Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Beginners

Lace up Jazz shoes?
By Reesienpointemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:56 PM

The new studio I'm going to requires lace up jazz shoes. I'm used to slip ons, so was just wondering what the difference is and why lace ups are better?

7 Replies to Lace up Jazz shoes?

re: Lace up Jazz shoes?
By bedaZzlemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Sep 05, 2008 09:36 AM
Lace-up jazz shoes are basically the same thing as slip-ons. The only reason I can think of that a studio would use them is because you can kind of "mold" them to your feet because you can tie them tight, whereas the slip-ons may be a little loose as they're not made to fit each individual's feet. I prefer the slip-on jazz shoes, but the lace-ups shouldn't hinder your dancing.

HTH~
Stacey
By DDCdancerx
On Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:29 AM
The studio may also prefer the look of lace-up than slip-on. It shows uniformity when all dancers have the same shoes, and is less distracting. I prefer slip-ons, and my studio does, too.
By dancer4vie4
On Sat Sep 06, 2008 06:06 PM
I have a pair of lace-up jazz shoes. When I bought them the lady at the store said that they were better because the material will last longer.
By Kendra_Dancer
On Sun Sep 07, 2008 08:11 PM
I think they feel pretty much the same. I like slip ons better just because they are faster.
By dance_dance14
On Sat Sep 27, 2008 09:48 AM
I've been using lace-ups my whole dancing career.
I've always liked them and never have had a problem with them.
I do like the feeling of them being snug on my feet.
By LauraBallerina
On Mon Oct 06, 2008 02:32 PM
Make sure you do them in double knots, sometimes you do steps that make them come untied.
By Dance_L0vemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Oct 06, 2008 03:26 PM
I;ve always used laceups. I find them easier so i can tighten them and they dont slip off if they stretch at all.

One problem is though, if you are down in sort of jazz pounce position. You know with your knees on the floor and the top of your feet flat on the floor, the laces can dig in if you are in that position too long or putting too much pressure on them.

ReplySendWatch