Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Beginners

High School Dance Team
By newdancer333
On Sun Sep 07, 2008 01:45 PM

Okay, so I really want to be on my high school dance team. What can I do (short of taking a dance class) to improve my dancing. My friend, who is on the team, is going to help me learn. Anyone ever done this?? Any help would be really appreciated!!

5 Replies to High School Dance Team

re: High School Dance Team
By FollowurDreams
On Sun Sep 07, 2008 03:34 PM
If you are a beginner I would definently reccomend working on flexibility to begin with, and if you are wanting to take a dance class to help, you will want to be looking for something that is either a pom technique class, or jazz/ballet technique class. These classes are going to help you achieve flexibility, strength, and will introduce you to the types of moves you will need to be able to demonstrate.

You may also want to get a copy of your school's by-laws for the dance team... They may all be different, but for example, my old high school requires:

1. All types of kicks: Front, Side, Back
2. Leaps
3. Requires a double and triple pirouette (or turn), and an attempt at a quad.
4. Tilt Kicks
5. Fouettes

In addition the are looking for sportmanship, originality, rhythm, and motion technique.

But most important have fun and just show how much you love dancing!!

Best of Luck and Wishes to you!!
I hope this helped you out a little bit!

- FollowurDreams
By dance_dance14
On Sun Sep 07, 2008 03:34 PM
My school dosen't have a dance team, but all I can say is practice your technique and basic moves. Such at leaps, turns etc.
By FollowurDreams
On Sun Sep 07, 2008 03:39 PM
Sorry I just re-read your "short of taking a dance class"... Without taking a dance class, I would see if maybe your friend could work with you maybe once a day or every other day for a period of time. Maybe show you some old dances too, so you can get the hang of it. But yes, work on flexiblity, and have her work on the technique and "tricks" you will have to do.

And if you do decide to check out a dance class or two.. most technique classes you can take for a 1 time fee of like $10-$20. Without having to join the studio.

Sorry the "not" taking a dance class didn't register the first time... lol

-FollowurDreams
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Sep 07, 2008 03:42 PM
This depends on how good your HS dance team is. But for an average team, you can just work with your friend to learn a few dance basics, and you'll probably be fine. Also, you should talk to the dance team director, and ask what will be required during auditions. Showing initiative (within reason) is always rewarded.
By hennabutterfly
On Mon Sep 08, 2008 03:32 PM
Really, what you have to do depends on your high school dance team. I know that some dance teams are very serious, and pretty much the only way you're going to get on them is to have been dancing all your life. The dance team at my high school, though, is a lot more low-key, and there are some girls who had never danced seriously until auditions. So, talk to your friend and find out what she had to do at her rehearsals. Good luck =)

ReplySendWatch