Forum: Arts / Religion

new college student, need some advice on devotionals/books/etc.
By last_slowdance22
On Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:09 AM

Hi everyone! this might be a long post, so I apologize in advance....

Background information: I grew up in the United Methodist Church. Lately have been disagreeing with things in my church, but still believing fully in God.

So I'm a brand new college student, living 2 1/2 hours away from home. Before I left for college, I was at home in bed one night talking to God, saying "I can't do this." And in my head I hear something: "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord." Again, I said, I can't do this." And another verse pops up: "Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow." I know this is God telling me to chill out and let Him lead.

Question: I'm looking for devotionals or books about getting closer to God in college, and thought you guys could help me out! I'm currently re-reading "Eat Pray Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert which is a fantastic book, and am sort of reading Blue Like Jazz, though I'm not in love with that book. Any ideas?
Thanks so much!

7 Replies to new college student, need some advice on devotionals/books/etc.

re: new college student, need some advice on devotionals/books/etc.
By VelvetRagamuffinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:59 PM
Try Traveling Mercies by Anne Lamott. It's the ultimate faith "pick-me-up." Other options include Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell, The Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennan Manning, and The Relentless Tenderness of Jesus by Brennan Manning.

All four of these have greatly influenced how I perceive faith, Christianity, and really just life in general.
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Sep 01, 2008 08:03 PM
I might have to check out some of these books...

I've been a bit confused lately I must say
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:57 PM
My all time favorite daily devotional is My Utmost For His Highest by Oswald Chambers.

You can read the daily entries online if you don't want to get the book:

www.myutmost.org

:)
By driven920
On Fri Sep 19, 2008 07:50 PM
I loved "Captivating" by John Eldredge and "Redeeming Love" by Francine Rivers....hope they guide you, as they have guided me :)
By Napolimember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Oct 17, 2008 09:50 PM
Knowledge of the Holy by A. W. Tozer is fantastic but dives quite deep into theology. Tozer also has devotional books, which are quite good.

Have you thought about getting Our Daily Bread devotional? You can read them at www.rbc.org . . .

If you want an inspiring fictional story that will encourage you to seek the Lord in all you do, I would suggest A Voice in the Wind by Francene Rivers. (driven920 was right in suggesting Francene Rivers. She has some amazing books)
By dancingducky_
On Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:09 PM
I LOVE Anne Lamott. Traveling Mercies is exceptional. One of my all time favorites. (Most of her books are somewhere on my favorites list and the series that she has on faith is at the top.)

Oswald Chambers is a great daily one, and you can usually find it super cheap. Another good daily devotional is A Year with C.S. Lewis. It gives you a reading from one of his works every day. Lewis is another favorite of mine. Any of his books are great reads.

Another suggestion is to look up biographies of people you admire. Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret changed my life. The title sounds cheesy but the book is amazing. Look up some other great heroes of the faith and read about how they've lived their lives.

I hate most christian fiction, but I do like Francine Rivers quite a bit. Went through a phase where I read all of her books.
By dancinqt5013member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Oct 22, 2008 09:26 AM
Meeting the Living God by William J. O'Malley is pretty good. It was actually my religion textbook in 11th grade and it's written by a Jesuit Priest, so it's sort of catholic based. But I read it after feeling sort of the same thing as you. First I was doubting God, then I figured out he exists, then I just stopped agreeing with the catholic church. Even though the auther is catolic, the book is not so much about going to church and all that. It's more about explaining God's existence. But I found it very true and written from a more knowledgeable, modern perspective on God (well, it's actually about 30 years old, but it's more modern then the bible, right?). And he wrote the book for teenagers, specifically his high school students (he was actually my religion teacher's religion teacher). Seeing as I tend to hate most theology books, I was really surprised that this one was actually good. Even if you're not catholic, you should read it.

I definately know what you're going through. College is hard to start as is (especially with a mother who calls you every sunday to ask if you went to church). And religion is tricky. If you're having problems agreeing with the church, maybe you could try exploring other religions. Since you're in college, you might have access to a World Religions class of some sort. It might help you to explore other religions a little. It's wierd, but hey, everyone believes in the same god to an extent and it can really help you settle on what you believe. Everyone in my world religions class last year has a really strong faith now, and we all went into that class totally confused about the church, but believing in god.

ReplySendWatch