Forum: General / Tap / Tap - Advanced

Tap - Advanced
Favourite pair of taps are off at the shoe doctor... separation anxiety!
By glitterfairyPremium member Comments: 12135, member since Tue Oct 01, 2002
On Mon Sep 15, 2008 09:18 PM
Edited by glitterfairy (42646) on 2008-09-15 21:19:19

My old old dead dead (fabulous!!!) pair of tap shoes were retired some time ago. Since using the new pair - then taking them to a new shoe doctor - having him royally screw them up - then buying a new pair of tap shoes (because that was cheaper than getting the 2nd pair of shoes 'fixed'), I've now gone back to the 1st pair. They were fine, if slightly uncomfortable from the reinforcing sticking into me, until all the screws started coming out again. So they're getting a new lining to cover up the re-inforcing that was sticking out, new half-soling (they've been plugged up too many times to trust it working again, I thought - this must be the 4th or 5th set of toes taps?), a new rubber non-slip half-sole, and new toe taps. Heels are being left alone, because "why fix it if it's not broken?"

They've gone to a better shoe doctor (with recommendations!) this time though, so there shouldn't be any problems. They're even charging $60 less than the last shoe person I talked to!

But I feel quite scared that my one 100% trustworthy pair of shoes is now out of my hands. I don't have a single pair of good flat shoes on me right now - one bunged-up pair of oxfords, one new pair of oxfords that still needs to be kitted up, one pair of flat buckle-ups that also have screw issues, and are... well, buckle-ups. I forgot how much I took the extra laceup support around my foot for granted until I was doing single wings in my buckle-ups last night, and boy does it make a difference.

I feel like a mother whose baby has been taken off for someone else to mind...

Although I'll be very happy when I have 2 (or 3) pairs of working oxfords. One for my exams/performances, and two for teaching so they can be slowly broken in and not worn down quite so quickly.

7 Replies to Favourite pair of taps are off at the shoe doctor... separation anxiety!

re: Favourite pair of taps are off at the shoe doctor... separation anxiety!
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11196, member since Sat Aug 10, 2002
On Fri Sep 19, 2008 08:36 PM
I got a message for Glitters. The shoe people GLUED her taps on the shoes. I've told her to rip their heads off.

Helen
On Sat Sep 20, 2008 01:20 AM
Edited by glitterfairy (42646) on 2008-09-20 01:23:49
Edited by glitterfairy (42646) on 2008-09-20 02:28:03 edit
Ok, so les shoes are back at chez glitterfairy now. (I've been reading Belle du Jour's blog and the style rubs off, sorry)

Idiot list 20-09-08:
* Toe taps misaligned - extended OVER edge of shoe. Shoe guy proudly explained that this was to make sure people got a nice sound when they did toe kicks instead of just hitting the sole/re-inforcing. Great for people who can't tap and want an extra 'ping' sound on top of the already loud sound made from toe knocks - but a serious tripping hazard for those of us who actually do possess tap technique.

* Non-slip sole placed A WHOLE HALF A CENTIMETRE behind tap, "because some people like to move their taps back". Not only that, but the non-slip sole isn't tapered properly and on one shoe, is basically blunted - massive friction potential between tap and non-slip sole now. One can only presume that the smart shoe people out there would always ASK tappers where they want their tap first before putting the non-slip sole on...

* Glue from non-slip sole somehow placed partially UNDER toe taps. I don't care what kind of f---ing idiot thinks that tapping will loosen up the taps - if there's f---ing glue underneath the taps, it's not going to happen. The guy actually had to undo two of the screws and use a knife to scrape the glue off - does he seriously expect me to PAY for him to screw up the job and then have to correct it myself at home?!?! You DO NOT try to palm off your lousy job and incompetence to 'give it time and it'll loosen up of it's own accord'.

* Thick black paint put around new half-sole and tap so thick that in itself, acted like glue - meaning tap could not move at all, even after screws were adjusted. They had to use a freakin' knife to separate the tap from the sole. Once again - what did they expect me to do, do this myself at home?

All this can only add to my existing 'idiot list' of things to specifically request NOT happen next time:
* Beautifully-aligned heel taps removed during half-soling (which doesn't affect heels) and mis-aligned
* Taps positioned AWAY from edge of tap because "That's how the studio next to my old store liked them", even though I had specifically requested the taps be put flush against the sole of the shoe

Oh and Helen, sorry but my nice side got the better of me and all I could do was say the bare amount of words required. We had some significant disagreements over how much taps were loosened - they were convinced that slightly loose taps (as in, able to move a few millimetres either way - that's only moderately loose in the tap world!!!!!!) were a complete waste of time because the new Capezio taps had small holes and needed to be kept right against the sole to avoid the screws 'flying out'.

But I think they got the message when I whipped out my own phillips screwdriver and started fixing the screws to my liking.

The only shoe person I trust is currently overseas and will not be back until November - furthermore they're so far away I have to mail my shoes over. I'd like to think there's someone a bit more local who I can chat with face-to-face, but I'm beginning to lose hope.

PS: For those living on the North Shore in Sydney, I have compiled a 'Black List' of shoe people to avoid. If you want it, PM me.
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11196, member since Sat Aug 10, 2002
On Sat Sep 20, 2008 08:44 PM
Glitters, I certainly hope you did not part with any money here.

I still can't believe that the only responsible person I've found so far to deal with tap shoes has been the dude at my local Mr Minit. He did an awesome job fixing my shoes.

Helen
On Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:39 PM
Only for the initial job - additional 'fixups' like shaving down of front tap, scraping off of glue and separating paint layer between tap and sole was all done for free.

I so have to take you with me next time I pick up a pair of shoes. Or, I need to take them down to Canberra with me next time I visit.
By adageacemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3982, member since Thu Sep 01, 2005
On Sun Sep 21, 2008 02:02 AM
Oh, glitters honey... that is awful. I can't believe the bad luck you've had. I am so glad I've not graduated to high-end shoes yet or worn any down to the extent of having to go through this nightmare.

Want me to come and rip their heads off for you? I'll gladly do so. Stupid stupid people...
On Sun Sep 21, 2008 06:33 AM
You should not have paid for the initial job if it means you're going to have to get it fixed again anyway.

You need to grow some balls, girl!!

Helen
On Sun Sep 21, 2008 07:14 AM
In their defence, they did a decent job. They technically did all I asked for. (half-soling, "put these taps on", etc)

It's just that their idea of how things should be done and my idea are different, and I didn't specify exactly how things should be done - I should have, but I guess I must have been flying high that someone recommended these guys to me. Plus, I'm used to not having to specify how things are done with the other guy who does my shoes.

I think things would be better if I spoke to a guy that actually knew dance shoes - pref a tapper or parent of a decent tapper. Will keep looking :S

ReplySendWatch