Forum: Arts / Religion

christians setting a bad example.
By snackcakemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Sep 04, 2008 09:46 PM
Edited by snackcake (106171) on 2008-09-04 21:48:50 spelling

I have not subjected myself to a certain religion, such as a christian or catholic, etc.

I beleive in God, and I have faith in him. I pray to a lord that I believe in. I have never been to church.

I am very disappointed by the so called proclaimed christians in my area.

Everyone I went to school with were christians and spoke freely and openly about their religion.

Its as though, where I live, being religous is a fashion trend. Everyone goes to church and attends youth groups.

But thats not the problem.

These christian teens are doing the opposite of what they should be doing as devoted christians, and that bothers me.

I have friends that are christians and will go out on a saturday night and drink with friends, have sex and do drugs, then get up and go to church the next day. :(

I know of other teens who have had sex at church!

While debating gay marriage in my debate class a boy spoke up and said he was against gay marriage bc he was a christian.

I laughed at him, bc I know this boy very well, and he is the biggest druggie I know of and is sexually active. Well isn't sex before marriage also against his religion?

I guess I'm just venting bc I'm horribly disappointed.

I have never been to church in my entire life. I have always wanted to go and learn as much as I could about God. I am not a perfect person. I am not holding myself to a higher standard than those around me, but I do not claim to be christian and preech it to those I know. I dont think it is right for those who do not follow their own religion to push it upon others and act as though they are better bc they have a lable.

I want to understand why this is happening. Why has religion become so corrupt? Does anyone else agree with me that something is not right here?

I am not specifically attackng christians.I only chose to use the christian lable bc the majority of those in my area that I am speaking of are christian.

10 Replies to christians setting a bad example.

re: christians setting a bad example.
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:05 PM
Two things to remember...

1. In *every* group of people, there are people setting bad examples and making a bad name for the group. Christians, Muslims, Chinese, Mexicans, Females, etc.

2. All sins are equal. I am not trying to justify anything but it's God's place to judge - not mine. So, for example if you lie about something - in God's eyes that sin is just as equal as going out and drinking.
By VelvetRagamuffinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Sep 05, 2008 07:11 AM
Well, you're setting a bad example of English grammar by not capitalizing proper nouns and using apostrophes in contractions in your sentences. Get that damn log out of your own eye before you start complaining that Christians are setting a bad example, especially since Christians aren't supposed to look to each other to see a good example.

To answer your question: any organization involving people will become corrupt. Get over it, it's called life.
By dreamyangel
On Sat Sep 06, 2008 06:44 PM
^ Harsh!

Anyway, the first thing any Christian should tell you is that they are not perfect. The best we can do is try to be as good as we can be and live according to the Bible as best as we can. It's hard especially in this day and age but that's why there is forgiveness. We sure do need it.

As far as drinking, drugs and sex, these are teenagers and young adults we are talking about right? At that age, they are going to do what they want. End of story. It takes some maturing and life lessons to realize that there is a reason God says don't do these things. I was lucky and went to a Christian school for 8 years so I have a good strong backbone. However, by no means have I been a great Christian example at all times.

You are right, these people are not acting like good Christians but they will have consequences and learn from them. In the meantime, if you are interested in Christianity, go to church. It won't hurt you and you will see that their choices are not what is being taught. It is up to each individual to decide how they are going to behave.

The world is getting to a point where everything is okay if it feels good so for Christians (and other religions too of course) it's hard to look at everyone else doing what they want and know we can't. Sometimes we give in. Hopefully, we each can see the error in our ways and learn from them.
By KayEllePremium member
On Sat Sep 06, 2008 07:24 PM
It's definitely frustrating arguing with someone who uses their religion as the basis of their argument, but picks and chooses what they want that to support (ie. "gay people are bad because the Bible says so... oh what's that you say about shellfish and slaves? Oh, I only listen to certain PARTS of the Bible, silly!"), but an unfortunate part of life is that stupid people exist everywhere.

There are stupid Christians, and Muslims, and stupid atheists and agnostics and Jewish people too. Name a religion and there will be stupid people taking part. Actually, name pretty much any group, and stupid people will be involved.
By snackcakemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Sep 06, 2008 08:00 PM
thankyou so much for the replies.

I did not mean for the subject to offend anyone, I just wanted to catch the attention of those in this forum.
As for the harsher reply, attacking me based on my poor grammical skills was uncalled for. Yes, I do type poorly. I tend too when I type quickly. But thankyou for taking the time to read this post and reply.

I've been wanting to attend church for quite sometime, since I have never been. I posted this as a vent and a way of gaining a better understanding.

I understand that it is the person setting the bad example and not their religion. I just have trouble seperating the two when certain people preech their religion and then do the opposite. I believe it is these people setting the bad example, and a bad example for their religion. I'm sorry I did not word the subject better.

once again, thankyou.
By indigo_dancer
On Sat Sep 06, 2008 08:35 PM
I believe that too many people are using their religions to justify things. It is not only Christians yes, but Christianity/Catholisim is the most practiced religion in North America. Velvetragamuffin is right the bible does say to clear your errors before you try to clear others on theirs. However, many Christians and Catholics forget that judgement and action is not the responsibility of human beings but God himself. By condemning one's actions and thoughts in favour of religion are not making them examples of good faith.
By Kiwi720Premium member
On Sun Sep 07, 2008 06:11 AM
I believe that through their actions, Christians show people what it means to be a Christian. Of course, I know Christians sin and make mistakes. And of course their are people that are athiests and other religions that could act the exact same way, such as high morals, or treating others kindly.
I think that since God expects so much of us, we tend to expect alot of each other. I have to say I agree with your post.

And someone mentioned that in God's eyes, all sin is the same(which is also something I've heard my whole life.)
Could you show me where in the bible it says that? Because I disagree. If you show me a passage I'll change my mind.

I don't know why, but this feels like the wierdest thing I've ever posted. I'm walking on eggshells, trying not to offend anyone at all.
re: christians setting a bad example. (karma: 1)
By Peridotmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Sep 07, 2008 06:39 AM
Could you show me where in the bible it says that? Because I disagree. If you show me a passage I'll change my mind.

James 2:10- For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.

There are a lot of bible verses that talk about sins. Here is a good website that explains it better: www.gotquestions.org . . .

Snackcake, I think you should go to church. You'll probably find that there ARE some genuine, nice Christians- but they're quiet. They're humble and they don't go around claiming that they are Christians. They don't need to. They're probably frustrated with their peers, too. Some of the nicest, most godly people I know are very quiet about it. They don't NEED to go around making their religion and their values known, because they are an example just by being themselves.

~Dot
By miraclefrmheavnmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Sep 07, 2008 09:08 PM
The Bible also says that we are not to judge one another, only God can judge those people.

I know it's hard not to judge people at times, but we must not. It's not our place at all.
re: christians setting a bad example. (karma: 1)
By MrsFinnigan
On Mon Sep 08, 2008 04:08 PM
Also, I think it's only fair to consider any religion simply on the merits of its teachings, rather than on how its self-proclaimed adherents fail to follow them.

ReplySendWatch