44 PM
Can I also add that I read in a dance magazine that a good breakfast to start the day and provide long lasting energy is scrambled eggs. didnt know about the energy drinks though, Ive just bought a bottle for next comp but wont be taking it now. Glad Ive found this advice, thankyou
By x_emilyy_torii_xmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 74, member since Sat Jan 17, 2009
On Sat Jan 24, 2009 05:10 AM
Hii.

Great post, this helps a lot. We both have pasta at comps because they are a slow energy release food. We also drink lots of water. Thanks again for the great advice

Love
Emilyy and Torii
x
By Rachel95member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 743, member since Thu Oct 14, 2004
On Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:02 PM
hiyaaa

great advice.
I may sound weird but I eat jelly cubes fresh from the packet
they give me soo much energy!!
xxx
By shannon_pee Comments: 21, member since Sun Feb 03, 2008
On Sun Jan 25, 2009 07:15 AM
Great post thank you for the tips
By Amberlie Comments: 2, member since Mon Jun 09, 2008
On Wed Jan 28, 2009 01:01 PM
Some good tips and advice- thanks :)
Page:
Page 1 of 51 2 3 4 5

ReplySendWatch