Priority Teaching Jobs

Forum: Irish / Irish

Irish
Can You Recommend An Ankle Brace? en>fr fr>en
By Snuffymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3386, member since Wed Jan 02, 2008
On Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:27 AM

I've been taping my ankle like my physio told me, but he said that I could try a brace instead if I wanted. Basically the reason that he got me to tape it was that he felt that I might find ankle braces to be a bit bulky for dancing in, whereas tape is not bulky at all. This is just for a little extra support, so it doesn't have to be too specific - it's not a life or death situation, if that makes sense. The physio was pretty relaxed about letting me go and find my own ankle brace. I've been using the tape up until now.

However, the time has come for me to investigate my options for an ankle brace!

Taping does the trick, but in the long run it's expensive to be buying more and more rolls of physio tape, and the main reason I want to try a brace instead is that my skin doesn't like the tape, and it gives me a bit of a rash from taping it once or twice each week (and realistically, I don't want this forever!).

Now, before venturing out into the big wide world of ankle braces, I thought I'd ask if anyone can recommend one, since I know there are plenty of you around here who wear them. :)

I'm in Australia, so I won't necessarily be able to get the exact same one, but I'd like to get some idea of what you find works best for Irish dance. Then, when I go to buy one, I'll know what to look for (last time I went to buy a knee brace I was overwhelmed by the choices!).

Mostly I'm hoping for something that can be worn under my tights/shoes (I wear a fairly discrete knee brace under my tights too).

So just to reiterate, it's more for a bit of extra support than to help deal with a specific recent injury or anything. :)

9 Replies to Can You Recommend An Ankle Brace?

re: Can You Recommend An Ankle Brace? en>fr fr>en
By ZandBPremium member Comments: 1065, member since Fri Sep 03, 2004
On Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:45 AM
Glad you're seeing a therapist!

You may want to try this website for a variety of ankle braces... and it's in Australia.

www.sportstek.net . . .

Good luck!
By cailindncr79 Comments: 72, member since Wed Jan 18, 2006
On Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:10 PM
've used this type many times when coming back from injuries, just for some extra support. It's also not too bulky to be obvious under socks (or tights); I've worn it under both. Just make sure you don't get it too tight or your arches will bother you!

www.discountdance.com . . .
By vanitas Comments: 110, member since Sun Nov 25, 2007
On Tue Aug 26, 2008 01:37 PM
One of dancers from my school wears something simillar to this one www.sportstek.net . . . and it seems to work very well... plus it is not noticeable or bulky at all :)
By treblechild17member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 187, member since Sat Aug 16, 2008
On Tue Aug 26, 2008 01:51 PM
Back a few years ago, I managed to sprain/chip bones in my ankle while practicing dance... I had about 2 months of rehab after that and I was a bit unsure while dancing afterwards. We discovered this stuff called Vetwrap that's just basically a thin version of an ace wrap that sticks to itself so you can use as much or as little as you'd like. It's made for use on animals but it worked beautifully for me! We bought it in bulk and the price really wasn't bad! It comes in TONS of colors including white(so it doesn't show under your socks at competitions). I'm sure you'd be able to find a vet supply place in Australia. Just check online!
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4008, member since Sat Feb 03, 2007
On Tue Aug 26, 2008 02:53 PM
That's a tough one.

Since we don't know what your injury was or where you need the support, ask your PT to find one in their catalogues that would give you the right kind of support, ask what is the most important feature for you (lateral support? arch support? does it need to have rigid supports? etc) Then, once you know what you need, you can check things out online. Narrow it down, then ask all of us if we have used that kind.

There are sooooooo many types of ankle braces out there. Some will fit in a shoe, some definately will not. I once saw an adult dancer in black tights who wore her black ankle brace over her ghillies with good results. Good luck getting the type that will do just what you need with minimal bulk! :)
By irishdancinbetsy Comments: 1386, member since Mon Jan 21, 2002
On Tue Aug 26, 2008 08:38 PM
I LOVE the ASO brace (1st brace offered in that first sportek link). Its a bit on the bulky side, but really mimicks what you are most likely doing with taping.

When my ankle is feeling crappy i'll wear the brace (and avoid the money to spend on tape) but just tape for feises or extensive practices that I know the brace will get in the way.

I hope that helped!
betsy
By Snuffymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3386, member since Wed Jan 02, 2008
On Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:35 PM
Thanks for all the replies! You guys rock (pun not necessarily intended!) :)

Hop_123, the ankle tape was just the simple stirrup method to provide a little extra stability to help prevent my ankle from rolling and spraining (no recent injuries though). My left ankle is not as strong as my right ankle, although it's actually feeling a lot more stable now, but I don't want to risk going tape/brace-free, because knowing me I'll go and injure myself and then I'll kick myself for not wearing tape or a brace!

Image hotlink - 'http://www.sportstek.net/images/ankle_taping_1.jpg'
It's like this picture (but without the extra stuff under the red and green bit). There's the tape that goes around just below the calf (or a bit above the ankle), and then the two 'stirrups' attached to it. It does the job well, so I'm after a brace that will give similar support.
By butterfly_capemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1721, member since Thu Dec 29, 2005
On Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:14 AM
Honestly, if you have a good pharmacy close to you, they should be able to help you out with a quality brace. The standard skin-coloured elasticised ones are fine, and fantastic for dancing. Make sure its tight, but not so tight that its going to cut off circulation (make it as tight as your taping would be)

Mcbeths Pharmacy in Cherrybrook Shopping Centre is fantastic, i go there for everything and i'm sure i've got knee braces from them before which work wonders, you if feel like a 10-15 minute drive, i can reccomend them
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4008, member since Sat Feb 03, 2007
On Wed Aug 27, 2008 04:25 PM
Several of the ones on ZandB's link would probably do the trick, some would definately by overkill. Most have the medial/lateral support that the tape gives you. Your best bet (if possible) would be to go to a pharmacy or sporting goods store, and try some on. Bring your shoes with you too, to see if it will fit. Most of the packages (in the US) open and close easily. Our local sporting goods store doesn't mind if you try them on. You are lucky in that you don't need a lot of support, just a little restriction of your movement, as you get stronger. Good luck.

ReplySendWatch