Forum: Arts / Religion

Baptize/Christen and other religious ceremonies for babies....What's a Unitarian to do!
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Aug 28, 2008 02:01 PM

Our baby is due in December and I'm trying to come up with a compromise on how to baptize or Christen her while keeping the entire thing non-denominational.

I myself was raised Catholic but basically follow a Unitarian path now.....my husband on the other hand doesn't have a set church he belongs to...if I had to label him it would be as a deist.

I would like/need suggestions on the best way to approach this.

I've looked into the local Unitarian church but they don't seem to offer anything like this.....but yet my parents (I don't his will care as much) will probably like to have some sort of religious ceremony for little Margaret when she gets here.

Anyone else find themselves in the same boat?

What did you do?

6 Replies to Baptize/Christen and other religious ceremonies for babies....What's a Unitarian to do!

re: Baptize/Christen and other religious ceremonies for babies....What's a Unitarian to do!
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Aug 28, 2008 03:23 PM
All I can suggest is calling every type of non-denominational or unitarian church in the area and asking if it's possible to have some sort of dedication ceremony. So, not necessarily a baptism, just a ceremony where you and hubby would promise to raise her to be a good person, teach her about God, etc. I'm in the same boat in the distant future, because it's very important to me to have some sort of infant religious ceremony, but I don't know if a Lutheran baptism is for me. Keep us updated!
re: Baptize/Christen and other religious ceremonies for babies....What's a Unitarian to do!
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Aug 28, 2008 03:28 PM
I asked about this same thing for James. I forget the church that performs the ceremony, or if there is even a particular church that does, but there is a ceremony called a dedication, which is sort of a religious marker in a way - it serves the "purpose" of a baptism, but isn't a religious ceremony.

Jim and I have never come to an agreement. I am Catholic (although I don't attend services), and Catholics baptise at birth, due to their belief in inherited sin. Jim is church Of Christ, although he also doesn't attend church, and in his church, baptism is becoming an adult in the church, and so they don't baptise until much later. So, we haven't come to an arrangement yet. :/
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Aug 28, 2008 03:33 PM
I like the idea of having a dedication. Perhaps you could even hire a celebrant to perform a naming ceremony. I've been researching celebrants, and lots of them who perform weddings also perform funerals, and naming ceremonies. It wouldn't be a baptism, just an occasion for the family to get together and for you to promise to raise little Margaret well, and to teach her tolerance and respect, and to teach her about God, and other religions too if you want, and so on.

You could even do something like that at your home - just invite everyone around for lunch, and have the ceremony beforehand.

Erin.
::righteous babe::
By chrispbinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Aug 28, 2008 06:01 PM
I would agree with the dedication idea. Many of my children's peers have had them, and all those involved have seemed very pleased with the ceremony and the ideals they expressed.

The Uniting Church in Australia actually has a religious dedication ceremony for those who beleive in an adult believer's baptism.
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member
On Thu Aug 28, 2008 06:08 PM
When I was a baby, I got dedicated into the Seventh Day Church. I was later baptized at the age of 13. This has worked out for me, because in my religion...they believe that a person should make the commitment to be with God.
I second the dedication idea. It has worked out very well for myself.
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Aug 28, 2008 09:03 PM
My UUs baptized. They had a water ceremony where everyone would bring in water from places they had visited over the summer or that meant something to them, then they'd boil it and use it for dedications or initiating new members. For babies "dedication" sounds like the right word, they just made the baby a new member of the church I think.

If you talk to your UU Reverend, he should be able to come up with something, I think. They should be flexible and creative, right?

ReplySendWatch