Forum: Arts / Humor

Camp Stories
By mrslovettmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:49 AM

This past summer, I was a volunteer counselor at a summer camp for two weeks - first with Juniors (3rd-6th graders) and then with Minis (1st-3rd graders). Needless to say, there were numerous occasions when I found myself trying very hard not to laugh at the kids when, you know, they were right there.

Anyway, there was one time that simply surpassed anything else that had ever happened to me as a counselor.

It was with one of my Mini girls, Tabitha. She was six years old and one of the cutest kids I've ever seen - page-boy haircut, dirty blonde hair - a short, skinny little thing who just barely came up to my waist. Well, on the last day of camp, the whole Mini camp (20 kids, five counselors) was playing water games out on the field. Well, not gameS so much as one game called The Kids Try To Get The Counselors All Wet With Water From The Sprinklers. Anyway, we were all just sort of running around when Tabitha came up to me with a very funny look on her face and said, "Anna, I think I had an accident."

"Oh, honey," I said, "did you pee in your bathing suit?"

"No," she replied, the funny look still on her pudgy little face, "I pooped."

Only at camp.

Anyone else got a crazy camp story? :P

4 Replies to Camp Stories

re: Camp Stories
By dancingducky_
On Sun Sep 21, 2008 07:12 PM
I worked at camp for several summers. There are so many funny stories that I can share. One of my favorites comes from my first summer. We were all sitting around in the evening when a couple of kids came in with their babysitter. The little girl was six, the boy was four. The boy had long blond curly hair. On the way out winked and waved to my friend. She said, "Ooh, you're going to be a ladies man!"

His older sister whips around and scolds my friend, "He's not a lady! He's a boy! YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH!"

Now this little girl is 11 and we still like to tease her for that moment.
By mrslovettmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Sep 21, 2008 08:38 PM
^ Hahaha that's so cute!! :D
By Ashleigh95member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:53 PM
Hey

Ha ha, how funny

Ashleigh x
By TeenDancer16member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Nov 04, 2008 03:02 PM
I've been to so many camps as the actual camper, not a counselor, but it always seems to be at night when everyone's tired and goofing off that are the most memorable.

I wish I had a picture of the tents, because it's important to understand how they're set up to get why it's funny, but I'll try and describe it. So, pretty much each tent can fit up to 8 kids. The bottom is a wooden platform fairly high off the ground so that there is a stair at the front to step up. The actual tent part is made of canvas, and there are three poles across the centre of the tent to hold it up, and little hooks on the sides of the wooden platform to hook it down. SO in the day the canvas can be opened and rolled up to let all of our stuff air out, and at night it is hooked down all around the sides.

So the way we set up our tent was that we would each have our air matresses around the outside with all our junk in the middle. I guess we got the faulty tent that had the broken loops that wouldn't hook down, because one night I woke up to the sound of my friend shouting. Apparently her airmatress was on the side not hooked down, and her whole bed, with her still on it, had slipped right out the side of the tent, off the platform, and hit the ground outside. So we had to lift the canvas and pull her back inside.
I think it's one of those things that you had to be there, but it was absolutely hilarious!!

ReplySendWatch