Popular Highland

Any advice on how to apply the metallic braid to vests? by lkglasgow
Any advice on how to apply the metallic braid to vests?

Forum: Ballet / Guys in Ballet

Guys in Ballet
Alterative to a dance belt with my tights (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
By balletmen Comments: 158, member since Thu Jan 06, 2005
On Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:38 PM

I got my black tights in the mail "allens body wear" anyway can I wear a cotton atheltic supporter instead of a dance belt?

13 Replies to Alterative to a dance belt with my tights

re: Alterative to a dance belt with my tights en>fr fr>en
By balletmen Comments: 158, member since Thu Jan 06, 2005
On Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:48 PM
keep in mind my dance studio has no dress code as long as your pants are black.but is a athelic supporter enough support for dance tights and would it be a bad idea to wear my tights without support?
By SilverGreyDancer Comments: 166, member since Mon May 17, 2004
On Tue Sep 16, 2008 09:22 AM
No, an athletic supporter doesn't work the same way as a dance belt.
By yostretch Comments: 136, member since Sat Jan 26, 2008
On Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:52 AM
A jock and a dance belt are 2 different things built to support in different ways
You should wear a dance belt to dance class... even if ther eis no dress code it is still about safety as well as what men are excepted to wear...
By luv2plie Comments: 1880, member since Wed Jul 16, 2003
On Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:13 AM
Use a dance belt. A jock Strap is different.

Kev
By dancer_boi08 Comments: 114, member since Thu May 08, 2008
On Mon Sep 22, 2008 04:07 PM
Most of the time when I dance at class I wear breifs(thighy whites) it doesnt hold you as good as a dance belt but it keeps everything wjere it needs to be until its showtime
By askling Comments: 53, member since Thu Sep 11, 2008
On Tue Sep 23, 2008 07:35 PM
Dance belt. Trust me it makes things so much easier.
By mohabee Comments: 767, member since Sun Dec 08, 2002
On Wed Sep 24, 2008 09:01 PM
Hi Balletmen!

Indeed, wear a dance belt. The standard jock strap has elastic straps that can be seen through tights--your teacher may need to see hips clearly, for alignment purposes. "Whitey Tighteys" also cover the hips, so a dance belt is best when attending class.

A jock strap, even one that's fitting tightly, will not protect the testes from injury--that's a medical fact. Although the chances of getting an "industrial accident" in the line of dancing is fairly slim, one must prepare for a partner's foot getting in the wrong place at the wrong time!

A dance belt also protects the groin--this is important when one is moving fast into a grand jete, or a simple leap upward. Groin injuries for male dancers is rare, but wearing a dance belt minimises the chance for a serious injury.

Besides the reasons we already cited, the symmetry of the male body is also a consideration. I once had a rather ribald male teacher (a well-known ballet instructor)who shrieked in horror when the "symmetry out front" was disrupted!

Keep On Dancing, with good protection!

Mohabee
By LittleButFierce Comments: 882, member since Sat May 05, 2007
On Sat Sep 27, 2008 02:02 PM
Ya, please just wear a dancebelt. :/
By rmdanceguy1 Comments: 883, member since Sat Nov 19, 2005
On Mon Sep 29, 2008 06:21 PM
Edited by rmdanceguy1 (145782) on 2008-09-29 18:26:07
Edited by rmdanceguy1 (145782) on 2008-09-29 18:27:42
Edited by rmdanceguy1 (145782) on 2008-09-29 18:37:53
I have to ask why are you posting the same question over and over? The last time you asked about whether you needed a dance belt was on September 5 in the Ballet Beginner forum. It was shut down due to prior posting. I would think you know what the answer is by now and you should know why an athletic supporter does not work. If it bothers you that much to wear a dance belt, I think maybe you should not wear tights.

Looking back, you also bought a dance belt in July 2005. Why are you asking again if you need it or if there is an alternative?
By danceboy27 Comments: 49, member since Mon Jul 17, 2006
On Sat Nov 22, 2008 05:46 PM
i wear a padded dancebelt all the timei always wear a cup inside my dancebelt
By balletnutter Comments: 84, member since Mon Sep 11, 2006
On Sun Nov 30, 2008 03:24 PM
2 simple questions.
do you want kids?
would you honestly risk it?

please don't be offended but it is hard to put it any other way. The worst part for me was trying to explain to my mum what a dance belt is after me already doing 2 years of ballet and me realizing that I needed something more. If you are just starting out it doesn't seem to be an issue, but when you get into some dances where you have lots of jumps in a row (e.g. I'm learning a simplified version of the bluebird dance from sleeping beauty act 3 for an upcoming end of year performance) you will end up injuring yourself where the sun don't shine and IT WILL BE PAINFUL. ignorance may be bliss but its very risky.
By yostretch Comments: 136, member since Sat Jan 26, 2008
On Mon Dec 01, 2008 09:14 AM
Hey guy

I was rereading some of the comments and came across the fact that you wear a cupin yoru dance belt. I have never heard of anyone wearing a cup as well as a dance belt. So where did you find the cup to wear and who was the person who suggested it?

Curious here

Scott
By AdamTanz Comments: 22, member since Sun Nov 02, 2008
On Mon Dec 01, 2008 08:30 PM
I always say, go with the dance belt. It gives you the support that you need, especially when jumping. Hope this helps.

ReplySendWatch