Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Beginners

I keep falling out of my pirouettes...
By gummibearz911
On Tue Aug 26, 2008 09:45 PM

I dont know exactly how to correct them.
I do know that it could be spotting but I dont feel like thats the issue.
I lose balance after only a couple (I only started a few months ago)
How do I improve my balance and where should I be turning on my foot?

10 Replies to I keep falling out of my pirouettes...

re: I keep falling out of my pirouettes...
By DDCdancerx
On Wed Aug 27, 2008 07:10 AM
The spot you should be turning on is the ball of your foot, or the space just after the toes heading toward the heel. When you push up after plie, try to pull up securely, and keep your shoulders and neck loose to help with spotting. Spotting is one of the most important factors in turning, so you may want to make sure you are spotting correctly. The problem may just be as simple as little core strength, regardless, though, you just need to practice, practice, practice!
By katieliz456
On Sat Aug 30, 2008 07:47 PM
you should spot, keep abs and butt tight, and bring your foot up really high, like almost to your crotch lol!
By gummibearz911
On Sun Aug 31, 2008 04:52 PM
Haha thanks.
Maybe I am just not pulling up tight enough?
Idk. I will ask my teacher when dance starts up again.
By never_katiemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:48 AM
It's all about pulling up and having the turning leg nice and straight; unless further specified. Also it helps not to have your arms out somewhere in space. Turning with willy-nilly arms often just makes it harder.
Good Luck :D
By NickfromDvaldamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Sep 02, 2008 08:04 PM
Here's a really quick add on (once you get past 7 or 8, teachers really start to nit-pick about every part of your turns). Too keep control of your arms, engage your abs as well as your lats. I find that that "pushing down" feeling helps keep my arms from moving at all. It should help you be able to keep your upper body in control.
PS: If you posted a video, we could probably help you more :D
By gummibearz911
On Wed Sep 03, 2008 02:26 PM
Haha thats a good idea!
I might do that!
By cheerspirit
On Thu Sep 04, 2008 09:35 AM
Usually when people fall out of turns its because they are out of alignment. Make sure that you are not raising your hip when you are in passe. It needs to stay even with the other hip. Also, make sure you and not bringing your arms up or down or in. That will throw you off and usually starts to happen after multiple turns.
By amandaclaire
On Tue Sep 09, 2008 04:52 PM
This is always how I was taught in class. My teacher would bring the spinning, wheely chair from the desk and take it into the classroom. She would sit on it and stick her legs out and spin around. THen, she would pull in her legs and her spin would increase.

When you apply this to turns, you want to go fast so that you can get in more purouettes. Always get in a good plie before going into your pirouettes. I like to think of drilling my foot into the ground. Try doing one foot releves with your foot in posse at the bar. Hold it as long as you can.

Hope this helps!
By NickfromDvaldamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:33 AM
Just balance in passé all the time. I'm a Guitar Hero addict, and sometimes I'll play a song with my leg in passé. Balance whenever you can; it's really good for you.
By Melgart21
On Sun Oct 19, 2008 02:04 AM
This is a great array of information that will help out alot of people. Thanks for all the info bcause I have that problem as well.

ReplySendWatch