Poll: Arts / Acting

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Which kind of role do you prefer playing?
By THeBaLLeRiNa Comments: 413, member since Sat Jul 15, 2006
On Fri Aug 29, 2008 08:57 PM

I prefer dramatic roles but enjoy comedic ones, too. I just don't do very well in comedic roles that are like stand-out or straight out. It's kinda hard to explain. lol I want to improve though and I'm trying to work on it.

Anyway, how about you? =)

38 Replies to Which kind of role do you prefer playing?

re: Which kind of role do you prefer playing?
By Miss_Wolfiemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 956, member since Sat Oct 14, 2006
On Sat Aug 30, 2008 07:47 PM
I like comedic roles best because I love to make people laugh! =D
By freenky Comments: 20, member since Mon Aug 04, 2008
On Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:45 PM
I love to play in comedies of all types!
By star_bucks98 Comments: 57, member since Sun Aug 17, 2008
On Wed Sep 10, 2008 03:45 PM
I love playing comedic roles. They are just more fun and out there. I don't know what it is, but I'm just better at being flat out outrageous on stage than dramatic.

The only down side is that I am very easy to make laugh. So in rehersal, I always get that look like I'm about to laugh. And it's hard to supress when someone else is laughing too (e.g. the audience). But it's fun, and it's always different too.
By theri_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1244, member since Sat Aug 18, 2007
On Sun Sep 14, 2008 04:35 PM
I like comedic. I just did a monologue that was comedic for an audition, all my others had been dramatic, and it feels so good to have laughter. It lets you know your on the right track. lol.
By dancingismylove7 Comments: 104, member since Mon Jun 23, 2008
On Tue Oct 28, 2008 04:16 AM
Defintely comedic because i love putting a smile on people's faces and i guess the joy of hearing people laugh and making a foul of your self lol but then on the other hand i like drama roles because i love putting emotion into things so either one

xxx dancingismylove
p.s. good post
By Kaela Comments: 1054, member since Fri Jul 29, 2005
On Thu Oct 30, 2008 08:39 AM
I've actually been told that as an Actress, I should not be allowed to do comedy. I don't know why, but I never feel comfortable in a comedy, maybe because its the harder medium.

It doesn't mean that i'm all Gloomy in real life, I'm actually quite funny (At least, I think so LOL!) its just that on stage, I prefer to cry I think!

Kaela x
By x_Nic_xmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2157, member since Sun Jun 10, 2007
On Thu Oct 30, 2008 09:12 AM
Edited by x_Nic_x (180714) on 2008-10-30 09:14:45
I put comedic, but I love both equally. I'm good at both as well, I think. I'm pretty fearless on stage and I'll do what it takes to make people laugh, and I've done some pretty crazy roles in the past. However, I can do dramatic - I get so caught up in the play and get too in character. I've recently discovered that was something I could switch on straight away as well (thank you, Freeze game!) so I'll have to make the most of that in the future :)

Mind you, I couldn't improvise and be funny in front of loads of people... so stand up comedy is not for me! Hehe.
By pointegrl22 Comments: 68, member since Fri Oct 24, 2008
On Mon Nov 03, 2008 07:05 PM
wow, it's wierd how it is fifty and fifty. I prefer both really, but I chose dramatic because it flows better.
I love to make people laugh too. my mom says I am going to be a comedian. but I cant have written lines or it sounds robotic.
By BabyBoo94 Comments: 72, member since Tue Feb 26, 2008
On Sat Nov 08, 2008 03:30 PM
I love to play both roles but I prefer comedic , it always seems to be the one the audience enjoys the most . I'm too young to really play any dramatic roles but I'd love to play Cathy out of wuthering heights or some one similar .
By Ostentatious Comments: 100, member since Sun Nov 16, 2008
On Sun Nov 23, 2008 07:20 AM
Comedic, I think, though I do love a good dramatic role every once in a while. I like to have fun on stage.
By Liritmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4789, member since Sat May 18, 2002
On Sun Nov 23, 2008 03:50 PM
I'm not too particular... The most important thing to me is the challenge. If I don't find the challenge in a role, then I'm not going to enjoy it as much as I otherwise would.
By lyraleperformer Comments: 29, member since Thu Jun 05, 2008
On Sat Jan 10, 2009 09:28 PM
comedic roles are fun, but i'm not good at them so i naturally prefer dramatic roles (which I am good at)
By dancinqt5013member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3865, member since Wed Aug 17, 2005
On Sat Jan 10, 2009 09:51 PM
I love comedic roles. I definitely play them more often. It's funny, in person I'm very quiet and not at all outrageous, but put me on a stage and I will do the funniest stuff. I just have so much fun doing a comedic role, and I'm way better at that than being dramatic.
By damihavnicelegz Comments: 187, member since Mon Mar 04, 2002
On Sun Jan 11, 2009 07:53 PM
I love playing drama, specifically villians... I love when someone says to me afterwards that I was such a bastard...
By AshztnGrl Comments: 13, member since Thu Jun 11, 2009
On Thu Jun 11, 2009 04:54 PM
I like the Dramatic roles because it pushes you out of your comfort zone and when you get there...... it feels great and the final product is amazing
By moonlightrosemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 178, member since Tue May 05, 2009
On Wed Jun 24, 2009 05:00 PM
Dramatic comes more naturally to me. When I do comedic, I start to laugh at myself or the other actors. I went to a state competititon with a comedy pair skit to test my comedy skills. I learned I don't really have any.
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member Comments: 7417, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Wed Jun 24, 2009 05:54 PM
I said dramatic, because I don't really think of myself as an explosively comedic person. My humor, that comes naturally, is very dry when I'm trying to be funny and very obvious when I'm just hanging out. Drama, though, has more sources, and I feel more dramatic emotions.

This being said...i love watching both, and I have the most respect for people who can do comedy...because I can't. I've had very few comedic opportunities, and I've never been happy with my performances of it.
By J_dances Comments: 146, member since Sat Sep 26, 2009
On Sun Sep 27, 2009 01:45 PM
I prefer dramatic overall, but comedian is fun sometimes too. In exams or whatever for my solo I'll usually go for a more dramatic peice. :) I'm awful at being funny...usually it doesn't work. :P
By CompactDiscomember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1076, member since Fri Aug 29, 2008
On Wed Dec 23, 2009 01:26 PM
I LOVE dramatic roles... its just so much more intense
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Wed Dec 23, 2009 01:32 PM
That's tough. I don't think I can choose. I enjoy(ed) both. It just depends on the material and my mindset at the time. Dramatic roles can be draining but very rewarding growth(personal and as an actor) opportunities. But, comedy is always lots of fun.

kk~
By slip_jig_chick Comments: 702, member since Sun Oct 04, 2009
On Wed Dec 30, 2009 03:11 PM
I like 'em both! I just said comedic because it needed some more people. I like things to be even. :)
By fossegirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4177, member since Thu Nov 06, 2003
On Wed Jan 13, 2010 09:45 AM
I have much more experience in comedic acting and prefer it, but if I was ever given a good dramatic role I might feel otherwise!
By Cienmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6075, member since Tue Dec 20, 2005
On Wed Jan 13, 2010 09:51 AM
I always went for the funny stuff in high school forensics (competitive acting), but I ended up with a role at the end of senior year in "To Gillian on her 37th Birthday" that was an interesting character to get into--she was a funny person, but the whole show was rooted in a family trauma (Gillian's death), so there were dramatic moments and I was definitely involved in two screaming matches with another character, haha. I love doing comedy, so that's probably my immediate pick, but dramatic roles can be really interesting and difficult.
By daaaaaaaaaaaance Comments: 39, member since Sat Jan 09, 2010
On Tue Jan 19, 2010 09:23 PM
Comedic, I'm really good at caricatures.
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch