Forum: Ballet / Ballet Choreography

Heinz Clauss died (karma: 1)
By tybalt
On Tue Sep 09, 2008 02:27 AM

It is with great sadness that I read about Heinz Clauss who died some days ago. I have some old videos of the Stuttgart ballet where he danced in the famous company of John Cranco. He was a perfect classical dancer in Balanchines "Apollo", in Cranco's "Ebony Concerto", he was one of the 3 suitors, Lucentio, together with John Neumaier (Hortensio) and Egon Madsen (Gremio), in the "Taming of the shrew", and above all he was Cranco's "Onegin", which was h i s role, together with Marcia Haydee as Tatjana.
After his carreer as a dancer he was director of the John- Cranco-Ballet-School for many years.
In memory of him I imagine the 3rd movement of the 2nd piano concerto by Brahms in which he partnered Marcia Haydee in Cranco's "Initials RBME" with unfortunately his initial "H" missing.

1 Replies to Heinz Clauss died

re: Heinz Clauss died
By tybalt
On Sun Sep 21, 2008 01:06 PM
I'm somehow astonished and disappointed that nobody in this forum knows or wants to comment about Heinz Clauss, the first and best "Onegin" of all times. O.k. at the age of 73 he is history, his active carreer ended in 1976 and most of the members in this forum are much younger, so am I. But everyone interested in ballet history should appreciate his role as a dancer whom Balanchine himself entrusted rehearsing his ballets and for whom John Cranco created some of his most famous roles. I'm lucky to have my Dad's old videos, but I do hope that the directory of the Stuttgart ballet will finally release for publication these ballets, which have been recorded already in the early seventies for TV, so this famous generation of dancers around Marcia Haydee, Richard Cragun, Egon Madsen, Heinz Clauss, Birgit Keil, Vladimir Klos, who have of course all retired, will not be forgotten and their lifework be preserved.

ReplySendWatch