Forum: Advice / Girls & Guys

My job in a restaurant - how to carry 3 plates?
By irish_4_life
On Sun Aug 31, 2008 08:57 AM

So I have to carry 3, HOT, large, heavy dinner plates comfortably by next saturday. I can easily carry teo but then when it comes to carrying 3 I freak out thinking I'mgoing to drop them and start shaking. So I neeeeeed your tips.

I plan on having a bis practice session but your tips and help would be fantastic. Thanks all.

6 Replies to My job in a restaurant - how to carry 3 plates?

re: My job in a restaurant - how to carry 3 plates?
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Aug 31, 2008 09:34 AM
Keep in mind that some plates are easier to stack than others. But here's the general idea...

Put the heaviest plate in your left hand (assuming you're right-handed) with your thumb on the VERY OUTSIDE edge of the plate. Now hold your arm forward so it slopes gently. Place the second plate so it rests on the rim of the first one and also on your arm. You should be able to carry at least 3 plates like this (plus one more in your other hand). If they're really hot, you can put a towel over your arm.

But you'll also need to know how to carry 3 glasses. Put the first glass on your palm and pinch it with your thumb and first finger (keep in toward the top-left). Put the second glass right next to it, and grip it with your other three fingers. Now place the third glass on your palm, resting against the other two glasses.
By Angelinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Aug 31, 2008 03:53 PM
That is so helpful, Panic. I've always been too scared to try 3 plates, but I would carry two like the first two you showed. Mind over matter to hold the third one too!

(However, I work in a country pub where nearly everything is covered in burning hot gravy. You need more than a towel to be able to hold plates that hot.)
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Aug 31, 2008 04:18 PM
^That's very true. And like I said, the design of the plates & glasses also makes a huge difference. That's why some waiters just use trays. I've done both, and honestly, I don't care either way. I worked at a restaurant where it was part of the "experience" to pile 6 plates on each arm. Or to carry 8 glasses at once (you do that by loading three glasses in each hand like I demonstrated, then put a napkin on the glasses, and balance another glass on top). But the plates and glasses were both designed specifically to perform this trick. But in all honesty, the only "trick" to waiting on tables is to always keep moving. It's not exactly rocket science, but I really enjoyed it. So good luck with your new job I4L!! I'm sure you'll be fine.
By irish_4_life
On Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:33 AM
Thanks, I think at the moment it's just lacking in confidence and scared I'll drop them. I'm not a very confident person at all really.
By pointeytoes7791member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:40 AM
Are the plates hot enough to burn your skin? And if so, are you wearing long sleeves/short sleeves? Because when I used to waitress, I would always carry the lightest one in the crook of my right elbow--I'm right handed--and then another in the right hand. Then the last would be in the left hand so that I could put that one down first when I got to the table, as it was my weaker arm and hand. Hope this helps! I don't know if I'm making any sense but feel free to ask me to clarify. About the confidence thing, people really don't judge waitresses that much by how they carry the plates. Usually, they're just happy to get their food!
By testperandr
On Thu May 06, 2021 02:14 PM
I own a small and cozy cafe in my small city, and two months after opening, my main decision was to switch to eco-friendly eating utensils.

The first step was to go completely online delivery (created a menu using the service yammy.best), then hired couriers (only bikes, no vehicles that can pollute the air) and began to slowly develop.

Now I have completely switched to the environmentally friendly format of online delivery and I do not need to carry plates or worry about what they might break.

ReplySendWatch